Quantcast
Have you ever fucked up behind the wheel? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever fucked up behind the wheel?

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default Have you ever fucked up behind the wheel?

It's very common for people, especially us car enthusiasts, to proclaim that we are better drivers than most other people. Now this may be true most of the time, but at some point or another, we've also all messed up behind the wheel. I think it'll be interesting to hear about all the mess ups. So let's hear the stories; I'll start.

I'm normally a very alert driver. I can be very aggressive during rush hour traffic, but I am always alert and I am careful to drive defensively to avoid accidents. However, a couple days ago, I nearly caused a ridiculous accident and it would have been my fault 100%. I was merging onto Deerfoot while going about 100 and while traffic was moving at about 80. I found a small spot to squeeze in and went for it. A bit of braking required, but no biggie, at least not until the car in front slammed on his brakes. I was fucked, I couldn't slow down enough, and I wasn't sure the car behind me would be able to avoid hitting me either. So I dodged back out. But there was already some Nissan SUV next to me in my original lane, so I basically ended up driving between two lanes for a couple seconds, while the SUV had to move over to avoid hitting me.

I felt like a total douche after. I think it was the dumbest shit I've pulled since being a teenager.

My Ride
    NC1

4 years ago I crashed and completely wrecked my 2000 Prelude. It was a write off. I was speeding on Glenmore Trail East over 140kms/h on bald summer tires during a snowy -25 winter evening. Oh man I can't believe how much of an idiot I was back then. I'm ashamed.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    It's very common for people, especially us car enthusiasts, to proclaim that we are better drivers than most other people. Now this may be true most of the time, but at some point or another, we've also all messed up behind the wheel. I think it'll be interesting to hear about all the mess ups. So let's hear the stories; I'll start.

I'm normally a very alert driver. I can be very aggressive during rush hour traffic, but I am always alert and I am careful to drive defensively to avoid accidents. However, a couple days ago, I nearly caused a ridiculous accident and it would have been my fault 100%. I was merging onto Deerfoot while going about 100 and while traffic was moving at about 80. I found a small spot to squeeze in and went for it. A bit of braking required, but no biggie, at least not until the car in front slammed on his brakes. I was fucked, I couldn't slow down enough, and I wasn't sure the car behind me would be able to avoid hitting me either. So I dodged back out. But there was already some Nissan SUV next to me in my original lane, so I basically ended up driving between two lanes for a couple seconds, while the SUV had to move over to avoid hitting me.

I felt like a total douche after. I think it was the dumbest shit I've pulled since being a teenager.
    i was driving my corolla gts on glenmore going like 90 km/h one time going south just before blackfoot and i tried to initiate a drift by jerking the wheel left and right and stabbing the gas. it finally gave out but i couldn't control the slide and i spun the car around a couple times, and almost smoked the center median. the cars behind me had to slam on their brakes to avoid me while my car was spread across two lanes facing oncoming traffic.

oh wait, that wasn't me. it was YOU. guess you ARE a shitty driver eh?
    Last edited by gpomp; 06-22-2006 at 12:58 AM.

No - not ever. Way to go douchebag!

J/K

My latest of many "driving errors" was while I was driving with my wife in the passanger seat. I was turning right onto a busy road, and I was so intent on timing my moment to pull into the right hand lane, that I did not notice a pedestrian to my right.

According to my wife, the pedestrian made eye-contact with her (not with me, obviously since I was concentrating on the traffic to my left). At the moment I found my spot to drive forward, this woman took a step into the intersection. I still had no idea she was there until my wife screamed at me to stop. I hit the brakes hard, looked to my right and saw the most frightened looking elderly woman. I sort of waved a weak apology at her, and since I was now part way into the intersection, I proceeded forward. At this point she recoverd from her shock, and her shock had turned to anger/hatred towards me and my stellar situational awareness. She gave my car a tap with her purse as I drove by.

Luckily for me, I was in the minivan, so I didn't give a shit. My wife and kids treat that thing worse than a gentle tap from a frightened/angry old lady could ever compete with.

This doesn't really have much to do with me fucking up, though I've had a couple of close calls, but here's my story.

I was heading back towards Deerfoot from CMS, just picked up my tire (my car had a flat and I took the old beater out to pick up the new tire) and right past STRD there's an intersection (12th St. I believe) and the light was red, a big truck in front of me, and for all of you who are familiar with the road, you know that it's on a slope downward. So I hit the brakes, and they held for a second and then all of a sudden shot to the floor and the car started picking up speed. Now this was an automatic so I didn't really have a chance to downshift or anything. Almost rear ended the huge truck in front of me though I swerved and luckily missed it. I went through the intersection at a red light and got t-boned by another big truck on the rear driver's side quarter pannel. If I had left CMS .5 seconds earlier the truck would have hit dead on where I was sitting and with the beater and no safety features whatsoever, well god knows.

That was one of the scariest moments of my life, I didn't stop shaking for 45 minutes.
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

My Ride
    2000 Prelude

i had just left my friends house in my civic, i rolled through a stop sign, looked to my left to grab my seatbelt and when i looked back to the right to click it in, booooooooooooom, i got t-boned, lady was going at least 70 but it was my fault cuz i rolled through the stop sign, quite possibly the most retarded moment of my life..
    seatbelt saved me though, only injury i got was a bruise on my chest, my civic was totalled though

My Ride
    It's held together by zip ties

3 years ago, was pissed off cause i got fired from my job over 25cents. so i was all pissed off and started drifting everywhere. so i knew it was bound to happen cause it was a wet evening, i threw the car sideways, awsome drift may i add, but when i went to straight the car out good old under steer kicked in. and i smashed into a curb. after this i stalled the car, and they had to wait for me to come off of the curb.

we all have dumb ass moments every once in a while, my last one was going through a red light while i was trying to impress my girlfriends dad talking about golfing, about 9 months ago.

My Ride
    Subaru GR

Part I:
    Smashed my 2000 lude 4 days after I got it......7 g's worth of damage. The worst part was it was by the university at prime time 9am. Its was the shoulder checking while the guy in front slammed on his brakes accident. I drove sobbing all the way home with a busted front bumper, smashed passenger side fender and headlight.....

Part II:
    The day I got the lude back from the accident, ran a stop sign. I was at Autotemp and was going straight through. I missed the stop sign cause the sun was glaring on it and I couldn't see it, but I knew it was there. My passenger screamed out STOP!! But it was too late to brake before the intersection. I saw a mini-van coming from the left and a car coming from the right. I was like OMG not again!! Scared the day lights outta that soccer mom that was about to T-bone me, missed me by about a foot. She swerved right and I braked hard and steered right. Layed a nice patch down and ended up facing the oncoming traffic with a nice pick up trunk touching my front bumper.....stopped for a couple seconds, gave my "I'm an asshole" wave, gathered my thoughts and proceeded into the parking lot adjacent and stopped for 10mins. My passenger in the mean time managed to rip his hands off my dash......

Been safe ever since *knock on wood*
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

wow ... coming back from a business thing in kelowna I was daydreaming about how awesome the event was, then realized there was an immediate sharp right hand turn over railway tracks but the road was wet because it had been raining ... I cranked the wheel to the right and drifted sideways into the oncoming lane and thought I was going to pull through and be ok, luckily no other traffic, but my car started spinning out of control, I was doing like 110 in a recommended 60 turn <I was really zoned daydreaming> next thing I knew I was sliding sideways towards the ditch facing opposite direction as I was, I wasn't slowing down and "scrape" I went maybe half way off the road .. there was a fence just at the side of the ditch too I was 6 or 7 feet away from, i thought it'd be expesnive...

I quickly collected myself, started the car and was able to drive it out of the ditch into this drive way I had skidded past, I got out of the car inspectd damage and found NONE! I had narrowly escaped a wreck , adrenaline was going but I jumped up and cheered, hopping in and kept going .... man that was scary.

as for stupid thing sin the past, I came out of SAIT parking lot after dropping off some chicks nad ws shoing off, it was near end of summer roads wereok but gravel ...

I came out of sait, got up to 120, slowed down to about 70 and continued to slow to make the right turn onto 14street north from 16ave and hit gravel, went skidding towards a traffic lite pole, tried to abort the turn and get into the main road but ended up launching on the island because of a large pile of ice, took out amerge sign while airborn out a merge sign and my back tire caught the when my back passenger tire caught the edge of the sign and landed me facing north on the 14th exit if you were to turn LEFT on 16ave... I peeled forward, heard a wobbling and screeching from my rear tire, I knew my car was fucked... I went to pull a u turn on 20ave and ended up doing 360 degrees. I had smashed the rear quarter panel, driver side door had a small piece out, and snappd my rear tie rod end... cost me ~$2500 to fix

all becaues I was showing off to my friend who was in the driverside, and luckily wearing his seatbelt.. this made me take a seriously look at my driving habits and calmed down especially when having somebody else in the car... carryin gpassengers is a big responsibility...t he biggest thing that struck me was if it had been worse, would I really want to have to tell somebody else' dad I had killed his son ? ...
    DannyO

Oh yea, I also met Doris..

My Ride
    NOTHING RIGHT NOW :(

my first time drivin in the winter, i didnt no wtf was up cuz my windows would keep on fogin up wit a layer of ice, i was turning right, there was a yield sign, i didnt see any traffic coming cuz of the windoes so i just kept goin forward, almost hit the car but the toher driver cut into the other lane to avoid me.

Then the next weekend i was driving on the same road goin forward, i was goin throught a green light, some cop goin the other way gets to the intersection and turns on his lights and siren to make a U turn while i was goin throught the intersection. i had to swerve into the curb and hit a patch of ice, i ended up getting stuck there for 15 mins tryin to get my car out

My Ride
    GC8 Sti R

Hehe, 17, And i havent gotten into an accident, or even been pulled over once. But still, i have had my share of fuck ups.
    Worst one ever, and i mean it was CLOSE.
    Last winter when i was 16, i decided to head er home at about 3am (way past my GDL limit) all was well on that cold winter night, except for the fact that the road had a 2inch layer of packed snow over it. I'm almost home, going down a very dead road along a playground, i was doing 30k, and for some reason my brain didnt comprehend the yield sign... so what do i do? jam on the brakes, beginning the worst understeer slide known to man. i'm quickly approaching my neighbours brand new Grand Am GT (nothing special, but brand new none the less) and my brain finally kicks in, i let go of the brake, and pull the most amazing shit i have ever done in a car. i point the nose just behind the Pontiac, and miss it, just barely, i then slam into the curb (its the rolled type thank god) hit the brakes again, and slide a few feet into the neighbours lawn. Now, i am shaking like crazy, click into reverse, and sit there and spin for 10 seconds. The neighbours outside light turns on. At the point i am really panicing, someone is coming to the door, and i am half way up their lawn, so i finally ease the car off the grass, and relize that i was sliding sideways when i went onto the lawn, so im now 1 inch from the Pontiac. I ever so slowly back it up, and head up the street in the opposite direction of my house, as fast as my shitty motomaster tires could handle. Now that night, was an act of God i tell you.

My Ride
    180sx

I was going around the corner at the anderson on ramp to deerfoot and I was racing one of my friends that goes that way and I was doing 140 around it after a hard long rain. I ended up going over the curb around in the grass a couple of times then was facing side ways on the anderson to deerfoot route wrecked the entire fron suspension and rim and tires had to replace the good side of my car and there was only mechanical damage. That was brutal . Not to mention that it is a chrysler concorde. Funny thing is my passenger said after it happened is that the CD didin't skip.
    Payner

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

I was driving down Macloud with my buddy, going north just past South Center Fine Cars. I was shoulder checking to my right, to pass around this corrolla (who I thought was moving). He wasnt, and I had to cut my jetta so hard right to miss him, I hit the curb on the right side of the intersection.

Originally posted by SKR
    You know what, I'm such a ricer. More form than function, oversized exhaust, Japanese engine, and if I put the tailgate down it kind of acts as much like a wing as the picnic table wings the fast and furious guys are bolting to their cars.

driving home around 12ish night time from 5th ave and memorial i noticed that the city was cleaning the road because it looked wet. what i didn't realize was that it was -4 (when i got home and checked) and the lane was iced out. so i proceded into the turn around 55-60ish and what do ya know, my rear end swings out, countersteer, grips on road, swings the other way, looks like i'm going to smoke the curb, countersteer some more till i finally did a 360 and stopped. i guess that would be me fucking up going over 15-20 on that turn that's recommended for 40, but who in their right mind decided to clean the roads when temperatures are near 0?

My Ride
    obnoxious bikess.

driving down memorial east, turned to go up the ramp and over the bridge to go onto st georges drive, and i came around the corner. was spaced out and couldnt even see the light (im tall the roof blocks alot of lights for me) then i noticed it was red, it was raining so i slid through the intersection and played bumper cars with two lebanese girls, we both pull over to ttalk i get out, crack bumper and headlight and the bumper was pushed all down, they had a little scratch. for sure my fault but these two girls jump out and start apologizing? i was just like, no no no, it was my fault ill pay to fix your car bla bla bla, all said and done nice girls, didnt go through insruance and i paid.

fuck like two weeks ago though, scariest shit ive ever seen. they were doing the deerfoot road cleaning near 130th ave, no signs letting me know what was ahead and all of a sudden the turn under thebarlow over pass (going south) they cut it down to one lane in about 100m. so fuck im already mad, then there is like lights out where they are cleanign so i cant see where the fuck to turn through the pylons, a SUV in front of me goes to turn and sees a pylon infront of him rips it back to the right and nearly fuckin flips! now that scared the shit outta me and my girlfreind. he shoulda just drilled the pylon..

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by xrayvsn

My latest of many &quot;driving errors&quot; was while I was driving with my wife in the passanger seat. I was turning right onto a busy road, and I was so intent on timing my moment to pull into the right hand lane, that I did not notice a pedestrian to my right.

According to my wife, the pedestrian made eye-contact with her (not with me, obviously since I was concentrating on the traffic to my left). At the moment I found my spot to drive forward, this woman took a step into the intersection. I still had no idea she was there until my wife screamed at me to stop. I hit the brakes hard, looked to my right and saw the most frightened looking elderly woman. I sort of waved a weak apology at her, and since I was now part way into the intersection, I proceeded forward. At this point she recoverd from her shock, and her shock had turned to anger/hatred towards me and my stellar situational awareness. She gave my car a tap with her purse as I drove by.

Luckily for me, I was in the minivan, so I didn't give a shit. My wife and kids treat that thing worse than a gentle tap from a frightened/angry old lady could ever compete with.
    Watch out for something along these lines!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...27841583480458
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Haha, yeah it was something like that.

My Ride
    1.7EL,GTR

when i first got my drivers, i bought a suzuki grand vitra right.(bought it in winter) drove it for three weeks then one day me and my buddie and going south on deerfoot. we were going to get some lunch before we had to go write our test for school. so i was drving and got on the the cafrobrige (spelling) then out of no where this lady in a m3 rear ended me which made my suv spin out and hitting the cament piece in the middle. and then which made m suv go into a roll 5 times and end up on the other side. if another car would of hitted my suv i think i would be dead. i walked out of the car and was scared shitless. only have a broken wrist and my friend had glass in his eye.
    got lots of money from that and the woman who hit me lost her drivers for D.U.I

My Ride
    2006 Honda Civic LX

who hasent?

My Ride
    99 EK9 Hatch

Not too long ago I was picking up new tires for my car. I had been working since 5am and had to drive all the way from Cochrane to S.E. Calgary to pick them up. Finally got the tires around 4pm and driving home from the tire place I got stuck in crazy traffic. I decided to take a short cut through some back roads to avoid Glenmore. Got myself a little backwards and thanks to a combination lack of sleep, glaring sun, and lost-ness ended up running a light a good 3-5 seconds AFTER it had turned red. People were already moving through the intersection. I didn't even realize what I was doing until I was half-way through the intersection. Got a bunch of honks and dirty looks. Any accidents would have been completely my fault. Felt like the biggest asshole.

Photograph courtesy of the Calgary Police Service

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast