Quantcast
One Car Garage vs. Two Car Garage - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: One Car Garage vs. Two Car Garage

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

For an attached garage, you will likely need a proper foundation. Factor that into your cost.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. Build a shed if you need more storage space. Build a car port if you need somewhere to put another car.

If you plan on selling the house, make it someone else's problem.

It will cost you $10K+ to do it. think about it. A garage package will cost you $5-7K from totem. That doesn't include labour. The concrete will likely run you $2K for a pad, and way more if you build a foundation. If you have to do a foundation, it will cost you money to dig and also tear down the existing structure. You have to repave the driveway.

It is going to take a couple of weeks to get a permit from the city. etc.

I see a $15K project that will add very little in terms of equity in your home (compared to the rest of the house).

Develop you basement if it isn't already or redo an old kitchen.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by benyl
    For an attached garage, you will likely need a proper foundation. Factor that into your cost.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. Build a shed if you need more storage space. Build a car port if you need somewhere to put another car.

If you plan on selling the house, make it someone else's problem.

It will cost you $10K+ to do it. think about it. A garage package will cost you $5-7K from totem. That doesn't include labour. The concrete will likely run you $2K for a pad, and way more if you build a foundation. If you have to do a foundation, it will cost you money to dig and also tear down the existing structure. You have to repave the driveway.

It is going to take a couple of weeks to get a permit from the city. etc.

I see a $15K project that will add very little in terms of equity in your home (compared to the rest of the house).

Develop you basement if it isn't already or redo an old kitchen.
    Best advice of the bunch. Housing market is showing sign of slow down. Either it's just summer, nobody knows. But unless you can find a few buddies to work on it, paying someone else is almost cost prohibitive.

My Ride
    Ol' Rusty Truck

Default Re: garage

Originally posted by gram
    garages are more expensive to build in McKenzie towne because of the forced 5 foot set back (more concrete on the skirt)

Garage packages at Totem/Home depot are WAY cheaper than 7 grand (not sure where the guy above got his pricing) I had a quote from them less than a month ago for 4 grann for a 24x24 garage package (you have to buy siding+ eastraugh on top of this)
    $4000 sounds great, does that include the concrete pad?

I wouldn't do it as an investment. However I would do it for convenience. We built a natural gas heated double detached garage last year and it ran just under $40k all said and done including foundation, electricity, lighting, drywalling, windows, and a bunch of other requests that we had.

I believe it was worth it for the convenience, although we probably will not recoup that money when we go to sell our house since we also have a double attached garage.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default Re: Re: garage

Originally posted by Alex_FORD

$4000 sounds great, does that include the concrete pad?
    There is no way it includes the concrete pad.

My Ride
    335i

Default Re: Re: Re: garage

Originally posted by benyl

There is no way it includes the concrete pad.
    It's about $4000 for the basics and $1500 for a pad. A nice garage should run about 8-10k altogether.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Ol' Rusty Truck

If you buy from Totem, buy the 7/16 instead of 3/8 for the roof and walls.

They told me that I didn't need it(I agree), but it only added about 10cents per sheet to my bill - maybe $20 total cost.

My Ride
    BMW, should buy Toyota

Default Garage

I got quotes for a concret pad for way over 2 grand. More like 4 grand if you want to add a foundation it is even more than that. If you are going to build you may as well build it correctly with a foundation wall system (keeps the wood off the wet ground)

I figured if I built it my self 24x24 I'd be looking at about 10 grand all in. To get someone to build it would ahve been in the 17ish mark.

A garage makes your house more desirable and should raise the value quite a bit, but then again in the current market if your house is say 15 grand more than a house that is exactly the same w/out a garage some people would buy the other one as they could possibly be priced out of the market or near their maximum amount. It's really hit or miss.

Extending/rebuilding the single garage would actually be more expensive than to just rebuild everything probably (it will have to meet current code as well which could be difficult if it's old construction)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2