Quantcast
Fixing Hail Damage? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Fixing Hail Damage?

My Ride
    99 EK9 Hatch

Default Fixing Hail Damage?

I was unfortunate enough to drive through the center of a hectic hail storm the other day. I was sure the sky was falling on my car.

After I got home I inspected the damage and I found 4-5 small dents on my roof from the hail. However, when I run my hand along them there is no depression in the actual roof.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this relatively cheap. I'm not going to claim this on insurance, they are small and barely noticable dents. When it comes to my car though I like it to be in perfect condition.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this?

Maybe some crazy waxing/buffing, and some sort of dent removing apparatus?

Suggestion welcome.

Photograph courtesy of the Calgary Police Service

My Ride
    90 jdm ST185 86 ST162

The problem with hail damage is that when hail hits the car you get low spots as well as high spots, so even with "Dentless Repair" I believe its called, you can still slightly notice the hail damage.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ Only if you go to those goofs at the Dent clinic. It blows me away of how those fools are still in business. I used to take all our limos to those guys, and pay ridiculous sums of money for half ass repair jobs on the door dings and creases.

Instead call up Jason at the Dent wizard. He'll do amazing work for a really reasonable rate. He re-did my whole car for $150. And that included a handful of dings and dents all over all the body panels. The Dent clinic would have charged me over $1000 to do the same amount of work, and it would be half-ass at best.

call Jason at 888-6807 He's a great guy, The only person you need to know for small dents.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

i know a great secret to taking out hail dents takes like 30 seconds but if you screw up it makes it alot worse

My Ride
    300 Limited

Originally posted by civicrider
    i know a great secret to taking out hail dents takes like 30 seconds but if you screw up it makes it alot worse
    Great! Do share..
    It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Werd to avoiding the dent clinic...
    Autosignature

My Ride
    MB C63

Originally posted by civicrider

going to tell us...?

My Ride
    1991 HDJ81 Land Cruiser

I've done the Dry Ice method, with great results. Couple of things, first if there is a crease at the bottom of the dent, it won't remove that. Second the sooner it's done, the better. You need the pellet type of dry ice, some good gloves (better the insulation the better as that stuff is "COLD", it can freeze your fingers. Keep the dry ice in a cooler till needed. Wash the car to remove any dirt, sit it out in the sun to get the sheetmetal as hot as possible. Take one of the dry ice pellets, and using the end of the pellet, start at the outside of the dent and work towards the center in a circular motion (like a record player playing a record). If the metal is hot enough, it will actually squeel as you move the dry ice pellet around the dent in a circular motion. It cools the metal and shrinks it enough that most times the dent will work itself back out. I have had two cars hailed on and used this to remove the majority of the dents, could not remove all of the ones that actually had a crease at the bottom of the dent. On one, after about 10 years, you could see a little bullseye'ing around where a couple of the dents were, otherwise nothing identifiable.

I collected the insurance and fixed them myself those times.

It worked for me, obviously I've only done it twice, so try it if you like or let the body men have a go at it.

Good Luck.
    where will the road take me?
    Certified Vale PDR Technitian

My Ride
    1991 HDJ81 Land Cruiser

i just had jason @ dent wizard 888-6807 come to my work right now to pull out a dent. i had a dent right on my body line and was a real eye sore. pdr is the way to go. he has pulled out 2 dents for me.. one dent is an outie from inside the trunk and the other was a door ding.

highley recomended best price i found in town. great convient service.

tell him billy sent ya.
    where will the road take me?
    Certified Vale PDR Technitian

My Ride
    MB C63

^
    how big were the dents you removed with the dry ice?
    i have a few the size of a dollar and another the size of a tennis ball all on the door...think they will come off?

ohh and were can we get dry ice in calgary?

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Dry ice works, have done it several times on hail.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    MB C63

and once again where can we buy dry ice in calgary?

My Ride

i had my car hailed on once. the insurance guy counted over 200 dents and sent me to dent clinic, i chose the NW store.....total bill was paid by the insurance for $1400 but i didnt get charged a cent and all the dents are now out, from hail and dents that were from something else before the hail.

over all i was happy because they squeezed me in ASAP and got the job done within a day and gave me a free car wash cupon for big bucket car wash....only thing i noticed is that they might have taken my car out for a joy-ride because the gasoline level was niticibly below the level i left the car with and there were shoe prints on my lether seats....oh well im not the type of person to complain ofer small things and at least my car is dent-free and i didnt pay for it

My Ride

oh a bodyshop friend of mine mentioned to me that you can use the curling iron method? apperantly you put a rag over the dent and go over it with the iron...heard it works but never tryed it