Quantcast
Alright Im down to two TVs: which do you think I should get? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: .

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get the Sony Bravia - you get what you pay for, and Sonys are built to last, one of the best!

44 80.00%
  • Get the Westinghouse, 1080P, 2 more inches, $300 cheaper

10 18.18%
  • Toss up, they both look great.

1 1.82%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alright Im down to two TVs: which do you think I should get?

Default Alright Im down to two TVs: which do you think I should get?

Both LCD, doubling it up as my PC monitor and 360 (no tv at all).

40'' Sony Bravia S2010 - $2000 at Future shop right now. Really dig black. This tv is sexy!!!

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...gon=&langid=EN

42'' 1080P Westinghouse - $1700 at Best buy right now.
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...63&catid=24558

Now, Im sure all of you are thinking, how can I compare a Sony Bravia to a Washington house. Well, Ive heard great things about the W.H. (though im still bit skeptical on their longevity). Basically its $300 cheaper, 2 more inches (40 to 42), and 1080P. Though im not too fond on the cheap silver tone and after seeing the pic quality on the sony, I question whether or not I even need 1080P and the extra 2 inches. I know bigger is better, but this thing will be on my desk.

Surprisingly, I hooked up my laptop to this very same Sony LCD and it looked soooooooooooooooooooooo good, I was sold on it on the spot. If you saw how good the PC pic quality is on this Sony, wow...1080 what? It was by far the most crisp picture Ive ever seen in PC mode on a non 1080P tv at this size. I sat right up close to it, and it was so clean, wow..there is no doubt in my mind that I would be able to use this as a monitor. And call me wierd, but I actually prefer my text and icons and such to be larger than normal (I dont have the best eyes) so this helps as I dont have to squint into the screen.

But then I saw the sale on the W.H. this morning and now Im just trying to decide between the two now. Ive had some friends tell me this Sony model (even with the $200 off) is still overpriced.

I would go for the W.H. for value, but the big question with them is how reliable they are. The last thing I need is to have the thing break on me 3 months later and have to send the thing down to the USA to get serviced. Whereas Sony, well...the name speaks for itself. Ive owned 3 or 4 sony tvs in my life, and never had a single problem with any of them, all lasted me so many years. And even if there are problems, there is a service depot on Barlow tr. NE...which is close by.

I would like to decide fairly quickly here so whichever one I get, I can still take advantage of the sale price.
    Last edited by LaDeeDaDeeDa; 03-23-2007 at 03:03 PM.

My Ride
    09 wrx265

quote from an amazon review of the 32" West
    http://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-L.../dp/B0007XQ2LG
    f it breaks, you have two locations to send it to under warranty. Keep your box or UPS charges $50 to pack it and depending on your proximity to the west or east coast service centers...$128 bucks to ship. Obviously I am eating sour grapes over the loss of use of my set whilst it is up in New York getting its powersupply replaced.
    also should check this out
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...entry587736819

I've also bought a 32 Westinghouse 720p at BB last week and so far so good, like you I read so many good reviews about the TV/Monitor.
    No extended warranty though for me because I'm planning to buy a Toshiba/Samsung/Sony 42+ 2 years from now and 826$ wont be a big loss for me.

but for you, for such a big investment I would recommend going with the Sony simply because if anything happens you can get it serviced locally and durability of Sony tvs.

I know u already decided but how about a samsung 40inch $100 less than the bravia....plus u can get it in glossy black or white ...a lot of people dont know that the samsung is actually much better than the bravia except for xbr...plus if u go to Visions and talk to one of the sales associates...u can talk him down to $1700

heres the link
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by boxer23
    I know u already decided but how about a samsung 40inch $100 less than the bravia....plus u can get it in glossy black or white ...a lot of people dont know that the samsung is actually much better than the bravia except for xbr...plus if u go to Visions and talk to one of the sales associates...u can talk him down to $1700

heres the link
    I would easily get the Samsung, but I hooked up my laptop to it and the picture was soooo blurry and unreadable I immediately disconnected it. Also, it lacks 1:1 pixel mapping so I couldnt even get my desktop to fill the entire screen. . I was looking at the 4041D which is $1700 right now

The biggest reason why I want a Bravia over Samsung is because of the vastly superior PC pic quality, its not even close.
    Last edited by LaDeeDaDeeDa; 03-23-2007 at 05:21 PM.

kk fair enough....but u should seriously consider buying from soundsaround or visions cuz they will atleast give u a deal...although there are sometimes horror stories...I personally find Futureshops customer service to be very poor
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by boxer23
    kk fair enough....but u should seriously consider buying from soundsaround or visions cuz they will atleast give u a deal...although there are sometimes horror stories...I personally find Futureshops customer service to be very poor
    Soundsaround I wouldnt go near, they wont even exchange the product if you have problems in the 15 days. Visions im considering but they dont even sell this model Bravia - its a FS exclusive.

If I could live with silver, I could just get the S200A Bravia - its the same tv as this one but just silver. Brick has it for $1698 right now, well below cost at visions - they wont even match it haha.

And yes I agree Future crap is awful for service. Im trying NOT to give them my business.

this is the one i wanted but I cant even get it to display my desktop properly. I was so dissapointed. $1699 is a great price.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...gon=&langid=EN
    Last edited by LaDeeDaDeeDa; 03-23-2007 at 05:34 PM.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I just recently bought the Sony Bravia XBR 46"
    Last edited by dj_rice; 03-23-2007 at 05:59 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    1997 Eagle Talon TSI, 2001 Honda Civic Si-G

40'' or 46'' you mean ^^

Not sure if you're aware of this:
    http://www.futureshop.ca/marketing/friendsandfamily/

My Ride
    DC2-EM1-DC2R-UA7-AP1-FD5

I just recently got a JVC HD-ILA 56".

Originally posted by roopi
    Not sure if you're aware of this:
    http://www.futureshop.ca/marketing/friendsandfamily/
    I heard you need a special invite card or something If I can score an additional 10% off that sony, itll bring it down to $1800. thats more like it

Just noticed the 42'' Panasonic Vierra PX60 plasma is $1599 right now. Damn that is a hot price for top tier plasma.

Originally posted by LaDeeDaDeeDa
    I heard you need a special invite card or something If I can score an additional 10% off that sony, itll bring it down to $1800. thats more like it
    I don't think you do. These prices are available online and instore.

My Ride
    Ram SRT-10 QC

Yeah no card or invitation needed.

I would say that everyone should get the Futureshop newsletter emailed to you. They have some crazy web deals from time to time. I bought a Laser Color printer for $300 bucks off.

Originally posted by roopi

I don't think you do. These prices are available online and instore.
    FS said no invite needed for this one (but normally there is) and online wont have prices up till 10am tomrw, 10% is not for all tvs. But either way, Im still 2nd guessing this 2k Sony, everyone keeps telling me that its severely overpriced and that Samsungs beat it anyday of the week...which I kinda agree. Something keeps telling me to get a Samsung instead, but the lack of 1:1 really messes up the scaling and the VGA quality looks like absolute junk.
    Last edited by LaDeeDaDeeDa; 03-24-2007 at 04:22 PM.

My Ride
    Something

Get which one looks the best

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Do you have any 1080p input sources? And have you considered a projector instead of a TV?
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    99 Civic Si

for those samsungs you tried out, what type of input were you using? the pc/vga or hdmi?

b/c i've got the 2652D model and my pc input is great

Originally posted by Mar
    Do you have any 1080p input sources? And have you considered a projector instead of a TV?
    I have 360, which can be ran in 1080p. Projector, well I have definitely considered it but I dont like the idea of having to replace the the bulbs. They are like $400 a bulb lol.

Originally posted by hoamic11
    for those samsungs you tried out, what type of input were you using? the pc/vga or hdmi?

b/c i've got the 2652D model and my pc input is great
    VGA since my laptop doesnt have DVI. On the 4041D Sammy, i couldnt even get the desktop to fill the entire screen. Very dissapointing. And the quality was all blurry and not good at all.... Whereas on the sony, wow....the picture was amazing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast