LED Light bulbs? - Page 21 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast

Thread: LED Light bulbs?

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Originally posted by Cos
    Well this is interesting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...than-LEDs.html
    Read about that too...immediately thought of the technology used in HIR headlight bulbs.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

anybody know where the best place for LED vanity bulbs is? Found em at Canadian Tire but they were 45 watt replacements instead of 25. The room is already bright w/25s with 45s it'd be nuts. They were also $20/bulb which would be $300 total, seems crazy

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Wasn't there a person on this forum that could hook another person up with LED bulbs for low cost? Maybe I'm mixing forums up but I thought someone said that on here.

I just bought two LED bulbs from C Tire. They are the 60w replacements and they use 9 watts. Warm white, 3000k. Same look as the normal incandescent bulbs. They are awesome!

Am I stuck buying these at a high price though?
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

For those that care, 60W equivalents (8.5W LED A19's) at Superstore - 6 in a box for $23.98. Have some in our home and the light they produce is indistinguishable from incandescents. Noticed this weekend that Superstore has all of a sudden greatly increased their LED lamp offerings but I still think Home Depot has them beat on overall pricing and variety.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by eblend
    If anyone is looking for some GU10 light bulbs for pot lights, I picked up 14 bulbs from Dollarama completely by accident just last week. Installed them and they look great. Went from using 600W in my basement, to 72!

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    RFD effect is stronk. Could not find at Creekside, Beddington, nor Deerfoot.

There's some Phillips Chandelier ones at Creekside. IIRC there were these ones for $3

click for larger version

My Ride

I was trying to find the chandelier ones yesterday!! I need 6 and only found 2 at the 32nd NE location. However, I saw quite a few of the GU10 bulbs there. How many chandelier ones did you see?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I went from not changing a lightbulb in 4 years to replacing 2 in the basement a couple weeks ago. When I had the basement done 18 months ago, I had the lighting guy put in pot lights throughout the build. The guy was super technical (aka anal) and I asked him to put in LEDs but he refused, as the light pattern doesn't look great for the layout. He also claims that low voltage bulbs will last as long as LEDs. Well, it doesn't. $600 later, replaced the entire basement with MR16 Philips Bright Whites. Cleared out all of the North end Home Depots.

The lighting pattern is definitely different, the shadows are harsher, but hey, I don't have to change bulbs again!

Glad I decided on dimmables through the house when I first started the conversion. Starting to install dimmers + lighting automation through the house now and they all work really well.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Projek01
    I was trying to find the chandelier ones yesterday!! I need 6 and only found 2 at the 32nd NE location. However, I saw quite a few of the GU11 bulbs there. How many chandelier ones did you see?
    Would guess there were around 10 but my memory is pretty fuzzy having been to 4 dollarama's in 24 hours.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Originally posted by rage2
    I went from not changing a lightbulb in 4 years to replacing 2 in the basement a couple weeks ago. When I had the basement done 18 months ago, I had the lighting guy put in pot lights throughout the build. The guy was super technical (aka anal) and I asked him to put in LEDs but he refused, as the light pattern doesn't look great for the layout. He also claims that low voltage bulbs will last as long as LEDs. Well, it doesn't. $600 later, replaced the entire basement with MR16 Philips Bright Whites. Cleared out all of the North end Home Depots.

The lighting pattern is definitely different, the shadows are harsher, but hey, I don't have to change bulbs again!

Glad I decided on dimmables through the house when I first started the conversion. Starting to install dimmers + lighting automation through the house now and they all work really well.
    How are the Philips MR16? I just grabbed some Par20s and found the Feit bulbs had a much more uniform beam compared to the Phillips. The "warm white" is still much cooler than incandescent, especially when dimmed as the color temp stays the same. Shadows are crazy, I figure I'll get used to it though, as it's not worse, just different.

I got some Feit LED edisons too. The good part, they are way, way brighter, so usable for work surfaces, but you need a dimmer to calm them down otherwise. Light is a bit more orange than brown, but again, I'll see if I get used to it. Aesthetically they look really good.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Love the Philips in Bright white. The MR16's look good, beam pattern isn't a huge issue as my pot lights are all pretty close to one another, but yea, it's amazing how much more shadows are cast using these lights. I went with the 50W equivalent, and the basement is way brighter than before now.

Not a huge deal, I find not having the proper color temps more annoying than shadows, and Philips bright whites seems to be as close to perfect as I can find for the color temp I'm after in various bulb formats and it's consistent across the board. Also weird that all their normal bulbs are soft white (2700k) only, no bright white versions.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

How many lumens are the bright white? Are you doing room coordinating with the soft white for sleepy rooms?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by schocker
    How many lumens are the bright white? Are you doing room coordinating with the soft white for sleepy rooms?
    Lumens are dependent on wattage, not color temperature.

Bedroom lights are all sub 3000 here.

Lumens are not solely based upon wattage nor are they solely based upon colour temperature, the type of LED's used probably has more to do with lumens and colour temperature than anything else.

Below are two pictures I took of 60W equivalents we have in our home, the GE LED Bright Stik on the left in both pictures is 10W, 760 lumens, 150 mA, 2850K temperature while the Superstore LED No Name on the right is 8.5W, 800 lumens, 120 mA, 2700K temperature. The second picture shows both lamps in the same setting and in the same position, left and right and it is quite obvious even on my potato pic that the GE one is a whiter light which is based upon colour temperature, what is disproved here is that lumens are tied to wattage as per what is actually stamped on the base of these two lamps - lumens is brightness, not colour, and wattage is strictly power consumption. A 60W equivalent LED bulb can certainly have higher power consumption while providing less lumens - different components will see to that and not necessarily poor design.

Note that I do like both of these bulbs in the right places, in our home the Superstore No Name ones are bring placed in most bedroom and living room fixtures while the GE Bright Stik is being placed in the garage, furnace/laundry room and other places that a whiter light is appreciated. What is nice is where we used to have 100W incandescents, were now getting away with 60W LED equivalents because colour temperature is something we can select - a 100W incandescent is generally around 2870K or so. The 100W incandescent puts out a lot more lumens but I think to most, the colour temperature is probably more of a factor in a residential setting as opposed to brightness (lumens).

click for larger version

click for larger version

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by jwslam

Lumens are dependent on wattage, not color temperature.

Bedroom lights are all sub 3000 here.
    I meant color, I wasn't all there

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Ahh. My guess on the Philips Bright whites is around 3000K. I mentioned earlier that color temp isn't the same for different brands of 3000K bulbs, here's a list that I've tried from warmest to coolest, and what I estimate the color temp to be irrespective of what's advertised. Philips Bright White, across different bulb types, are very consistent, so I'll use that as the 3000K baseline.

Cree Soft White - 2600K
    Philips Soft White - 2700K
    Philips Bright White - 3000K
    Feit - 3200K
    Cree Daylight - 5000K

Are there any cheap color meters that can measure color temp easily?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by rage2
    Are there any cheap color meters that can measure color temp easily?
    https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/ligh...468368751?mt=8

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yea, it doesn't work. Already tried that last year because of this thread haha.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Anyone find good optoins for a warmish Par20 (warmer than the Feit 3000k) and a very warm A19 with low light output (for living room lamp accent lighting)?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by bspot
    Anyone find good optoins for a warmish Par20 (warmer than the Feit 3000k) and a very warm A19 with low light output (for living room lamp accent lighting)?
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.l...000657670.html

Try it, don't like it, return it. I've used this extensively throughout the house to the point where I've replaced fixtures to use PAR20 bulbs so I can use this.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

I am sad that they got rid of the bright white in other bulb types, it is my favorite color.

Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast