Quantcast
staff layoffs - end of the drilling boom for conventional oil and gas - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: staff layoffs - end of the drilling boom for conventional oil and gas

My Ride
    your mom

Default staff layoffs - end of the drilling boom for conventional oil and gas

October 26, 2007 News Synopsis
    Industry Very Disappointed With New Royalty Regime
    By Lynda Harrison
    In addition to its severe cash flow impact and dampening effect on future investments, the new Alberta royalty regime announced Thursday has introduced a level of distrust between industry and government, will likely bring staff layoffs and marks the end of the drilling boom for conventional oil and gas, say two key industry associations.

Asked to comment on yesterday's announcement regarding the Alberta government's changes to its royalty regime Pierre Alvarez, Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP) president said it's bad news for all concerned.

"I don't think there's anybody in this business who isn't going to be touched by this decision, whether it's a small E&P company, a large oilsands producer or an international investor," said Alvarez. "Everybody is going to be affected. I don't think there's anybody in the industry who's happy today... there's nobody in this town who's a winner."

Producers are disappointed that despite overwhelming evidence the government simply has not grasped the implications of the industry cost pressures, the effect of the rising value of the Canadian dollar and the increasingly difficulty geology in the province, said Alvarez.

The government has brought in tremendously onerous changes on the oilsands side despite the fact the national oilsands task force is only 10 years old, he said.

CAPP members are concerned that important details have not been released on the deep and horizontal drilling program and about "what the government has up its sleeve" for the future if talks between (it and) Syncrude Canada Ltd. and Suncor Energy Inc. don't proceed to conclusion and, ultimately, the long-term relationship between the province and the industry. There will be no grandfathering of existing oilsands plants and the provincial government wants Syncrude and Suncor to accept the new royalty regime although their current agreements don't expire until 2016.

"We've had a working relationship that has been founded on mutual respect and mutual understanding and I think a lot of people around town feel that the government has walked away from that," said Alvarez.

An element of uncertainty about doing business in Alberta has now been introduced into the equation not just in Calgary but around the world and that's something that endures well beyond an election and has ramifications that stretch over many years, he said.

Alvarez called the government's one to nine per cent royalty pre-payout on oilsands and 40% post-payout payment -- on huge projects that take years to build and require billions of dollars to develop -- with only 14 months' notice, "a very, very dramatic and negative step."

The government has completely lost sight of the fact these are the most difficult to develop and expensive oil reserves in the world, he said. "They've assumed that because we've seen significant production growth over the last number of years that oilsands production has become easy and I think if you talk to anybody in that business they would tell you that this is a tough, tough business," he said.

Nor has the province considered the costs involved to produce conventional oil, he added.

According to Alvarez, the only positive is that companies have a year to prepare before the changes kick in.

The government has thrown out its changes to the royalty system with so few details that companies' business and budget-making decisions are going to be very, very difficult, he said.

There are going to be a lot of pink slips handed out today and next week, predicted Roger Soucy, president of the Petroleum Services Alliance of Canada (PSAC) which represents service and supply companies.

Soucy had been preparing an already dire outlook for next year that's now going to be even grimmer. He estimated service companies have laid off 15% of their workforce in the first six months of 2007 and that trend has continued into the second half.

The changes Premier Ed Stelmach's Progressive Conservative government will make to the royalty system are going to exacerbate an already bad situation for the conventional industry, particularly on the natural gas side, said Soucy.

He worries about the government's philosophy. It's going to drive away entrepreneurs and leave people who have mortgaged their homes to invest in small industry-related businesses high and dry, he said.

The one-year phase-in actually works against much of the conventional industry decline in the coming year, said Soucy. Because royalties will be reduced on lower-end producing wells starting in 2009, unless producers are desperate for cash flow, wells that were marginal anyway now won't get drilled until then, when royalties will be lower.

With the royalty changes, government will take an additional estimated $1.4 billion per year of cash flow from producers - and 85% of that will no longer be re-invested, he said.

Soucy said effects of yesterday's announcement will be seen immediately in small-town hotels and restaurants and eventually work their way to Alberta's cities.

"The bloom is gone from the industry, certainly on the conventional side," said Soucy. "I would suspect that the days of 25,000 wells in Western Canada are done, that we're going to go into a slow decline and even with the reversal of gas prices that would never, ever bring us back to where we were in 2005."

My Ride
    a tank

now let see what kind of effect this will have in coming months. How long do you think until we see a big switch in alberta's economy?
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

The oil companies probably secretly love this.

They can blame mass layoffs on the government. Then in 2-3 years, start production slowly back up, and hire the same people for the same jobs for 2/3 the pay, seeing as how the economy will no longer be "hot"
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

The spin doctors at work.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

Service companies have been hurting since last year. Now they have an excuse to lay people off.

My Ride
    your mom

what do you expect when you elect a PIG FARMER to decide the fate of Alberta?
    Last edited by 8Ball; 10-26-2007 at 03:01 PM.

My Ride
    cars

NO where does it mention the fact that oil itself will be well over 110.00/bbl.. and that's just in the near future.. Oil will continue to rise and yes the "BOOM" may well be over when it comes to massive increases in housing costs & immigration to Alberta.. but that in no way means that we're on the downturn as a economy..

There has to be a correction of some sort.. And this is what is happening right now.. leveling off was inevitable.. If people thought it was going to continue to sky rocket forever are very much in the dark about how economics works.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-30-2020 at 03:26 AM.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    The oil companies probably secretly love this.

They can blame mass layoffs on the government. Then in 2-3 years, start production slowly back up, and hire the same people for the same jobs for 2/3 the pay, seeing as how the economy will no longer be "hot"
    hahaha...no kidding. Another nice thing they do is lay people off...show their shareholders what fincial responsible people they are and then collect a big fat bonus.

I hope this will correct the wage expectations for some of the new grads coming out. I've been getting pissed off at when I interview achitectural techs at how much money they think they "deserve" after just graduating with no experience and average marks.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    Highlander

This is probably the worst fear-mongering of all the articles I've read in the last few weeks, and I've read a lot of them!

Yes, there will probably be lay offs, and yes, our economy will slow a bit, I'm sure of it, but my god, what an incredible way to devistate an entire province with one fowl swoop. Most of that article is opinion, but the way the sentences are phrased makes it sound like fact. Haha the journalist has mad skills, I'll give her that.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by richardchan2002
    Service companies have been hurting since last year. Now they have an excuse to lay people off.
    People in parts of southern Alberta, primarily medicine hat etc have already been out of work for a year....

scapegoat!

LOL... ah well.... its done, and we're still alive. Imagine that.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-02-2020 at 10:49 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    Bicycle

The good thing is that there will be more competent people working Tim Hortons now.

My Ride

Originally posted by Xtrema
    The good thing is that there will be more competent people working Tim Hortons now.
    No there won't -- or at least not until everyone's pogue runs out.

My Ride
    cars

Did I miss something or have people forgot about oil sands?? Conventional oil isn't the future for Alberta.. Oil Sands are.. Everyone knows that conventional oil is running out..

Also, don't you think it's very convenient that all of a sudden the CAPP is now bitching about the tax.. When a couple years ago it was KOYTO.. that was supposed to be the end of the world for Alberta too.. whatever happened to that??

Personally i would look at how much money the CAPP has to lose in this more so than the companies.. The world will always need oil or at least for the next 20 years.. And the price of oil will continue to rise as the supplies run out.. You gotta look at the big picture here and not the next couple months alone.

Negative news sells.. The same way here as in the US or anywhere else in the world.. The US housing economy is a perfect example.. Housing market is dead, end of the world!! But yet CountryWide just turned a 630 Million dollar profit.?? Well that's odd..
    Last edited by modded46; 10-26-2007 at 06:19 PM.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

It's so funny for them to preach "distrust" and all that other nonsense when their first recourse is to threaten to pull billions from the province.

If that's "respect" on part of big oil, I don't want to see what they're going to do when they're really mad.

Going to be an interesting few years, that is for sure.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    your mom

Originally posted by adamc
    It's so funny for them to preach "distrust" and all that other nonsense when their first recourse is to threaten to pull billions from the province.

If that's "respect" on part of big oil, I don't want to see what they're going to do when they're really mad.

Going to be an interesting few years, that is for sure.
    your missing the much bigger picture;

Those outside Alberta - from oil companies to pension funds - that were invited not long ago by the previous government of Ralph Klein to partake in the development of its energy riches, will take note that this is government that can't be trusted.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/s...c-dc152d884f51

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1193..._us_whats_news

Oil Companies:
    Government and most people:

But seriously, if you look at Calgary and other areas in Alberta active in Oil and Gas in the past year or two and don't think that it's unsustainable to be paying trades people like $90/hr... you're a bit crazy I think. In a real job market if someone can do your job better than you, you would risk losing your job regardless. I think people really should be thankful for all the wonderful employment while it lasted but need to be brought to reality that if we run through all of our reserves it's going to hit MUCH harder than if we simply take a bit more from the oil companies. Most of this thought is based on the assumption there in fact will be noticeable job loss resulting from this, something which you can't prove simply on PR alone. I'll believe it when I see the effects in the job, housing, and consumer markets themself.

Now I'm not here to say that everyone getting like $90/hr to do welding or etc... is incompetent and should be replaced, I'm just saying the UNSKILLED ones who simply have work because they're there should be readjusted to sectors that have shortages currently.

I came from a rather small hick town before moving to calgary and MANY of the people I grew up with, when we discuss education, were oblivious to the fact that oil doesn't last forever. Everyone would talk about just going to the oil patch and making huge cash with no education or skills learnt at trade schools. It's simply ignorance when those people expect something like that to last forever. Many of those people who now are making decent cash in the oil sector ARE incompetent, sometimes when I go back they joke about how they do pot while working in the field and shit, and most of them have had no formal trades education or any apprenticeship work prior to getting into the field.

I do agree that it will be sad, those people who blew through all their money on new work trucks every year, big TVs, etc.. they're going to find themselves downsizing to more modest equipment or out of a job altogether. But the fact of the matter is, you can't expect something that good to last forever.

We'll have to see what happens when and if companies do in fact do something noticeable in the future regarding this...

My Ride
    You Crazy

FOX NEWS NETWORK. Ann Coulter says.

"Canada better not mess with the current agreement they have with the U.S. oil industry. We, the USA, could crush them. Canada is full of a bunch of weak kneed sissys who we saved in world war two. I don't know why Alberta thinks that it can control its resources, we killed Sadam for his oil, and we will certainly kick Alberta's ass if they step out of line. We have invested million in making those stooges believe that they are getting a good deal for their resources, and they better just keep on believing it. No one invested in Canada thinking that Canadians have any balls, they shouldn't grow then now."
    Last edited by Toma; 10-26-2007 at 09:54 PM.

Coulter is an idiot. Nothing that comes out of her mouth can be taken seriously.

Next

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast