Quantcast
The purpose of two subwoofers. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The purpose of two subwoofers.

Default The purpose of two subwoofers.

I don't understand car audio, so I'd like to ask pros about why people chose to get two subwoofers instead of one. I have one '12 and it provides more than enough bass. If I had two, wouldn't I have more bass than I could use without drowning out the rest of the music? I know this is a common thing to have, but I can't understand why people don't buy one high end sub instead of having two cheaper subs.

My Ride
    MY97 WRX

Its all in the ear of the listener. A lot of people love tons of bass to go with their rap/r&b music, while others only want a little bit of punch with their rock/metal/country music, or whatever it may be.

A lot of people blow outrageous amounts of money on sound systems because it gives them the "bling" factor. But truthfully, I think there is money better well spent in other factors of the vehicle, or in another hobby all in itself.

I listen to metal music, I have a stock sound system. It does the job with my two 8" midwoofers, and gives me all the bass I would ever desire.

Why dump $3000 in a stereo system when you can put $3000 into your engine...or better yet, your house?

I never understood large sound systems either, but its just a passion for some people as "going fast" is for others.

My Ride
    2006 Chev Duramax

Originally posted by TE4MFaint
    Its all in the ear of the listener. A lot of people love tons of bass to go with their rap/r&b music, while others only want a little bit of punch with their rock/metal/country music, or whatever it may be.

A lot of people blow outrageous amounts of money on sound systems because it gives them the "bling" factor. But truthfully, I think there is money better well spent in other factors of the vehicle, or in another hobby all in itself.

I listen to metal music, I have a stock sound system. It does the job with my two 8" midwoofers, and gives me all the bass I would ever desire.

Why dump $3000 in a stereo system when you can put $3000 into your engine...or better yet, your house?

I never understood large sound systems either, but its just a passion for some people as "going fast" is for others.
    There is more to having bass than just listening to rap. I listen to alternative/pregressive rock/rap/country/metal/classical/etc and they all sound excellent with bass...it adds a whole new dimension to the music. I just sold off my stereo(well the sub stage) which consisted of 1 18" sub and a 1200 watt amp. i did so because it is impractical and i knew before i bought it that it was. I didnt do it for the "bling factor". You couldnt even see the sub, just some wood. The sound quality was not amazing, but it was stupid loud, which was exactly what i wanted. You would call it retarted, but i thats like me saying dumping 3k into an old civic is stupid. I have friends who have put thousands of dollars and hundreds on man hours into their system, me included. And i have friends who have dumped around 100 000 and thousands of man hours into their vehicle for stictly audio competition. Try and tell them what they are doing is stupid....im not trying to say that you are calling it stupid...but im just saying there are mannny people out there like this

i now own a performance vehicle and i understand that there is a want to go fast/handle well/ and look good. But i would love to have a very loud not amazing looking/ sub par performing vehcile one day again. i guess i should add my next sub stage will consist of 1 or two 8's. mostly to keep weight down

my 2 cents...

as for the origional question...if you are going for sq, get 1 very nice sub. if you want it to be loud an still sound alright, get two decent subs. in a nutshell...more cone area=more air moving=louder. to an extent atleast...
    Last edited by f150mikey060; 10-30-2007 at 08:45 PM.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-30-2020 at 03:19 AM.

My Ride
    2006 Chev Duramax

for the average listener yea, but its not uncommon for people to run more than that for daily listening.

My Ride
    98 Integra GSR

running 2 subs can let you get a different sound as well as more volume without maxing the speaker leaving the sound crisp, I run 2 10", 1 wouldnt be enough for me on most occasions,

it is also easier to get more clean bass from 2 subs for cheap, to get the same bass from 1 you usually want a more expensive sub which needs more power etc...

My Ride
    Model S

slink95 is back...

My Ride
    POS

It's all for looks. I would bet nobody would be able to tell if you were running only 1 sub cause our brains automatically think of it as a pair of speakers cause that's how they are usually sold. But for show, 2 looks better then 1 IMO.

I saw a youtube video in which two mondeos crashed. One was loaded up and hence lower, and it got overridden and consequently much more damaged.

My system is hard to complain about. I feel though that it doesn't sound like a good home system would because it's in an enclosed space. I spent almost 2k for 2 5.25 inch component dragsters and 2 5x7 rears. I bought a '12 concept 250 watt woofer with a 275 watt amp.

The only thing that doesn't make me happy about all of this is, that if I spent even more money my equipment could sound better, with a booster and a discrete amplifier for the speakers. What's your opinion on that? Would I get more from my gear?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by kerry190e
    I saw a youtube video in which two mondeos crashed. One was loaded up and hence lower, and it got overridden and consequently much more damaged.

My system is hard to complain about. I feel though that it doesn't sound like a good home system would because it's in an enclosed space. I spent almost 2k for 2 5.25 inch component dragsters and 2 5x7 rears. I bought a '12 concept 250 watt woofer with a 275 watt amp.

The only thing that doesn't make me happy about all of this is, that if I spent even more money my equipment could sound better, with a booster and a discrete amplifier for the speakers. What's your opinion on that? Would I get more from my gear?
    Sure you would, but why would you do it? Can you really HEAR a difference?

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Having more subs can suit different cars with different boxes, plus move more air. And it's not just about big sound, it's also about clarity, staging, and definition.

For example, when I DJ, I use two 18" subs each in a ported bandpass box running 1500W per driver. It gives me greater air movement, better definition and better tuning than just one.

That, and they can make a girl's clothes fly off
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by googe
    slink95 is back...
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh damn you're good at spotting him.

My Ride
    2006 Chev Duramax

Originally posted by kerry190e

sounds like you got ripped off...

My Ride
    Eclipse Spyder

Originally posted by f150mikey060

agreed

My Ride
    99 Civic Si

Originally posted by f150mikey060

+2 on that one.

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

2 subs also can do a world of change when it comes to clarity, two speakers hitting the same quieter tone will make things seem a lot more clean than one sub...atleast thats what i noticed when i moved from 1 12" to 2 10".

I have 2 10"s in my car, and IMO sounds much better than the average single 12" setup.

Again, it also really depends on the kind of music you like, and what it demands of the speakers. Louder is definitely not always better, a clean, crisp sounding 10" will sound better than a blaring 12" in many situations. With two 10" you can recover some of the lost volume and retain the nice sound.

Not all 10"s sound nice, and not all 12"s are blaring, just generalizing here...

My Ride
    04 Rsx-s,07 Frontier, 11 ss/rs

Car audio is not exactly the same, but the point of having more than one source of energy is dynamics and control.
    I can hear the difference between 3 8" subs and a single 12" with the same volume.
    It's all in how much you care about the quality of the sound.
    |Smaller cones will always sound better as they don't blur the leading edge of a percussion sound.
    Most don't care...

My Ride
    06 S2000

WTT: Single 12" in box for 2x10" in box.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    RX300

I don't the difference either but i'm running 2 10" Phoenix Golds and it sounds pretty good

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast