Quantcast
Cadillac CTS vs. BMW 535xi - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac CTS vs. BMW 535xi

Default Cadillac CTS vs. BMW 535xi

this is a good read, it looks like General Motors finally has their heads out of their asses and is making something worth looking at.

its also surprisingly unbiased which helps a lot.

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyl...ge_top+stories

My Ride
    Bicycle

??

CTS = 3
    STS = 5
    DTS = 7

Why are they comparing different model level and say CTS wins because it's cheaper?

did you even read it?

he explains that in like the first paragraph.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

CTS is a 5 series competitor.

The new CTS-V is aimed directly at the M5.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Destinova403
    did you even read it?

he explains that in like the first paragraph.
    Yeah. I guess.

But it's almost like saying a Hyundai is better than a Honda. In the end, it's what the tiny difference is worth to individuals.

My Ride
    I like. :)

^ For those intangibles and tiny differences, the difference you'll be paying is about $15,155.00 more for the BMW.

As you can see, for the dough you really can't vote against the Cadillac. The BMW is an excellent driver's car, but is it worth that much more?

By the way, fuel economy is nearly dead even for these two vehicles, with the BMW at 17 mpg city/25 mpg highway and the Caddy at 17/26. Bonus: The CTS drinks blue-collar regular while the BMW wants blue-blood premium.
    Good article. Quite the eye-opener --- so much so that I think I'll give the CTS a test drive. It's good to know I have more options out there for my money. I used to think Cadillacs meant bad mileage, gaudy interior, and floaty handling buuuut it looks like that's all changed... this isn't the Cadillac I used to know

This is cool, personally I love the angular lines and the new front end on the CTS is killer and the rear is clean. A white CTS was stopped at a red light, facing me across an intersection and I thought "W in TF is that sexy beast?" Good looking car for sure, now with much improved game.

My Ride
    03' SVT Cobra 10th ann vert

HAHA this really shut up beyonders. this is the only post that compared a GM product VS a German product and only lasted 6 posts.

hahaha whats wrong beyonders cant find something wrong about the CTS???

My Ride
    Bicycle

Because this thread doesn't involve a Honda.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Because this thread doesn't involve a Honda.

Originally posted by treg50
    Good article. Quite the eye-opener --- so much so that I think I'll give the CTS a test drive. It's good to know I have more options out there for my money. I used to think Cadillacs meant bad mileage, gaudy interior, and floaty handling buuuut it looks like that's all changed... this isn't the Cadillac I used to know
    ONE article and you've completely flipped?

My Ride

Read the original article and you might get it: the car is worth looking at.

I say I'm willing to consider a much improved vehicle which sounds like it's smashing old brand stereotypes annnnnd that means I've "completely flipped"? Oooookay...

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

I think there are lots of American cars that are worth a close look compared to thier Japanese/German competition.

You can often get 95% of the car for 80% of the price and to many people that is more than enough to put them in the car. Especially now that the reliability gap is becoming smaller all the time. And I wouldn't blame most people if that is what they are looking for.

Same reason lots of people like lots of Japanese cars over German cars. Good bang for the buck. You sometimes pay a lot for that last 5%.

But as always there will be lots of people that are more than happy to pay for that last 5% in order to have the best car in the class.

That said I haven't driven the new CTS yet, but from what I have seen so far I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of one if that is what they wanted. It seems like a really solid offering by GM.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Lots of cool american cars out there, the fit and finish still just isnt up to par with their competitors.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

^ for the most part yes, but there are starting to be some exceptions and also some where the difference is pretty negligible.

Originally posted by treg50
    Read the original article and you might get it:
    Oh, I did.

I say I'm willing to consider a much improved vehicle which sounds like it's smashing old brand stereotypes annnnnd that means I've "completely flipped" Oooookay...
    No, the language you used in your previous post suggested you're totally convinced based on reading that one article.

Why don't you at least wait for some consensus in the automotive press, or until you've driven the car for yourself in the context of directly comparing it with its competitors, before you decide that "that's all changed".

Yep, sure sounds like it has based on that one journalist's opinion. Hmmm...

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

I'd get a CTS based on styling alone. Same with Cadillac's two door, the XLR... I'd take it over a Corvette because it is one of the most fantastic looking vehicles I have ever seen.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by b_t
    I'd get a CTS based on styling alone. Same with Cadillac's two door, the XLR... I'd take it over a Corvette because it is one of the most fantastic looking vehicles I have ever seen.
    100% agree. The CTS is a fantastic looking car, as is the XLR. Something about the XLR screams hardcore sex appeal.

I test drove a CTS this morning for shits and giggles and was quite impressed. It felt solid, well put together, and the engine has enough grunt to keep me happy. The best part is that you don't see the CTS everywhere, and it's styling does have impact.

I'd get one for sure if I was in the market for this kind of vehicle.

My Ride

Originally posted by Inzane

Oh, I did.
    Really? Well from the "language you used" it didn't seem like you did, because you still sound completely ignorant of what the author said.
    Originally posted by Inzane
    No, the language you used in your previous post suggested you're totally convinced based on reading that one article.

Why don't you at least wait for some consensus in the automotive press, or until you've driven the car for yourself in the context of directly comparing it with its competitors, before you decide that "that's all changed".

Yep, sure sounds like it has based on that one journalist's opinion. Hmmm...
    LOL that journalist actually had a very unbiased opinion.

But as we can tell, you think that the very idea of a North American car actually providing some competition to the imports is a preposterous idea and a person is 'flipped' for thinking so. That's a pretty severe bias you got there.

Also, I'm totally convinced about what? My "language" that I used was "Good article. Quite the eye-opener --- so much so that I think I'll give the CTS a test drive. It's good to know I have more options out there for my money. Yup, I'm 'totally convinced' that I would consider the CTS as an option for me in this class.

As far as consensus goes, if you like to follow what everyone says, I don't. Consensus is nice, but I don't like to wait for everyone to catch on to something that's actually good before I look into it myself.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Lots of cool american cars out there, the fit and finish still just isnt up to par with their competitors.
    Have you been in a new CTS?

I've driven the last generation several times, and had the new version in my possession for a couple days. The fit and finish of this newest generation blows away anything else I've ever seen by GM. I was shocked at how big of a leap they made. It's not just better than the old ones, it's actually very very good.

Check one out, you might be surprised

My Ride
    SlowBalt

Originally posted by bspot

Have you been in a new CTS?

I've driven the last generation several times, and had the new version in my possession for a couple days. The fit and finish of this newest generation blows away anything else I've ever seen by GM. I was shocked at how big of a leap they made. It's not just better than the old ones, it's actually very very good.

Check one out, you might be surprised

Plus cts-v

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast