http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/citybea...122811_26149_0

This morning at approximately 8:20 am, The City of Calgary
    Emergency Medical Services responded to a 911 call in the
    community of Terradale. On scene, paramedics provided
    advanced life support treatment to a 2 year old female. The
    child was in cardiac arrest as a result of an accidental
    strangulation from a set of window blinds. EMS transported
    the young girl, but despite the best efforts of paramedics,
    the child was pronounced deceased at the hospital.

In this difficult time, EMS would like to pass on window
    safety messages to Calgarians to help prevent similar future
    tragedies.

Every year, paramedics attend incidents where children are
    injured, sometimes critically from activity around windows.
    When children stand next to windows, they can easily lose
    their balance and it takes very little force to push out a
    screen, allowing the child to fall. In addition, blinds or
    drapes may have cords that could cause strangulation should a
    child become entangled in the cords. If you must place your
    child near a window, tie or wrap the cord up and out of reach
    and move any furniture that may be nearby. There are clamping
    devices commercially available that are designed to hold
    window cords out of harms way. The following safety tips
    should be kept in mind:

• When a window is closed make sure it is locked.
    • Never push or lean on a window screen.
    • Move furniture such as cribs, beds, stools and
    change tables away from windows.
    • Never play with the cords that hang from shades or
    blinds.
    • Keep cords out of the reach of children.
    • Teach children not to lean on or play near windows.

• Screens are intended to keep bugs out, NOT to keep
    children in

These incidents are preventable by ensuring windows are
    secure, screens are securely fitted in the window and items
    such as beds, tables or chairs are not placed under the
    window.

Default Re: Child Deceased Calgary re: window blinds

Originally posted by Kritafo
    http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/citybea...122811_26149_0

The following safety tips
    should be kept in mind:

• When a window is closed make sure it is locked.
    • Never push or lean on a window screen.
    • Move furniture such as cribs, beds, stools and
    change tables away from windows.
    • Never play with the cords that hang from shades or
    blinds.
    • Keep cords out of the reach of children.
    • Teach children not to lean on or play near windows.

• Screens are intended to keep bugs out, NOT to keep
    children in

These incidents are preventable by ensuring windows are
    secure, screens are securely fitted in the window and items
    such as beds, tables or chairs are not placed under the
    window.
    let me add one to the list

- WATCH YOUR FUCKING 2 YEAR OLD YOU NEGLECTFUL IDIOT!

My Ride
    '10 Civic

so many sad stories like i rem one kid got his swim trunks draw string caught in the wave maker of a leisure center and drowned.

same thing happened with a kid going down a slide and his hood string got caught...

My Ride
    a tank

wasnt there something similar but in the car instead?

and it was also a 2 year old female. Geez I guess the scariest time is to watch them around that age
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

Default Re: Re: Child Deceased Calgary re: window blinds

Originally posted by analbumcover

While I share your anger at this senseless death. I have to ask you, anal...or is it album (god that nick cracks me up) do you have kids? It would only take about 120 seconds for a child to strangle themselves. And 2 year olds, inside their own home, can easily go out of site for that long. It's so easy for someone that doesn't have kids to say "easy, just watch your kids.." But every single parent will at one time or another be out of site from their kid for a couple of minutes. It's impossible to keep an eye on your kid every single second of every single day...

nevertheless...a very sad tragic situation....my heart goes out to the family.
    Last edited by Maddog55; 04-11-2008 at 03:15 PM.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

"if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    0 - 60 In 10 minutes.

Default Re: Re: Re: Child Deceased Calgary re: window blinds

Originally posted by Maddog55

While I share your anger at this senseless death. I have to ask you, anal...or is it album (god that nick cracks me up) do you have kids? It would only take about 120 seconds for a child to strangle themselves. And 2 year olds, inside their own home, can easily go out of site for that long. It's so easy for someone that doesn't have kids to say "easy, just watch your kids.." But every single parent will at one time or another be out of site from their kid for a couple of minutes. It's impossible to keep an eye on your kid every single second of every single day...

nevertheless...a very sad tragic situation....my heart goes out to the family.

No. When you have a kid that young wandering around your house and you have to take your eye off of them for a minute or two you make damn sure it is safe. And yes I have a kid.

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

Wow, that's a pretty harsh statement.
    Highly unlikely the child was neglectfully unsupervised when that happened. Chances are the caregiver thought that the child was safe when they looked away. The outcome was probably the last thing they'd ever dreamed of happening.

R.I.P. and condolences to the family.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

Well, I have a two year old and I can tell you they can get in a load of trouble in a helluva hurry! Supervised or not.

Hell, I've been within arms reach of my boy when he decides to do something stupid and even though I realize what is going on, there is no time to react.

Bottom line is that no matter how protective and careful you are with your child, eventually he's going to hurt himself. You can't protect your child from everything - and hell, you shouldn't try. You do what you need to do to keep them safe. Protection from everything would be a rather uneventful life.

Things happen very quickly. Now it's certainly no defense for the parent if they were running to the store to buy smokes leaving their kid in the house alone. You know what I mean. But shit definitely can and does happen. You just have to pray that this stuff doesn't happen to you.

I'd be destroyed.

Imagine your phone rings, but it is at the other end of the house. You get up, walk to the end of the house leaving your child playing on the livingroom floor playing 10 feet from the nearest window. You get the phone, say hello and find out what the call is about. You turn around, walk back to the other end of the house and in this 30 seconds your child has managed to get the cords to the blinds wrapped around his neck and is panicked. You untangle him, warn him sternly about this danger and wonder what might have happened if you talked on the phone at the other end of the house for just 30 seconds more. It can be that simple.

Shit does happen, and I sure hope this isn't a case of neglect where the child was left unattended for an extended period of time.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Sorry analbum but I gotta go with the majority here.

It's pretty much impossible to keep a 2 year old in your sights non-stop and sometimes tragic shit goes down. If you think about it, that could happen in the amount of time it took the caregiver to go to the washroom. Poor deal, but accidents happen.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

Yep.
    Example: in the time it took me to pour myself another cup of coffee this morning, my 8 month old scooted across the floor, pulled herself up on the entertainment unit, and got her fingers stuck in the vcr swing door thingy. Took her about 9 seconds...and she can't even walk yet.

You don't even want to know what kind of mischief my 4, 3, and 1 1/2 year old nephews can get into inside of 2 minutes.

You just can't keep an eye on kids all the time.

That said, you also can't "child-proof" everything they come in contact with until they're 18. You do the best you can do, and hope nothing bad happens.
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

hey guys - i guess my initial post was more really powered by anger than logic, no i do not have children, but have helped my mother raise 3 younger ones, i understand how pesky the lil guys can be, but when my mom brought another baby into the world we made sure to baby proof the house, whether that be childproofing all windows/doors/appliances, we also made sure to be conscience of what the child was doing at all times - we don't know all the details in this situation, so its also difficult to say if the parent was negligble or not, and if not this is a very tragic loss and i will pray for the family, i just thought that the police release was a tad ridiculars

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Wow, what a cold and callus remark...

You should seriously think before you type.

Thoughts and prayers with the family during this dark time.
    ...@therealarifjina...

Default Re: Re: Re: Child Deceased Calgary re: window blinds

hey guys - i guess my initial post was more really powered by anger than logic, no i do not have children, but have helped my mother raise 3 younger ones, i understand how pesky the lil guys can be, but when my mom brought another baby into the world we made sure to baby proof the house, whether that be childproofing all windows/doors/appliances, we also made sure to be conscience of what the child was doing at all times - we don't know all the details in this situation, so its also difficult to say if the parent was negligble or not, and if not this is a very tragic loss and i will pray for the family, i just thought that the police release was a tad ridiculars

Originally posted by EK 2.0

Wow, what a cold and callus remark...

You should seriously think before you type.

Thoughts and prayers with the family during this dark time.
    like i said my original remark was made out of anger for an incident that could have essentially been avoided, and i apologized for how it came out - i didn't quite read the whole document and assumed foul play was involved, so i am remoarseful of my original comment, all i can do is apologize and pray for the for the baby and the family mouring this accident

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Child Deceased Calgary re: window blinds

like i said my original remark was made out of anger for an incident that could have essentially been avoided, and i apologized for how it came out - i didn't quite read the whole document and assumed foul play was involved, so i am remoarseful of my original comment, all i can do is apologize and pray for the for the baby and the family mouring this accident
    Fair enough, anger is usually the first instinct when a child dies.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    POS

R.I.P. I have a 5 and 3 year old and can't possibly imagine something like that happening, as it would be absolutely devastating. You can't watch kids 24/7, like the others said, you can childproof your house 99.9% and your child will find that .1% that you missed. It would literally take less time for something like that to happen then for you to take a shit.

It just a very sad way to start your morning. We tried our hardest to babyproof our house. Stuff does happen, our little guy was a climber, we had to take out all the shelving in everything or he would climb it.

We do the best we can as parents, accidents happen this was preventable. Regardless it has happened, and my heart breaks for the family.

Just wait until the weekend is over...how many children do you think will fall out of window screens with the weather warming up Sat and Sunday.

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

When I was a baby, I was sick at home and my Mom took the windows in my room out to wash them. She was rinsing the windows in the bathtub and placing them back in after drying them.

She took out the window in my room, turned her back on me, and I JUMPED THE FUCK OUT OF THE WINDOW! haha. I can still remember vividly looking up at my mom hanging out the window, yelling hysterically while the world spun around and around..

There's nothing you can do when you have a child to truly protect them.. Life is not safe! We'll find any way we can to hurt ourselves

RIP to the little baby, And I hope sometime in the near future the parents can find peace.
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by kevie88

She took out the window in my room, turned her back on me, and I JUMPED THE FUCK OUT OF THE WINDOW!

And now you race bikes...haha...
    ...@therealarifjina...

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/25 Pilot BE

its a sad situation but you need to watch your kids and look for possible hazards like this in your house