Quantcast
Do Police have speed limits? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do Police have speed limits?

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by gpomp
    would you prefer him to drive through a red light without turning on his lights and siren? that probably won't be too safe.
    I think what he meant was, when cops come up to a red light at normal speed, hit the flashers, go thru, and then continue normal speed. It happens on a regular basis. Maybe they are supposed to be in motion at all times if possible.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
    I heard a rumor that cops won't/can't go over 180. The helicopter though, that's a different story.
    I had an RCMP on highway 93 in BC tell me that his interceptor was governed at 150 km/h.

... made me kind of sad I pulled over

My Ride
    49cc Honda bicycle/89 Accord SE-i/59 Impala/93shaq

hwy 93 is sweet. Bisco and Spillmacheen

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by Godfuader

I think what he meant was, when cops come up to a red light at normal speed, hit the flashers, go thru, and then continue normal speed. It happens on a regular basis. Maybe they are supposed to be in motion at all times if possible.
    I know a guy who is a CPS, and I asked him about this once. He had a reason, and quoted some regulation, but it all sounded like BS to me.
    Whatever, I cut the cops some slack, because I sure as hell wouldn't do that job for the amount they get paid.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Whatever, I cut the cops some slack, because I sure as hell wouldn't do that job for the amount they get paid.
    Agreed - you have to really love it cause you're not doing it for the money and a lot of people dislike you.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by bspot

I had an RCMP on highway 93 in BC tell me that his interceptor was governed at 150 km/h.

... made me kind of sad I pulled over
    So you're saying i'm having a ball @ 235km/h in my Corrado, the cops can't pull me over cause they simply aren't fast enough!?
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You can't outrun the radio.

If you are driving over 200 km/h, you probably aren't going to stop for them even if they could keep up. They they have the choice of trying to force you off the road (PIT manuever), which is unsafe at that speed, or using thier radio for backup. they can use the radio even if they can't keep up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

My Ride
    STi

Seems like the cops have the ability to do anything when their lights are on...

One night i was driving home on crowchild when i see a cop infront of me turn on his lights. He then proceeds to back up about 50-100 meters so that he can take a turn off that he missed. Then he turns off his lights and proceeds as normal at a normal speed... meaning there was no emergency

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

^ whats wrong with that?

Youre trying to get to a call promptly, but not expeditiously.
    Most cops have a stack of files (by files I mean bad people) to deal with so the less time they spend driving around in circles, the better.

You do what it takes to get there - unless he was being totally wreckless, even with his lights on.

My Ride
    STi

^^ unless it was an emergency, I don't see how backing up on crowchild and going against the flow of traffic isn't considered reckless. He turned off his lights and continued on as normal so i doubt time is of the issue on that case. It was only around 11 or 12 on a saturday, so there was still plenty of traffic.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

I heard a rumor that cops won't/can't go over 180. The helicopter though, that's a different story.
    Did you hear that from F&F3?

"They catch you doing 180+, they don't even bother trying to catch you" - Han
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

Cops speed all the time.... 80% of the police cars i've driven behind are either speeding or going way under the limit...

If a cop is speeding in front of me(without his flashers) i'll just keep up with him... unless he's doing 20+ over the limit.

I think it's funny when i see a cop driving 20 under the limit and there are a line of cars behind him/her, because they're too afraid to pass a police vehicle.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Originally posted by zipdoa

So you're saying i'm having a ball @ 235km/h in my Corrado, the cops can't pull me over cause they simply aren't fast enough!?
    Even if their cars could go 235 they wouldn't do it because it's not safe and might cause you to drive even faster if pursued, and odds of someone innocent dying are pretty good.

If you're doing that, you can say hello to Mr. Spikebelt

My Ride
    S14|TB1

and to add to that you can't outrun HAWCS..x2! unless you do it mafia style and have a replacement car waiting for you in a parkade like in Goodfellas i think it was.

iirc the cops will not chase past 160kph because they also then become a danger to bystanders/traffic if they do lose control for whatever reason. Plus.. this isn't fken america where the police procedures seem to resemble a hollywood movie.

plus they have 2 helicopters that can track you day or night, no difference to the FLIR

My Ride
    1985 300ZX

I have been involved in emergency services for many years mostly in EMS and fire but have since had to give it up recently due to medical reasons.

The actual law states that the police only need the a red light flashing to exceed the speed limit and bypass traffic but take my word for it, its not as glamorous as it seems...yeah the first 6 months or so its pretty cool but after that you realize how truly dangerous it is and you just want to get there as fast as you can and safe as you can so you can get home to your girlfriend, wife, kids, xbox, etc...

As far as turning the siren off after the lights yeah, most cops like to sneak up and catch the guy in the act and intersections are the most dangerous areas hence the need for the quick warning. Also we also get canceled or downgraded all the time.

Granted there is always some bad apples that give a bad name, but its a tough job you get criticized for not responding fast enough and then for driving to fast...give these guys a break already
    Speedy
    1985 300ZX & 1991 300ZX

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

Originally posted by nbaker00
    It's stupid.....
    I've seen a cop turn on his lights and suren so many times just to go through a red light, then turns them off once he's through..
    Fucking bs

I was beside a cop who did that one time... It was in winnipeg though around 2 AM. We were both stopped at the red light than he makes a left turn after flicking his lights on than turns them off immediately after. There were no cars at all that late in the night sooooo.... I turned too.

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by n1zm0

and to add to that you can't outrun HAWCS..x2!
    Too bad the helicopters have a 0-60 of about 18 minutes.

I've seen them take off, and it takes them FOREVER to go through flight checks, if they're not already in the air they're useless.

I wonder what percentage of the day they are actually in the air?

They have to be able to see you in order to radio your location. I know of people who have escaped the cops pretty easily. Garages and wash bays work quite well.

I'm not condoning running from the cops, I've never done it, but saying it is impossible because of helicopters and radio is a fallacy.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Originally posted by Hakkola

Too bad the helicopters have a 0-60 of about 18 minutes.

I've seen them take off, and it takes them FOREVER to go through flight checks, if they're not already in the air they're useless.

I wonder what percentage of the day they are actually in the air?

They have to be able to see you in order to radio your location. I know of people who have escaped the cops pretty easily. Garages and wash bays work quite well.

I'm not condoning running from the cops, I've never done it, but saying it is impossible because of helicopters and radio is a fallacy.
    But once they are in the air they should have very little trouble catching up with you.

My Ride
    4Runner

It's not impossible to outrun a cop. It really depends where you are in the city
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    Always wanted a celica? Or just since you got your first period?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast