Quantcast
Lexus to introduce a Prius type model - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Lexus to introduce a Prius type model

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Default Lexus to introduce a Prius type model

Looking forward to this.. a hybrid Lexus hatch, small in size and economical.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    I like. :)

There's a concept "small in size and economical" luxury car... I bought mine about 7 years ago.

It wasn't a hybrid but I've been getting Manual City 7.7 / Hwy. 6.2, Automatic City 8.0 / Hwy. 6.0, since 2002. There was the VW TDI but Acura was the choice for overall reliability and trouble-free operation.

It's pretty weird that everyone said that Acura had to get rid of it's small cars (Integra, RSX, EL, CSX) to be taken seriously. But here we are 7+ years after Acura introduced the concept of compact/efficient luxury to his century and finally BMW has the 1-series, Audi has the A3, and Lexus wants to make a luxury Matrix hybrid.

My point is I'm all for the concept. I was all for it 7 years ago, and I find it funny that all these other brands are pushing "economical, compact, luxury" as a new idea.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

yea.. dropping rsx just cuz it had bad rep...

acura ftw

Originally posted by treg50
    There's a concept "small in size and economical" luxury car... I bought mine about 7 years ago.

It wasn't a hybrid but I've been getting Manual City 7.7 / Hwy. 6.2, Automatic City 8.0 / Hwy. 6.0, since 2002. There was the VW TDI but Acura was the choice for overall reliability and trouble-free operation.

It's pretty weird that everyone said that Acura had to get rid of it's small cars (Integra, RSX, EL, CSX) to be taken seriously. But here we are 7+ years after Acura introduced the concept of compact/efficient luxury to his century and finally BMW has the 1-series, Audi has the A3, and Lexus wants to make a luxury Matrix hybrid.

My point is I'm all for the concept. I was all for it 7 years ago, and I find it funny that all these other brands are pushing "economical, compact, luxury" as a new idea.
    Are you talking about the 1.7EL AKA Civic with leather?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

It looks nice, but that kind of vehicle is hardly befitting of the Lexus nameplate.

The Prius is too expensive to sell as a Toyota. I think that's the right choice.

My Ride
    civic

Looks like the mazda 3 sport to me!!!

My Ride
    Bicycle

Perspective changed.

But Civic + Leather still doesn't cut it. You need new sheetmetal, interior and special function to set it apart.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-15-2008 at 02:17 PM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

There is a reason the CSX is only sold in Canada. It is because Canadians fell for the Jedi mind trick that a Civic with leather is a higher model.

What Canadians didn't realize is that Acura was just an easy way for Honda to throw on some slightly different sheet metal, headlights and tail lights and call it "luxury."

Sorry, the CSX is not the epitome of compact luxury.

The 1 series, the A3 and the B class are also not "luxury" vehicles. Hell, the 3 series, A4 and C class aren't luxury either.

And the debate starts again.

Originally posted by QuasarCav
    Are you talking about the 1.7EL AKA Civic with leather?
    x2.

My Ride
    I like. :)

I was saying I like the concept behind this Lexus, "economical, compact, luxury." Despite what people thought of Acura's entry model's level of luxury at the time, the concept of that model was ahead of it's time. People didn't get it then but I guess now they do.

Originally posted by benyl
    There is a reason the CSX is only sold in Canada. It is because Canadians fell for the Jedi mind trick that a Civic with leather is a higher model.

What Canadians didn't realize is that Acura was just an easy way for Honda to throw on some slightly different sheet metal, headlights and tail lights and call it "luxury."
    That's an over-simplification of the differences. Gotta be careful there's actually people out there who think that you're correct. BUT I digress, discussing those cars was not my point though, I was focused more on the concept of that model level.

The 1 series, the A3 and the B class are also not "luxury" vehicles. Hell, the 3 series, A4 and C class aren't luxury either.

And the debate starts again.
    No interest in starting that debate. I think those cars including the entry level Acura have a level of luxury, but I never said it was the epitome of it. The concept behind that model level is a concept that BMW, MB, and Lexus are now copying.

The worlds' most popular luxury car manufacturers are making "economical compacts". Whether they fit everyone's definition of "luxury" or not, the luxury manufacturers are making them.

Mercedes-Benz has the B-class, BMW has a 1-series with 5-doors... Lexus was as well go for it.

My Ride

While I agree with the 1.7 EL/Civic comparsions, the CSX and Civic differ more than just by a mind trick.

Your right about the headlights and tail lights, but also a better engine, tranny, suspension, HIDs, Nav, Premium sound system, full illuminated steering wheel controls, digital info display, climate control, air filtration system, heated leather seats, disc brakes, ... to mention what I can remember off the top of my head.

Compact luxury the CSX is not, but is more than a dressed up Civic. The only person who would disagree is one who has not driven both.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

civic=csx is like saying IS=corolla

My Ride
    BMW

Originally posted by jwslam
    IS=corolla
    ?????

IS and corolla are completely different, nothing is the same

Civic and CSX (EL) have a lot of similarities, interior, exterior, drivetrain, etc...
    2008 BMW e90 335i - Dinan stg 2, Dinan intake, AE exhaust

1986 BMW 325i - Sold
    2012 BMW X3 35i Msport - Sold
    2006 BMW 330i - Sold

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I was saying I like the concept behind this Lexus, "economical, compact, luxury." Despite what people thought of Acura's entry model's level of luxury at the time, the concept of that model was ahead of it's time. People didn't get it then but I guess now they do.
    Got to love the honda fanboys on here.

1982 Caddillac Cimmaron: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Cimarron
    1990 Infiniti G20: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infiniti_G20

The 1.6EL didn't show up until 1996.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_1.6EL

Ahead of it's time eh?

That's the most ignorant comparison I've seen on beyond to date.

The Lexus is FR, Corolla is FF. They don't share any major components whatsoever.

Civic and CSX are built on the exact same platform with the same engine(s), and many of the same parts and panels.

My Ride

Yeah not so much

Originally posted by Fiddy Yen

?????

IS and corolla are completely different, nothing is the same

Civic and CSX (EL) have a lot of similarities, interior, exterior, drivetrain, etc...
    Drivetrain is not similar

Originally posted by richardchan2002

Civic and CSX are built on the exact same platform with the same engine(s), and many of the same parts and panels.
    Engine is not the same

Originally posted by 5hift

While I agree with the 1.7 EL/Civic comparsions, the CSX and Civic differ more than just by a mind trick.

Your right about the headlights and tail lights, but also a better engine, tranny, suspension, HIDs, Nav, Premium sound system, full illuminated steering wheel controls, digital info display, climate control, air filtration system, heated leather seats, disc brakes, ... to mention what I can remember off the top of my head.

Compact luxury the CSX is not, but is more than a dressed up Civic. The only person who would disagree is one who has not driven both.
    If you compare to a Civic SI, half of your above list is eliminated.

You pay extra for the toys they slap on - like HID's, Nav, Leather, etc. But at the end of the day, it's still just an optioned up Civic. Both cars roll off the same assembly line in Alliston, Ontario.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Yeah not so much

Drivetrain is not similar

Engine is not the same
    The Type-S variant debuted as a 2007 model and uses the identical drivetrain found in the US and Canadian market 2006+ Honda Civic Si which consists of a 2.0L I4, 197 horsepower (147 kW) i-VTEC engine (K20Z3), 6-speed manual transmission and helical limited-slip differential.

Engine is not the same
    Let's see. K20Z2 in the base model CSX and Civic. K20Z3 in the CSX Type-S and Civic SI.

You gotta stop listening to the Acura salespeople.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast