Quantcast
Close call: Almost signed up for Telus internet (shudder). - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Close call: Almost signed up for Telus internet (shudder).

Default Close call: Almost signed up for Telus internet (shudder).

Last Feb, I switched from Telus to Shaw after suffering through a support nightmare with Telus. It was a perfect painless transition.

This weekend, I considered moving back to Telus. We needed to move our computer to the basement. To avoid a cabling nightmare, we figured it would be easier to re-sign up with Telus and use the existing phone jack in the basement.

So I called up Telus, to get the details on the installation. As call progressed, the details of their self-install nightmare came back to me... Additionally I remembered the management overhead required by both their modem, and their MAC registration process. I remembered long hours on the phone with useless tech support. So I thanked buddy, and told him I'd "think about it".

I thought about it, and the though of dealing with Telus Internet again made my balls shrivel, and draw up inside of me.

So, I broke out the drill, got 50 ft of Coax, and ran some cable into my basement. Bit of a mess and 20 minutes later, it was done.

I shudder to think of how it could have turned out otherwise, had I returned to Telus.

how did you get down the stairs in your wheelchair?

My Ride
    POS Voyager

very true

however you could have installed a wireless card in your computer and setup a wireless router and boom you wouldn't have to drill holes or whatever

unless you got a purpose of using cable then what you did was a great thing

stay away from TELUS!!!

I will run far away from Telus when my contract is up. This company is garbage! Everytime I call network support when my net goes down, all they tell me to do it push the reset button and unplug and replug in my router. After that they tell me that someone else will call me within a week?!?!?!?!??? and then no one calls... luckily the internet starts working after I try 100 different things myself.

My Ride
    has three pedals.

I have had my internet for 3 years now, and only two slight problems here and there. Always working?

And why would you resign up with telus to get a basement port? lol laaazzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyy

Default Re: Close call: Almost signed up for Telus internet (shudder).

Originally posted by Legless_Marine2

So, I broke out the drill, got 50 ft of Coax, and ran some cable into my basement. Bit of a mess and 20 minutes later, it was done.

I shudder to think of how it could have turned out otherwise, had I returned to Telus.
    Did you wire from your old "computer room" to your basement? or from the shaw-box outside to your basement? How much does shaw charge to come out and make a new cable outlet?

My Ride
    Forester STI

Wireless router
    The Lazymans Signature (tm)

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Default Re: Re: Close call: Almost signed up for Telus internet (shudder).

Originally posted by szw

Did you wire from your old "computer room" to your basement? or from the shaw-box outside to your basement? How much does shaw charge to come out and make a new cable outlet?
    Nothing.
    I had shaw come out and wire up 3 new outlets and connect them to my smart center. Chargers at the end = $0
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by nonlinear
    how did you get down the stairs in your wheelchair?
    A little harsh/extreme wouldn't you think?

I lawled though cause it IS Beyond

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

" Close call: Almost signed up for Telus internet (shudder)"

I LOL'd at that.... because I also speak from experience.

The general Telus service in Vancouver used to be so bad that the main Telus building in Burnaby was shot at with a high power rifle one night.

Originally posted by FreakinPrince
    very true

however you could have installed a wireless card in your computer and setup a wireless router and boom you wouldn't have to drill holes or whatever
    I used wireless for a few days to stage the move, but don't care for running wireless in the house.

Default Re: Re: Close call: Almost signed up for Telus internet (shudder).

Originally posted by szw

Did you wire from your old "computer room" to your basement?
    From inside, had an unused jack. Pulled baseboards, ran cable behind for a distance, then drilled hole in cieling to run cable behind.

Default Re: Re: Re: Close call: Almost signed up for Telus internet (shudder).

Originally posted by Kavy

Nothing.
    I had shaw come out and wire up 3 new outlets and connect them to my smart center. Chargers at the end = $0
    When shaw came out last year, they were fricking brilliant. Buddy found that I had signal strenth issues, so he cabled up an inline amp, cut custom cable lengths for my other hardware, and made sure I was able to lease an IP before he left.

All that, and he noticed that my screen size setting on my projection TV were off, and showed me how to fix it.

It was a fantastic experience - Moreso because I'd just spent the last two weeks on the phone with Telus while morons asked me to reboot my computer repeatedly.