Quantcast
WTB: Dependable used Bike for city use - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: WTB: Dependable used Bike for city use

Default WTB: Dependable used Bike for city use

Hi,

I'm looking for a bike to get me around the city, mostly back and forth from school.

As such, I don't need anything too crazy, but would like to get a decent bike that is

a) dependable/safe
    b) lightweight enough that it is enjoyable to ride.

Suspension is not necessary. Disk brakes, with a decent gear shift would be preferred. Don't need something for off road, but something that can handle the odd cut through the park.

Please let me know if you have anything that you were looking to sell, or if you were considering upgrading to a new bike, and were going to trade in your used bike anyways.

If you don't have a bike, but have advice on getting one, please let me know!

Thanks!

My Ride
    City of Calgary limo service ;-)

From what I was told, disk brakes, unless you get expensive hydraulic ones, are no better than standard ones.

I was also told that for regular commuter/city biking rear suspension is not good. It takes away power from your pedaling.

Try PinkBike.com and Bow Cycles classifieds (that's were I found mine yesterday).

what size do you need? i have a couple bikes sitting around

and in regards to disc brakes, stopping power on dry pavement for cable disc and v brakes are no different. but the difference is in wet/muddy conditions disc brakes (hydraulic or not) will perform better.

My Ride
    '04 Civic, '07 Element SC

Default Re: WTB: Dependable used Bike for city use

There's also a non-profit place in Eau Claire that sells refurb'd bikes. They are not pretty nor usually common name brands.

Just salvaged bikes that get rebuilt. If you truely want something that gets you from point a - b, you might get something there for under $100

Originally posted by PAV
    Hi,

I'm looking for a bike to get me around the city, mostly back and forth from school.

As such, I don't need anything too crazy, but would like to get a decent bike that is

a) dependable/safe
    b) lightweight enough that it is enjoyable to ride.

Suspension is not necessary. Disk brakes, with a decent gear shift would be preferred. Don't need something for off road, but something that can handle the odd cut through the park.

Please let me know if you have anything that you were looking to sell, or if you were considering upgrading to a new bike, and were going to trade in your used bike anyways.

If you don't have a bike, but have advice on getting one, please let me know!

Thanks!

My Ride
    2006 Honda Civic

Default bike

I'm selling a rocky mountain rc50d hybrid bike. It is only a year old and in excellent condition. It is an excellent commuter bike and also has hydraulic disc brakes. Not sure what your price range is, but check out the link if you're interested...

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ198201043