Quantcast
Obtaining your class 6 in alberta, insurance, gear and more! - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Obtaining your class 6 in alberta, insurance, gear and more!

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

The 3 companys I contacted when looking, all would insure me without a class 6. Not that big of a deal

My Ride
    R50

So does the classroom course component actually help with the knowledge test? I'm wondering if i should get the knowledge test done ahead of time or not.

Avoid basyside performance like the plague. If anything goes wrong with your order, they won't fix it. I recommend Blue Streak Racing.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

As an update to the thread...

I just recently finished at 'Too Cool Motorcycle School', and have to say it was an AMAZING class. Instructors are awesome, keep you interested and you learn a lot. Don't know how its possible to ride without a course (there's sooo much to learn).

Just got my written test done today at the registry, and just have the road test left to do.

Seems like a very intimidating process before you go for it, but the whole process to getting my class 6 has been really smooth once you get going.

Looking forward to getting a bike over the winter and start riding early next spring.

My Ride
    AWOL

Default Re: Obtaining your class 6, insurance, gear and more!

I took my course months ago with FSI because they were the only ones with space available. I tried to get into Too Cool, but it seems you have to book now for next season! I'll be doing that for my refresher.

Anyway, FSI was ok. The course portion was dull (I think that's kinda standard? still feels like it could use improvement) and the classroom instructor was adequate. Their lot is out by the airport/Westwinds c-train. It's not huge but has some elevation changes and enough room to set up a decent "street course". They have a good amount of newer bikes to choose from, like the CBR125, a few slightly larger 250 yammy/kawi sportsbike, Hyosung cruiser (probably 250) and some red dirtbikes. There was around a dozen people in the class (maybe 15) and two instructors to start for the boring stuff. A third instructor arrived once we got into the tighter courses and maneuvering. The lot instructors were fun, personable and decent teachers. There was enough helmets, motorcycles and cones for everyone! Two girls "dropped" the class (and one bike) due to health or personal reasons (husband made her do it; she preferred the bitch seat). The road ride was safe, fun and well coordinated by our lead and sweep. After a couple hours, most of us wanted to go again, unfortunately on the second road ride we got caught out in some minor hail. Not a fun ride back, but still enjoyable overall.

Some info to add:
    - you DO NOT need a completed written test, or a roadtest permit, nor a class 6 just to take your riding safety course! Having a class 7 or 5 is enough, and don't forget to bring it for the road ride.
    - double-check with your course that you can use their bikes to take your class 6 roadtest. I guess this is moot if you already have a bike.
    - try to ride every bike your course has. I started on the Hyosung pig which wasn't fun, but it was good to experience a heavier, sluggish bike, different clutch, brakes, etc. before hopping onto the awesomely nimble and surprisingly not-slow-ish CBR125.
    - don't grab the biggest CC bike they have just to be a big man, go by fit and feel! It will be easier and you will have a lot more fun. In the end, the cruiser riders stuck to the cruisers, the tall guys took the bigger 250s and most people were screamin on the CBRs. The dirtbikes stayed in the shed

Oh and nice use of colors in your post

Originally posted by Palmiros
    c) Fleet Safety International
    Phone #: 403-283-0077

My Ride
    '19 GTI

GOT MY CLASS 6 TODAY!!!!

So stoked... Now in the bike market.
    To be honest though, test wasn't that bad.

Guy who took the test before me said he failed, from there i got a little nervous. But jumped on the bike and it wasn't that bad. Had a hill start, stop signs, yields, uncontrolled intersections, etc....
    But in the end he dinged me twice (10pts ea) for showing poor balance which is kind-of insulting since im a licensed bike racer.....
    But whatever, passed, got the 56...

My Ride
    300 Limited

Originally posted by swak
    GOT MY CLASS 6 TODAY!!!!

So stoked... Now in the bike market.
    To be honest though, test wasn't that bad.

Guy who took the test before me said he failed, from there i got a little nervous. But jumped on the bike and it wasn't that bad. Had a hill start, stop signs, yields, uncontrolled intersections, etc....
    But in the end he dinged me twice (10pts ea) for showing poor balance which is kind-of insulting since im a licensed bike racer.....
    But whatever, passed, got the 56...
    Congrats! Did this thread provide any usable tips/anything in the thread that needs to be updated?
    It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Originally posted by Palmiros

Congrats! Did this thread provide any usable tips/anything in the thread that needs to be updated?
    To be honest, this thread did help a lot.

I referred to it every step of the way, and will likely be using the reference list of insurers.

Nothing but good work from your part on this thread palmiros.
    Thanks for everything!

.... and to the new riders looking to get into biking, GO TO TOO COOL!

Thought I'd throw this out there.

Last edited by Merritt; 08-02-2011 at 11:06 AM.
    Does everything matter or does nothing matter?

My Ride
    ////M

I just took a course through Stampede Driving School with some buddies - it was a decent enough course, got lots of riding time. By the end I felt very comfortable riding (on the little 125's) and just received my class 6 on the weekend. The only issue was booking the test - if you take the course through Stampede just make sure you book your road test WELL in advance if you want to take it right after the course.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

This was a super helpful thread! I am just starting and it answered a lot of my questions. Thanks!

My Ride
    rx7,zx6r

Hey folks, haven't done the course, but looking to do my Road Test this week.
    I know this thread had a few tips... I was just wondering if i could get anymore.

I know i would fail a car test if I had to do one, what with remembering how to do an emergency stop and all that crap...

I just dont want to have missed out on any important steps or procedures that I might have learned in the course.

Or am I simply gonna be riding around safely, checking my mirrors, shoulder checking, and passing the test haha?

Jimmy

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

If you can hill start, signal/cancel signal, shoulder check, drive the speed limit (not too slow), understand uncontrolled intersections, turn properly, keep to left side of lane and merge onto the highway properly then you'll pass.

If you know how to ride a bike and are experienced then you should be good. If you're just learning and aren't too experienced then the course may be a good idea.

I personally didn't take the course, passed with 100% first try, but I also first learned how to ride a bike when I was 10 and by the time I was 13/14 I was already driving a moped and ysr on public roads with no insurance or license.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    NC1

My first post ever in the bike section. Letting you all know, the Bully is going to get his license and join the crew!

Going to read the rest of this thread now.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Aw shit, you saw that Porsche made a bike, noticed some extra room on the HELOC and had to jump on it, right?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Mibz
    Aw shit, you saw that Porsche made a bike, noticed some extra room on the HELOC and had to jump on it, right?
    probably just another venue for him to try and pick up chicks... wonder if he knows that all he needs for that is the jacket and helmet...

Originally posted by ercchry
    probably just another venue for him to try and pick up chicks... wonder if he knows that all he needs for that is the jacket and helmet...
    I got a thumbs up from an Asian chick and a couple rear-view stares in your hood while riding around in a v-neck with my chest hair showing. I was a gold chain away from WOP Prime but the ladies love a man on a bike :P

Lucky for me, nobody can see my face.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

yeah i had a car load of young girls that wouldnt stop waving at me in traffic till i waved back on mcleod the other week... good times

My Ride
    NC1

HAHA! Trolls!

This will be good. I hope I can get in with Too Cool.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Hey max what week do you got for too cool?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast