Quantcast
Honda "Stale Air/Foul Odor" Question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Honda "Stale Air/Foul Odor" Question

My Ride
    Honda Accord

Default Honda "Stale Air/Foul Odor" Question

I am dealing with a very bizarre car issue and I was hoping that somebody out there has either dealt with a similiar situation or has some ideas on how to resolve it.

Situation:

I have a 97 Honda Accord. Two months ago, when I turned the car heater on, I smelled a terrible odor. The best way I can describe the odor is to say that it smells like a dead animal. It is truly horrible. The smell permiates the car when I turn the heater or air conditioner on, but doesn't smell at all if they are off. Hence, I haven't been using either and life has been fine.

Anyway, I decided to get the car checked out today because eventually I would need to use the heater. The service technician have done everything, except go through the dash to get to the heater core. The techs have removed the windshield, the lights and have examined the entire engine...no sign of any animal. Now, they want to take my entire dash apart so they can examine near the heater core. This will cost $750.00 because of the labor and they still might not find anything.

My question is: if it was an animal, wouldn't it just decompose? I mean, it has been two months already. Could there be some other issue? It doesn't smell like mold or mildew. Nor does it smell like any type of electrical issue (no rubber or burning smell).

I told you this was a bizarre one. Help!

Does it smell like burning coolant (antifreeze)? It kinda has an "organic" smell when it burns...

Try taking some and splashing it on a hot part of your engine and see if the smell is similar.... or ask someone with experience when it comes to having leaking heater hoses or a blown rad.

Maybe you just need some insoles for your shoes

My Ride
    Honda Accord

I will try that, thanks!

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

.... maybe it's that 2 month old taco bell hiding under your seat... ugh.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

That happened to my cousins 3.2TL. A squirrel ran into the engine and got mutilated by the fan....

My Ride
    4th GeN LuDe

Did you lend your car out to any of you freinds????
    Might be in need of checking for some dirty ginch !!!!

My Ride
    a wrx.

2 months isnt enough time for a dead animal to completely decompose

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Try disinfecting the interior. You can find some heavy duty interior disinfectant at like Barry's Auto (the Pro Car line) spray that stuff all over the interior and let it sit for a day. That should get rid of anything that smells from the interior.

My Ride
    91 PP1 - 93 EH6 - 01 BB6

Probably my lost cat! Oh god fluffy nooo!! Possibly the heater core filters have mildew on them?? Just an idea.

My Ride
    1995 Nissan 240SX

yea i think mildew is it.. my cars air stank too until i sprayed this anti mildew spray i bought at local auto store

max
    240 ka-t

febreeze febreeze febreeze

My Ride
    92SiR, 05B5G, 89KA24

i was getting air freshners and i seen this thing at napa, i dont know how it works but i read the can and it gets rid of odors from your air conditioning and heating bout 6bux

My Ride
    91 PP1 - 93 EH6 - 01 BB6

Ugh.. febreeze .. It just covers odours and leaves a nasty after-smell once it mixes with whatever was stinking in the first place..

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E60,ITR

It's the mildew/mold caused by the A/C system condensation. You need to get it cleaned out.

To avoid that smell if I used A/C, I turn off the A/C and crank the heat for a few minutes before I turn off the car.

I'm experiencing a similar odor problem with my 1999 Honda Accord that just started on Xmas day. It does smell like rotten flesh of an animal. I've also noticed tiny flakes of a certain white material coming from the dashboard vents when i turn the blower fan on high speed. This could be connected with the strong odor i'm having. Perhaps the white material got loose somehow or got trapped in the heating/cooling system. This smell could also be toxic!
    Yesterday I went to the dealership to make an appointment for my car. They said they beleive it is a "mildew" problem.
    What do you think about my comments? I think this could be a start of a bigger problem that Honda doesn't know to exist. The more we get the facts the better it will be to address the problem with Honda at a higher level (not dealership level). There's no reason for a consumer to spend his own money for a "mildew" problem caused by a possible faulty design in engineering. Also, the people at Consumer Reports should be made aware of this "mildew" problem. if this smell is "dangerous to a person's health, then the problem should be reported promptly to the Dept. of Transportation Auto Safety hotline at 888-327-4231.

Thanks in advance!

My Ride
    1995 Honda Civic

Well, I think it is the anti-freeze. Just add some more. My boyfriend experienced the same problem. Whenever the air conditioning was on (since it was during summer) it smelt like a rotted fish. Once more anti-freeze was put in, the smell was gone. Also, just recently this week, my Honda Civic started smelling. Just right when I open my car to sit down, it smells like, simply put it, a fart or perhaps on the mildew side. My heat nor air conditioning is on. I have no idea what could cause it. So, please help.

My Ride
    2001 Grand am

this thread is almost 2 months old quit stirring up the old posts... obviously the guy doesn't comehere anymore.. or he has gotten an aswer to his problem.

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

Originally posted by gpomp
    It's the mildew/mold caused by the A/C system condensation. You need to get it cleaned out.

To avoid that smell if I used A/C, I turn off the A/C and crank the heat for a few minutes before I turn off the car.
    This is what I think it is. There is a cleaner you can buy at walmart that you spray into the cab air intake with the heater on. I don't know how well it works though tbh. If you have a cabin air filter, try changing that since on some cars the condensation from the A/C can soak into it an get it all rancid.