Quantcast
My girlfriend passed the breathalyzer, they still towed her car. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My girlfriend passed the breathalyzer, they still towed her car.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Question My girlfriend passed the breathalyzer, they still towed her car.

I'm wondering about the legalities of how this was handled, not how she can get out of it.

My girlfriend was on her way to my place after sobering up from some wine and on the way got into a minor fender bender, rearending another car. No visible damage, no airbags, very minor. The other driver flipped a lid and called the cops saying she was drunk and cops came out to inspect the scene and give my girlfriend the breathalyzer.

Here's where it gets complicated, the cop gave her the breathalyzer and after she passed, he swapped out the unit for another one and had her blow and pass again. He got upset with her saying she was somehow manipulating the device to pass because he was so sure she was intoxicated, she ended up blowing 7 times into 3 different devices and passed every single time. Regardless of this, they towed her car, sent her home and charged her $125 to get her car out of impound after it was there for 2 days. She's also not allowed to drive for more than 3 weeks while she waits for her court date where they determine if she'll get a fine or lose her license for even longer.

WTF? Is this legal? She passed all tests, was not administered a field sobriety test (touch your nose and stuff) and they didn't take her blood. Can the cop simply decide he thinks she's wasted and take the car? The cop also took her license so she has no physical identification for three weeks.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

i believe if the cop deems your intoxicated even though you pass the breathalyzer you can still be slapped with a dui.

im not 100 percent sure though...

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Did she get a 24 hour suspension??

Non GDL? So she was legally allowed to have up to a .08 BAP? Hmmm... Small girls can still be deemed as "unfit" to drive, even if they are passing the test. Weird situation, douchey cop.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by JfuckinC
    Did she get a 24 hour suspension??
    i thought the op made it pretty clear that the cop took her license on the spot and she has no chance of getting ti back til court in 3 weeks.

reading>you
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by Thaco
    i thought the op made it pretty clear that the cop took her license on the spot and she has no chance of getting ti back til court in 3 weeks.

reading>you
    lol i got a problem with skimming.. even in books.. my bad!
    Sounds like bullshit though

My Ride
    08 GSR

Originally posted by GQBalla
    i believe if the cop deems your intoxicated even though you pass the breathalyzer you can still be slapped with a dui.

im not 100 percent sure though...
    I think they are allowed to tow your car if they think you are a "threat" on the road because they think you are intoxicated, but passed the breathalyzer. But I don't think they can slap you with a DUI though.

There is no on the spot suspensions outside of a 24 hour. Did she receive any paperwork on this? There is no spot suspensions preceding court dates outside of the Alberta one if you are charged with an impaired. That is a 3 month suspension, but it comes in effect after I forget how many days, unless she is already suspended, then it's immediate. I'd have her make some inquirers with the area that the guy that 'suspended' her works.

Either this is a massive misunderstanding or something isn't right here. Did she receive any paperwork with the officers name? If not does she know if it was a zone unit or traffic (traffic wear red jackets that are different from other officers). From there she can contact that office to try to get this sorted out.
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

Plain and simple, unless you are fine to drive the WHOLE night, go ahead. If she sobered up from being drunk, that's a little sketchy.

From what I know it should have been just a 24 hour suspension. He probably was rough on her because she got into an accident. Sounds like there might be more to this story...

Thing is she was drinking and she got into an accident. If I was a police officer, I would look down on that pretty roughly, like come on... I'm not sure if I can really look at this from any other angle. DUI. And it was a rear-end...
    Last edited by Spoons; 01-26-2010 at 05:19 PM.

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

Thats exactly what happened to my sister, almost down to the very last detail, except she had one glass of champagne and rear ended another car for not paying attention by fucking around on her ipod!!!

The cop made her take the breathalyzer in the back of the cop car 9 times, and it read nothing, then he wanted to charge her with refusal but never let her take a real test at the office.

She is going to court in Feb for "refusal"
    Last edited by LadyLuck; 01-26-2010 at 05:19 PM.
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

My Ride
    the ladies crazy!

You need to talk to a lawyer for sure
    Life is a Gamble.

She will be charged. It will be tossed out because she passed the breathalyzer several times. She wasnt arrested nor was blood taken to confirm. Talk to a laywer. Hell even a public defender will due in this case.

Oh yeah, is she GDL? If so then if she had any alcohol in her system then she recieves a 1 month suspension. She should have recieved paperwork as such. No court date in the end. After the month she can reapply to have her license reinstated.

If she has a court date it would be a for a ticket she recieved at the scene, not the GDL suspension.
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

Originally posted by LadyLuck
    Thats exactly what happened to my sister, almost down to the very last detail, except she had one glass of champagne and rear ended another car for not paying attention by fucking around on her ipod!!!

The cop made her take the breathalyzer in the back of the cop car 9 times, and it read nothing, then he wanted to charge her with refusal but never let her take a real test at the office.

She is going to court in Feb for "refusal"
    refusal on a roadside is a criminal charge. If someone is charged with that then they don't take the next step to a breathalyzer.

In court the crown will have to prove that the roadside was in good working order and that your sister refused to blow properly. A refusal isn't charged on a zero reading. For the zero reading a proper blow is needed, the refusal means that the cops involved are alleging that she didn't properly blow.

Come on... as sketchy as the cop was, your sister:

1) Rear ended someone... and
    2) Somehow her actions tipped off the other driver that she had been drinking.
    3) The cop believed that from her conduct that she was drunk.

Why would the other driver think she was drunk? She was obviously not acting sober, otherwise the other guy wouldn't have known shit.

The cop went overboard on what he did, but your sister didn't exactly put the odds in her favor.

Default Re: My girlfriend passed the breathalyzer, they still towed her car.

Originally posted by Mar
    I'm wondering about the legalities of how this was handled, not how she can get out of it.

My girlfriend was on her way to my place after sobering up from some wine and on the way got into a minor fender bender, rearending another car. No visible damage, no airbags, very minor. The other driver flipped a lid and called the cops saying she was drunk and cops came out to inspect the scene and give my girlfriend the breathalyzer.

Here's where it gets complicated, the cop gave her the breathalyzer and after she passed, he swapped out the unit for another one and had her blow and pass again. He got upset with her saying she was somehow manipulating the device to pass because he was so sure she was intoxicated, she ended up blowing 7 times into 3 different devices and passed every single time. Regardless of this, they towed her car, sent her home and charged her $125 to get her car out of impound after it was there for 2 days. She's also not allowed to drive for more than 3 weeks while she waits for her court date where they determine if she'll get a fine or lose her license for even longer.

WTF? Is this legal? She passed all tests, was not administered a field sobriety test (touch your nose and stuff) and they didn't take her blood. Can the cop simply decide he thinks she's wasted and take the car? The cop also took her license so she has no physical identification for three weeks.
    Before I even attempt to answer your questions here, were you at scene or is this information your girlfriend gave you? None of this adds up, and I'm not necessarily satisfied that the whole story is being told here.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Originally posted by Mar

My girlfriend
    Originally posted by Super_Geo
    your sister...
    Wait a minute...the girlfriend is the sister? It's all starting to come together.

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    Come on... as sketchy as the cop was, your sister:

1) Rear ended someone... and
    2) Somehow her actions tipped off the other driver that she had been drinking.
    3) The cop believed that from her conduct that she was drunk.

Why would the other driver think she was drunk? She was obviously not acting sober, otherwise the other guy wouldn't have known shit.

The cop went overboard on what he did, but your sister didn't exactly put the odds in her favor.

I think it was his gf, not sister... doesn't matter.

Fact is she passed a breathalyzer test several times... Isn't that like someone getting arrested for stealing because they are wearing a new jacket and look suspect?

**This is assuming the OP has actually posted all the details**

Originally posted by spike98
    She will be charged. It will be tossed out because she passed the breathalyzer several times. She wasnt arrested nor was blood taken to confirm. Talk to a laywer. Hell even a public defender will due in this case.
    What are you talking about?
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

My Ride
    SlowBalt

Originally posted by DayGlow
    Oh yeah, is she GDL? If so then if she had any alcohol in her system then she recieves a 1 month suspension. She should have recieved paperwork as such. No court date in the end. After the month she can reapply to have her license reinstated.

If she has a court date it would be a for a ticket she recieved at the scene, not the GDL suspension.
    My buddy has gotten 2 dui's under gdl and he didnt get any paperwork nor did he have to get his licence reinstated.... this was by rcmp if that makes a difference

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast