Quantcast
Going away for University vs Staying near home - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Going away for University vs Staying near home

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Originally posted by urban_chic
    Thank goodness for this thread!! I've been asking myself the same question for about 2-3 months now..Got accepted into the UofL Nursing, already paid down payments for res and tuition..but still hesitant to live there. ally or not..and their maturity and what they want out of school.
    U of L is a blast! I find people there were way more friendly then Calgary, and everything was WAY cheaper. Depending on your age there is also the older residence.. (not sure the official name) instead of being in UHall. Either way if you are the slightest bit social, you should have a great time. The nurses always seemed like a good time to me!

For those who say they would save 30k by staying at home.. how many of you would have the control to actually save that amount?? I know I wouldnt..... (Or actually keep a job if I didnt have to)

Originally posted by Manhattan
    PS - Living in rez in the same city you grew up is just stupid
    Why? I did it with U of C. I did it for the experience and like I said, it was great. There's a few members that I know of on this board that did it too.

This is off the top of my head but when I was with Residence Students' Association, there was about 20-30% Calgarians who lived in rez. It's more common than you think.

It also broke my ties with highschool friends and made new ones.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by JfuckinC
    Is there anywhere like that in Canada? WHERE?

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by CUG
    Is there anywhere like that in Canada? WHERE?
    haha my friends that went to mcgill said its pretty bomb. but prob not that cool. i wish i could go back in time and leave for college, fuck.

I went away and regret it.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by JfuckinC
    Yah man, i went highschool>sait>work, i make a shit ton of money for a 22 year old, but regret it EVERY day. Everyyyyyyyyy singggllllleeeeee dayyyyyyyyy.
    lol what's a "shit ton"?

Originally posted by A790

lol what's a "shit ton"?
    For a 22 year old, probably 60k a year?

Thomas Gabriel, I have a hard time believing that. Either that or you were a shut in that missed his friends too much back home and can't let go. If that is the case... have fun living at home when your 40.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

if i stayed in calgary i probably would a have a better job and saved a whole lot of money. oh well

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by Spoons

Thomas Gabriel, I have a hard time believing that. Either that or you were a shut in that missed his friends too much back home and can't let go. If that is the case... have fun living at home when your 40.
    I wouldn't say moving out is guaranteed to be a better move (socially or financially), but the idea is to get out of your comfort zone and meet new people. When you live at home with the same circle of friends, there is considerably less incentive to go out and meet new people.

For example, I've had the same circle of friends since I was about 6 years old so needless to say, I have a very tight social circle. If I had to deem a group of friends second to my close friends, I would say they were the friends I made when I spent 2 summers working in LA. A lot of whom I still talk to and are very close to today. A distant third are a lot of the people I met at the U of C.

To add to that, you also have to be mature and confident enough to handle this kind of a situation. Understandably, some people just aren't ready. So it's going to take a significant amount of self-inflection to make this kind of decision, rather than a simple yes-no
    Last edited by sexualbanana; 03-22-2010 at 10:35 AM.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    TL

Why? I did it with U of C. I did it for the experience and like I said, it was great. There's a few members that I know of on this board that did it too.

This is off the top of my head but when I was with Residence Students' Association, there was about 20-30% Calgarians who lived in rez. It's more common than you think.

It also broke my ties with highschool friends and made new ones.
    you can easily do this without pissing away money in residence. i've done it and most people at university do it.

hahah sick signature

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

I was thinking about becoming a lawyer, but I'm not 100% sure about that either. In reality I'm going to be taking one more year off before I go to University. When I go to university in the Fall of 2011 I'll be 19, turning 20 in November.

Any of you guys go to school at 20+?
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    LCI E90 :-)

I stayed home and saved a lot (helped me in buying a car and DP for a new house), a year after graduation.

My Ride

More

But honestly, i partied A LOT of money away in the past 4 years. I don't really regret it though. I just wish i could go back and do it in a different place/setting haha, like said, out of my comfort zone. Lifes too easy in calgary when you know everyone and everything

Im from edmonton and going to mount royal university, living in residence.
    Kinda regret it, i have a nice heated garage at home in edmonton, cant work on my car here, buddies at home, WAAY cheaper, free food etc, dont have to pay for stuff.
    Idk, its fun, for a while, but you get bored if theres nothing to do... and sit on beyond all day.
    Originally posted by Gabe182

We need nips! and they better not be huge!

Stayed in calgary, totally regret it.

My Ride

Originally posted by aristocrat
    Kinda regret it, i have a nice heated garage at home in edmonton, cant work on my car here, buddies at home, WAAY cheaper, free food etc, dont have to pay for stuff.
    Idk, its fun, for a while, but you get bored if theres nothing to do... and sit on beyond all day.
    This isn't a shot at you by any means, but maybe you need to try being more social!?

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Originally posted by aristocrat
    I've got friends who live in res @ MRU. I dont know where you are but there always seems to be something going on when I go there.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3