Quantcast
Telus Optik Television - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Telus Optik Television

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default Telus Optik Television

Has anyone used Telus' Optik Television service? I'm moving into a condo in a couple months and unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll be able to get satellite because I'm not facing the right direction so my choices are just Shaw and Telus (unless Bell has a non-satellite service I'm not aware of).

I looked at Shaw's packages and they're a little more than what I'm wanting to spend considering I watch very little television. All I really want is my hockey and a few other channels in HD and I'm a happy camper and with Telus' packages it looks like I'm able to get what I want at a pretty reasonable cost.

http://www.telus.com/content/tv/iptv...ming/index.jsp

Just wondering if anyone's used it and has comments on the quality of it. From what I've read, it's just their old service with a rebranded name though I haven't verified that yet (it may have been their internet service it was referring to).

My Ride
    Bicycle

It is their old service with rebranded name. It's still uses DSL for majority of areas unless you are the lucky few with fiber pulled into your home.

I spend about 2hr in front of their PVR and I can tell you that it is the best in town right in term of usability and interface. Feels almost like a mini-Windows Media Center. Quality is ok coming from a DSL line but it's a shitty TV so I can't really tell. Their PVR also has built in PIP.

Much improved over Telus TV and with the old brand got such negative review, I don't blame them for the rebranding.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Yeah i was doing more reading up on it this morning and so far people seem pretty happy with it for the most part. It sounds like a big plus that Telus has is the interface (Microsoft Mediaroom), which is what most people complain about Shaw.

PVRing three shows at once is something that could come in real handy even if it's just two HD and one SD, as well as the remote PVRing that they are promising.

Some reviews I've read:
    http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=125345
    http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=125286
    http://www.justbroadband.org/forum/r...on-Telus-Optik
    http://www.digitalhome.ca/2010/02/te...-iptv-service/

Maybe I'll have to pop into a Telus store and see if they have something to demo.

I've been on the new Telus service since April. I love it compared to Shaw. The biggest features, PVR anywhere, the PVR also responds much faster than Shaws and is built on the Media Center platform. Customizable guide to hide channels that I don't subscribe to. I haven't noticed any quality differences in my HD content, but I'm no videophile. The value is there as I got in on the initial promo and have discounted service for a year, but even after that I'll be paying $20 less per month and get more channels than I had with a similar shaw offering. I was an alpha and beta tester with the original Telus TV, and even with the employee discount I dropped it since the service sucked ass. I really have no complaints about the new service at all.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    R50

Been on it for a few months and no complains at all. Video quality is comparable to satellite (I used to have Shaw Direct), menu is fast and clean, and having TV and internet running at the same time doesn't cause any significant slowdowns. If you can get the $0 Essentials package for the first year and free pvr rental for the term, you can't go wrong!

Here're some tests I did a when I first got it.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...11#post3277552

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by lint
    I've been on the new Telus service since April. I love it compared to Shaw. The biggest features, PVR anywhere, the PVR also responds much faster than Shaws and is built on the Media Center platform. Customizable guide to hide channels that I don't subscribe to. I haven't noticed any quality differences in my HD content, but I'm no videophile. The value is there as I got in on the initial promo and have discounted service for a year, but even after that I'll be paying $20 less per month and get more channels than I had with a similar shaw offering. I was an alpha and beta tester with the original Telus TV, and even with the employee discount I dropped it since the service sucked ass. I really have no complaints about the new service at all.
    Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I'm not a videophile either so it's unlikely I'll notice the little differences either. As long as it looks good for the most part, i'm satisfied. I think the only thing I'm really hesitant with is Telus' shitty customer service! Even if I pull the trigger on Telus, I'll be reluctant to sign a contract just to save a few bucks.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by cdnsir
    Been on it for a few months and no complains at all. Video quality is comparable to satellite (I used to have Shaw Direct), menu is fast and clean, and having TV and internet running at the same time doesn't cause any significant slowdowns. If you can get the $0 Essentials package for the first year and free pvr rental for the term, you can't go wrong!

Here're some tests I did a when I first got it.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...11#post3277552
    Awesome review! Yeah I was searching earlier but I guess they weren't using the Optik name yet. Shit, I better check to see if my condo has optic fibre running through it! Haha! One of the threads I came across said someone got a free laptop for signing up. I better get one if I sign up! haha

My Ride
    05 Civic

I'm also interested in getting optik tv and thought asking a few questions might help some others. In order to view the PVR recordigns on other TV's will you need to rent anything other than the PVR? And does anybody know if Telus offers student pricing like shaw?

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I'm not a videophile either so it's unlikely I'll notice the little differences either. As long as it looks good for the most part, i'm satisfied. I think the only thing I'm really hesitant with is Telus' shitty customer service! Even if I pull the trigger on Telus, I'll be reluctant to sign a contract just to save a few bucks.
    Telus CS hasn't really improved, but you can tell they have a mandate for the new service after the crap that was Telus Tv. Also, I've found calling in to be hit or miss on service, pricing, etc, things are new and still changing, so not everyone is up to speed. So best thing to do is call in again and get another rep. When you find one that is knowledgeable, they make things go really smoothly.
    heloc that shit

Originally posted by -relk-
    I'm also interested in getting optik tv and thought asking a few questions might help some others. In order to view the PVR recordigns on other TV's will you need to rent anything other than the PVR? And does anybody know if Telus offers student pricing like shaw?
    You need a STB for every other TV you want to watch on.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    05 Civic

Originally posted by lint

You need a STB for every other TV you want to watch on.
    Does that cost any more money to rent per month?

rentals are $15 for a pvr, $10 for a reg STB I believe
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    R50

Just got a letter from them last night. Although I'm not quite sure why they even sent me a letter when I'm already a customer???

Anyway, for those looking for a deal on Optik. They replaced their $0 (TV, Internet, Phone) for the first 3 months with a hotter offer. It's now TV/Internet/Phone at $10 each per month, for the first 12 months. $30 bucks for everything is a hell lot better than what I pay right now!

At the bottom, it said to call 1-800-661-2200 using offer code PSC30. It doesn't look like a unique code, so feel free to exploit it. Enjoy!

My Ride
    Civic CX, Mazda Protege

Originally posted by cdnsir
    Just got a letter from them last night. Although I'm not quite sure why they even sent me a letter when I'm already a customer???

Anyway, for those looking for a deal on Optik. They replaced their $0 (TV, Internet, Phone) for the first 3 months with a hotter offer. It's now TV/Internet/Phone at $10 each per month, for the first 12 months. $30 bucks for everything is a hell lot better than what I pay right now!

At the bottom, it said to call 1-800-661-2200 using offer code PSC30. It doesn't look like a unique code, so feel free to exploit it. Enjoy!
    is this on contract?

My Ride
    XT6

Any updates on this?

I'm currently paying $125/month with shaw for extreme internet and cable (HD plus - no movie channels). I want to switch Telus, but have not heard all that much about it.

My Ride
    R50

Yeah the catch is you need to sign for 3 years. But the positive side is that you'll get free rental and free replacements on the HD box and the wireless modem/router during that time. It saves us $ on the actual out of pocket hardware cost at least. Oh it also said you don't have to take all 3 products. If you take 2 only, you'll get $10/mth for first 6 months on those 2.

On a related note. Shaw sent me a letter yesterday as well! They have TV at 39.95 (6 months), Internet at 19.95 (3 months), and Phone at 14.95 (3 months). So I guess in exchange for higher prices, you won't have to worry about contracts. Their promo code is 405.

Funny to see how all these guys are going right at it. Lower prices for all, yay!

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Shitty deal. One thing I won't do with Telus is sign a long term contract with them, especially since they're notoriously known for shitty service.

Shitty deal. One thing I won't do with Telus is sign a long term contract with them, especially since they're notoriously known for shitty service.
    +1. That was the same offer they had when they launched with no contract restrictions. The contract was for the rental of the pvr only. And their service is still shitty, I've had to call in multiple times per problem to get a rep that knows what they're doing.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Since you brought it up, what sort of problems did you experience?

Since you brought it up, what sort of problems did you experience?
    Initially internet speeds weren't what they were supposed to be. There was confusing from the reps as to what the capped turbo internet was supposed to be running at with no tvs going. Had to call a couple of times for them to get that resolved. I had billing problems, bought my pvr and stb, but was charged incorrectly and took a couple of calls to resolve that. Had some confusion around what channels I have in my package since I was an early customer and they already changed packages with the rebrand to Optik. The billing is really confusing with grandfathered credits etc.

If I problem now, I fully expect it will take two calls to get things resolved.
    heloc that shit

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast