Quantcast
Reputable freight companies - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Reputable freight companies

Default Reputable freight companies

I need to ship my toolbox from Texas to Calgary, and was just wondering what shipping/freight companies you guys use. I'm sure you use them for cars, but this is essentially the same since it's a 900 pound toolbox. I've called around and gotten quotes from lots of places, and so far the best method is to ship to Sweetgrass, Montana, and pick it up myself from there. Cheapest quote I got was a thousand bucks. Thanks in advance.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

After dealing with many shipping companies I can tell you that there is no such thing as a reputable shipping company. However if you must use one just pick one that doesn't have its head office in Quebec.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

Just curious, what shipping companies are these? The box will be locked and covered and inventory will be taken, so other than mishandling it or just dropping it completely, I'm not too worried. I'm sure there is some sort of insurance too. I just think there would be some better prices out there since shipping a car is less than a thousand bucks. I also want to make sure that the 3 hour drive to montana is the shortest/best route.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Dont use Buffalo transport, thats all I have to say, and get insurance. We've shipped a few things that were absolutely destroyed. Manatoulin isn't bad, Id give them a shot.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Originally posted by rotten42
    After dealing with many shipping companies I can tell you that there is no such thing as a reputable shipping company. However if you must use one just pick one that doesn't have its head office in Quebec.
    ^^ This, bang on.

They all suck. Over insure the box to cover your costs and expenses, there is a good chance any company will have a problem with it, just pick who you think will do a good job and get extra insurance to cover all possible expenses.

Alright sounds good thanks for the advice. Now my only problem is finding out how to get the box from customs back to calgary. I guess U-haul or flatbed tow truck?

Thanks Graham, I called manitoulin and they only work within Canada, but they referred me to YRC and they'll pick up the box from my shop, drop it off to my residence in Calgary, and offer free $20,000 insurance for 900 bucks. Not bad, I'll keep calling around and see if anyone does it cheaper.
    Close thread.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Cheap isn't always best.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

Yeah but with most of these companies, everybody's doing price matches. Plus I've shipped cars to the border before and it was cheaper than 900 bucks, so it's not like I'm passing up a smoking deal.