Quantcast
Use your Xbox 360 on TELUS's Optik TV! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Use your Xbox 360 on TELUS's Optik TV!

My Ride
    R50

Cool Use your Xbox 360 on TELUS's Optik TV!

YES!!! It finally happened! We can now use our xboxes as set top boxes for Optik TV!!! No need for me to rent an extra one through them anymore, we can just use our own 360's! Whoohooo! I have no idea how this will/how well it works, but I'm gonna try it as soon as I get home.

SOURCE: http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../04/c8186.html

TELUS customers first in North America to use their Xbox 360 as digital television box with Optik TV

TELUS and Microsoft to bring premier entertainment experience with Xbox 360

VANCOUVER, Aug. 4 /CNW/ - Available beginning today, TELUS and Microsoft are bringing a North American premiere to Canadian homes, enabling the Xbox 360 to directly access TELUS' Optik TV service.

The Xbox 360 is a first-class home entertainment and gaming system that Optik TV customers can now use as a digital set top box to enable PVR Anywhere features, such as scheduling the recording of up to three shows simultaneously on one PVR unit. The Microsoft Mediaroom software that powers Optik TV now also supports delivery of Optik TV to the Xbox 360 to provide great functionality for watching television anywhere in the home, as well as all the gaming benefits customers already know.

"We are blazing a trail as the first provider in North America to offer this innovative capability with Xbox 360 and Optik TV. The integration of the Optik TV service, powered by Microsoft Mediaroom, with the Xbox 360 will deliver increased flexibility and enhance our customers' entertainment experience," said TELUS President and CEO Darren Entwistle. "We continue to offer the latest and greatest technologies available for home entertainment systems through this industry-leading capability that Canadians are receiving first."

With this announcement, all the features of TELUS' popular Optik TV service now become available directly via the Xbox 360 console. This means that customers of Optik TV can use an Xbox 360 as a digital set top box to:

- Watch any of Optik TV's over 400 digital channels, including over 50
    in HD;
    - Watch any shows they have recorded on their Optik HD PVR digital box;
    - Use PVR Anywhere to record up to 3 live shows simultaneously from any
    room
    - Pause a recorded program in one room and pick it up from the same spot
    in a different room
    - Get PVR functionality from any TV when watching recorded programs -
    Pause, replay, rewind, fast-forward.

"With Microsoft Mediaroom, the Xbox 360 offers an unmatched entertainment experience for the entire family - and one that today gets even better for Optik TV customers," said Greg Barber, Senior Director, Home Entertainment and Devices, Microsoft Canada. "By providing easy access to Optik TV directly via the Xbox 360, TELUS is uniting the best in TV with the best in gaming to raise the bar in Canada for in-home entertainment."

With the Xbox 360 console, Optik TV now delivers the ultimate integration of gaming and entertainment on one platform. In addition to being able to watch recorded shows and schedule recordings, subscribers can also use the Xbox 360 console to access digital photos and digital music libraries on the TV via their home wireless network and connected Windows PC.

TELUS recently began offering Optik TV, which offers never-before-seen functionality and features over 400 channels, including over 50 in High Definition (HD). Optik TV features the best PVR experience with PVR Anywhere, only from TELUS in Western Canada. Now one PVR is all clients need to watch and record shows on any TV in the home with a digital box, record up to three shows at once, or pause a program in one room and pick it up from the same spot in another room. Optik TV also offers Picture-in-Picture browsing, onscreen Call Display, HD Video On Demand and HD Pay Per View, so clients can order movies and live events from the comfort of their couch.

TELUS is currently offering a free Xbox 360 for clients who subscribe to High Speed Internet on a two year term. For clients who take advantage of this offer, they will experience TELUS' impressive High Speed Internet with built-in home Wi-Fi, as well as benefit from a free Xbox to use as a digital set top box with Optik TV.

Customers with an Xbox 360 can now subscribe to Optik TV by visiting TELUS.com/optiktv and turn their gaming platform into a set top box.

http://www.telus.com/content/tv/iptv...m/hardware.jsp

have to pay a $5/month service fee.

also from the above link:

Existing Optik TV clients wanting to add or change an existing digital box, including connecting an Xbox 360, will require a TELUS technician visit to connect the new hardware. An $100 fee applies. Please call TELUS at 310-MYTV (6988) to schedule an appointment.

Talk about nickle and diming

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

Hmmm... If I can get this for free I will need to buy a new xbox to replace my broken one.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

i was excited for this, until i saw the nickle and diming, then i shook my head and remembered it was telus... i can wait for shaw to release something similar..
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Why the fuck does a Telus Tech need to touch my 360?

What's he gonna do, unplug and plug in my CAT5?

Just let me know where to download the app and off I go. Glad they do it but they are doing it wrong. Plus $5/mth is lame.

All I can say is that it's a little too late. I don't watch TV other than sports anyway.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-04-2010 at 07:56 PM.

It wouldn't be Telus without an extra fee or two tacked on. What a joke.

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

Originally posted by dbl0svn
    Only problem is that it is a Telus service.
    Exactly. Sounds like a really cool service until they start fucking you around.

My Ride
    R50

Well, the 360 won't detect shit all... Did some research and like you guys said, they have to send a tech to come over and put in an install disc into my 360. Are you kidding me!? Just tell me where to download it, I don't need their 'professionals' to put in a disc and hit A for me! Screw that!

The $5/mth though I'm actually ok with. It's $10 to rent a box from them so I'm saving half already. And for all we know, MS is probably demanding a 50% cut on this fee so whatever. I'm gonna wait a bit to see some feedback on whether it's simply gonna be a media client, or can it even use the xbox hdd to record stuff.
    Last edited by cdnsir; 08-04-2010 at 09:56 PM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

So what's a top box? Just another name for a receiver? So what they're saying is instead of buying or renting one of their receiver/PVRs, I could just use an xbox 360 to do the same thing (provided I get the software)?

Edit: found some more info on it that may interest you guys
    http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...56&postcount=7

My Ride
    R50

Just when they pissed me off with the stupid xbox install crap, they release remote recording! They better not put a charge fee on this though. If I have to pay extra for this, I'll seriously be pissed!!!

SOURCE: http://telus.com/content/tv/iptv/sys..._recording.jsp

Remote Recording Available August 6, 2010

Optik™ TV Remote Recording allows you to schedule and manage your HD PVR recordings* from the internet, or your iPhone/iPod touch®. You’ll never miss your favourite programs again.

* Quickly record any program you want on the go.
    * Customized Guide displays only the channels you are subscribed to.
    * View full program and cast information.
    * Search by program title, actors, new programs and/or HD programs.
    * View your scheduled recordings and what you have already recorded.
    * Set priority for scheduled recordings or delete exiting recorded programs.

Compatible devices: iPhone® and iPod touch®. The Remote Recording application will soon be available on additional smartphone platforms, including BlackBerry.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by Benny

Exactly. Sounds like a really cool service until they start fucking you around.
    Nevermind that you only have tv as long as your Xbox works. Xbox + Telus = not exactly a reliable partnership.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by cdnsir
    Just when they pissed me off with the stupid xbox install crap, they release remote recording! They better not put a charge fee on this though. If I have to pay extra for this, I'll seriously be pissed!!!

http://tvonline.bell.ca/tvonline/ser...&processid=201

Bell had this for a while. These 2 finally surpass Shaw in technology. I wonder if Shaw will sit idle and fall behind while it concentrate to fight in the wireless realm.

How are people finding optik?

I got a couple of pretty sweet looking offers to switch.

If you sign for three years you get a free pvr rental for three years, the new 360 and $90/month for a decent cable package, internet and phone with cid.

And they will charge $30/mth for all of the above the first year.

My Ride
    changes every year

i have optik with the xbox as my 2nd receiver and i think it works fuckin awesome. plus is a 250 gb slim so its even better. i like it and i think its worth the extra.