Quantcast
DoJ subpoenas Twitter for WikiLeaks supporters data, Twitter tells DoJ to shove it - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DoJ subpoenas Twitter for WikiLeaks supporters data, Twitter tells DoJ to shove it

Originally posted by kenny
    What if the people that sent this information to Wikileaks sent it directly to the NY Times? Would that change anything?
    Sure it would because it's not being a reporter to just plaster the articles all over the net. You don't see many papers which just reprint boring articles now do you? It also means that the paper is accountable for it's actions and impartiality. The papers can discuss classified information without fear of repercussion as long as they do not place anyones lives in danger. There is a big difference between writing an article about how gov X is doing Y which is terrible instead of having something which reads person P which lives at L did Y. You can't claim to be a news organization if all you are not doing anything that reporters actually do.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by Feruk

Wait a second. Wikileaks is a private corporation responsible to only it's own stakeholders. The United States government is an organization owned by EVERY taxpayer in the USA. Every public company in the world discloses news quarterly, so why shouldn't the biggest public company in the world (US gov't)? What's sad isn't the existance of Wikileaks, but the fact that due to a lack of disclosure by the United States, Wikileaks (or something of it's type) is actually forced to exist.

Also, everyone keeps talking about the "people who have been killed as a result of their careless handling of information." Proof? I've never seen it.
    I don't even know how to respond to that. Wikileaks wasn't responsible with the information they had, why can't you accept that? Are you just savagely thirsty for techno-marxism that anything challenging western conservatism can do no wrong in your mind? Clinging to western defeatism might make you sound like you're compassionate to those people in Arab regions who are viciously assaulted by America, but it's nearly self-defeating.

I guess it's more than just wikileaks and the damning revelations therein, it's more than hating on the war in Iraq, it seems that people just wholly detest our way of life to the point where there's no appreciation for what they have. I hate to throw back to what is often perceived as a redneck statement, but if you don't like western living and you're unable to change it, either learn to appreciate it, or get out.

I'm disappointed that Jimmy Burner isn't around anymore. I'd enjoy a discussion with him on why he's so defensive of the politics in his homeland, and further discussion on how he believes European whites didn't turn Canada into a developed nation, the whole "yall white people didn't do shit". Maybe him and Turbotrip want to talk about it over coffee.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

Wikileaks. Shocking, revealing and insightful information to people without an internet connection. I don’t know anybody that is surprised at anything wikileaks has so far revealed. The US spies, the US coerces, the US manipulates, the US covers up, African dictators are corrupt, Dick Cheney bribed people for contracts. Wow. The world is fucked and controlled by psychopathic mad men. And? News at 11? And CUG, your love it or leave it comment. Ok, go where? Mars? Really though, all this hoopla over nothing. I’m starting to believe this whole wikileaks is an inside job crap because honestly it’s accomplishing nothing but getting government talking about more police state type security and regulations. Wikileaks…. mission accomplished. Here’s your book deal Mr. Assange
    Last edited by BigMass; 01-10-2011 at 04:19 PM.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

If they (US Gov) want to avoid embarrassment, they shouldn't shut down freedom of information. They should stop acting embarrassingly.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by zipdoa
    If they (US Gov) want to avoid embarrassment, they shouldn't shut down freedom of information. They should stop acting embarrassingly.
    Zip-bro-a, I agree sort of, but only if that applies equally to every nation, not just the US

My Ride
    //M

I don't get the anti-US rhetoric. What other country is as open as free, and stands for freedom and democracy in the world? Let's pick on other countries, instead of bashing the country where we get all of our media, entertainment, cars, and even food from.
    Destroying anti-US trolls and idiots like broken_legs since 2009.
    Dallas, Texas

Originally posted by 911fever
    I don't get the anti-US rhetoric. What other country is as open as free, and stands for freedom and democracy in the world? Let's pick on other countries, instead of bashing the country where we get all of our media, entertainment, cars, and even food from.
    I can’t tell if you’re trying to be funny or serious

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by 911fever

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    You Crazy

Just a reminder for those whom worship GWB how BRAINDEAD fucking stupid they are for doing so.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e19c54c455

From "Osama, wanted dead or alive", to "im not worried about him" to feigning alzheimers...

Fucking douchebag war criminal.

Also, a reminder that 9-11 was an inside job.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...7864007973679#

Originally posted by Toma
    Just a reminder for those whom worship GWB how BRAINDEAD fucking stupid they are for doing so.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e19c54c455

From "Osama, wanted dead or alive", to "im not worried about him" to feigning alzheimers...

Fucking douchebag war criminal.

Also, a reminder that 9-11 was an inside job.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...7864007973679#
    I think it’s a curse upon adults that every ten years or so we have to inform a new batch of dumb ass kids going through the brain washing public school system about the reality of history. It’s almost hard to believe that 18 year old voting adults were just 9 years old when 9/11 happened with no real understanding or context behind the events of that day and the world we now live in due to those events.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

You're forgetting about his interview with CNN (I think) where he said history will understand and favor him.

I agree that North America is better than anywhere else in the world, it's the reason we've become so diverse; the people who moved here tend to agree, or they probably wouldn't move here. Yeah, too many cheeseburgers, but whatever.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by CUG
    I don't even know how to respond to that. Wikileaks wasn't responsible with the information they had, why can't you accept that? Are you just savagely thirsty for techno-marxism that anything challenging western conservatism can do no wrong in your mind? Clinging to western defeatism might make you sound like you're compassionate to those people in Arab regions who are viciously assaulted by America, but it's nearly self-defeating.

I guess it's more than just wikileaks and the damning revelations therein, it's more than hating on the war in Iraq, it seems that people just wholly detest our way of life to the point where there's no appreciation for what they have. I hate to throw back to what is often perceived as a redneck statement, but if you don't like western living and you're unable to change it, either learn to appreciate it, or get out.
    Haven't heard this "if you're not with us, you're against us" bullshit since the days of GWB. Let's start at the back... People who cheer on Wikileaks don't necessairly have their hate on for the Iraq or Afghanistan wars and certainly don't want to see the USA have the same standard of life as Arab nations. Sure, a slim minority might, but that's just rhetorical nonsense.

Not sure if you're American, but Americans with that attitude are the ones who have no appreciation for what they HAD just 15 years ago. Americans now have lost their right against illegal privacy violations (illegal wire taps), their Miranda rights (Patriot Act), and now are on board for going after Wikileaks (freedom of speech). You may not agree with what they're saying, but as long as it doesn't hurt anyone (and you cannot prove it has), they should be allowed to say it; that's the FUNDAMENTAL idea of freedom of speech, and you're slapping it in the face. Take theirs away and just wait and see how long till someone tells you that you can't say something. That is why (a lot of) people support organizations like Wikileaks! All three of the above rights do not exist in Arab states, and seem to be fading in the USA. So really while you're on here talking about how great the USA is, you're too blind to see that what made it great once is slowly dissapearing.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by Feruk

Not sure if you're American, but Americans with that attitude are the ones who have no appreciation for what they HAD just 15 years ago. Americans now have lost their right against illegal privacy violations (illegal wire taps), their Miranda rights (Patriot Act), and now are on board for going after Wikileaks (freedom of speech). You may not agree with what they're saying, but as long as it doesn't hurt anyone (and you cannot prove it has)
    I get where you're going 100%. No I'm not a yank thankfully. But I have to ask, how can you prove the careless use of information hasn't resulted in harm to people? You're so sure I'm incorrect, but how? Waiting for "well it wasn't on wikileaks bro, that's the only news I trust".

I don't agree with you, and I probably won't. It's my position that Joe public doesn't need to know that diplomat A thinks that country B is poorly run. I also don't believe it's responsible to reveal foreign operatives, military strategy or things of the like, just so that people like you have something to debate on the internet.

I'm not slapping freedom in the face by not supporting wikileaks, I'm just a realist. Agreed that certain rights are fading in the US and that should be stopped, but for you to believe wikileaks is somehow symbolically fixing that, is quite curious.

I REALLY hope that the Murderers and Cowards that run the US govt get hammered in a International War Crimes Tribunal.

Will be nice to See Bush, Cheney et al get life in jail or hung for their murder of tens of thousands.

Things like wikileaks give me hope that someday these psychopaths will get what's owed to them....

and things like the Italian court conviction of the 23 CIA agents for their role in kidnapping, torture and "extraordinary renditions"

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by CUG
    I get where you're going 100%. No I'm not a yank thankfully. But I have to ask, how can you prove the careless use of information hasn't resulted in harm to people? You're so sure I'm incorrect, but how? Waiting for "well it wasn't on wikileaks bro, that's the only news I trust".

I don't agree with you, and I probably won't. It's my position that Joe public doesn't need to know that diplomat A thinks that country B is poorly run. I also don't believe it's responsible to reveal foreign operatives, military strategy or things of the like, just so that people like you have something to debate on the internet.

I'm not slapping freedom in the face by not supporting wikileaks, I'm just a realist. Agreed that certain rights are fading in the US and that should be stopped, but for you to believe wikileaks is somehow symbolically fixing that, is quite curious.
    I can't prove it hasn't hurt anyone any more then you can that it has, but that's sort of off point. I'm also in agreement that the diplomatic information wasn't really all that useful. Can't wait to see what they have on the big banks though; could be their best release.

What I'm basically advocating is that if you don't let a group like Wikileaks speak their mind, what's to stop governments from silencing other groups, and eventually everyone? If you're a fan of the concept of freedom of speech, you gotta let everyone talk, even if you think what comes out of their mouth is nonsense. It's scary that most Americans (according to a poll last month) want to see Wikileaks silenced. I can't argue that their content thus far has been all that important or meaningful, but I will always argue for their right to say it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2