Quantcast
Oilpatch faces human resources shortfall - Article - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oilpatch faces human resources shortfall - Article

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Oilpatch faces human resources shortfall - Article

Check out the article in the Herald ( Herald Article - Oilpatch Jobs )
    and the referenced report ( The Decade Ahead )
    Good time to be an engineer. Anyone not sure what to do with thier lives, get your steam ticket now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

My Ride
    03' Mazda Protege LX

I hope it's true, I'll need a job after I graduate from NAIT's instrumentation program.

If these predictions come true, you'd have to think that Calgary real estate would boom with all the hiring. 130,000 new workers would need somewhere to live, right?
    It seems to me that lots of baby boomers are retiring much later than the expected 55 or 60, and are continuing to work well into their sixties. They've been talking about all the jobs of the older generation opening up for years, but I can't say I've seen much evidence yet.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Im going back in the next few weeks myself.
    I got a few very good leads/references from a few very sought after companies, so off I go. Time to FINALLY be able to afford a house.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by Perceptionist
    If these predictions come true, you'd have to think that Calgary real estate would boom with all the hiring. 130,000 new workers would need somewhere to live, right?
    yes but; 1) only a fraction of those jobs would be in Calgary. Something like 20% I think and 2) that's the high case, it's only 40,000 jobs in the low case.

Still, I do think this will be positive for Calgary real estate, and for the salaries young energy professionals.

As to your other point about people working later, that's a real trend, but it only delays the inevitable. Besides, the recession probably hurt the savings of those people, so they need a few extra years to hit their retirement targets. They are still going to retire eventually.

I know in my company, there is a big demographic gap between about ages 50 and 30. Very few people in that age range. That may cause a leadership vacuum once the older set leaves. Anyone else seeing this at their shop?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

I know in my company, there is a big demographic gap between about ages 50 and 30. Very few people in that age range. That may cause a leadership vacuum once the older set leaves. Anyone else seeing this at their shop?
    People under 30 already know everything

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

This seems to be a recurring article. And the recurring statement is that the people most in need are folks in trades, not really the ones in professional positions.

For my sake, I hope more jobs open up. I know a number of friends at school that worked downtown for a summer term said their mentor and team were typically 40+. Personally, everyone was pretty darn close to 50.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    It has a shiny thingy on the front

Originally posted by alieno1
    I hope it's true, I'll need a job after I graduate from NAIT's instrumentation program.
    Have you considered looking for a summer job in the instrument field?

My Ride
    03' Mazda Protege LX

Originally posted by IggyB

Have you considered looking for a summer job in the instrument field?
    Hey Iggy,

I already have work lined up in an unrelated field this summer, but I'm sure next summer after I'm finished 3/4's of my schooling I'll definitely want to sign on for an internship with a company. First I gotta at least finish semester one of instrumentation. Sure looking forward to my finals in a month...NOT! It's a tough program, but I'm adapting.

Anyways time to study, take care.

As more workers are needed, and theres no one to fill them fast enough, they will offer more perks. One of which being not having to live in AB.. You'll have more and more people traveling here to work, so you can't just assume they will be living in calgary/edmonton/fort mac... Where ever...

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    As more workers are needed, and theres no one to fill them fast enough, they will offer more perks. One of which being not having to live in AB.. You'll have more and more people traveling here to work, so you can't just assume they will be living in calgary/edmonton/fort mac... Where ever...

Truth. Check the slights out of Kelowna for Ft. Mac.

Suncor was just in Kamloops running a hiring fair claiing you can still live here.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Time for all the old codgers in downtown Calgary to exercise their options and GTFO.

Like, you're a 70 year old drilling superintendent that has spent 50 years in the patch, might be about time to start living your life and hang up the boots.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

Originally posted by adamc
    Time for all the old codgers in downtown Calgary to exercise their options and GTFO.

Like, you're a 70 year old drilling superintendent that has spent 50 years in the patch, might be about time to start living your life and hang up the boots.
    So your solution for the shortage of workers, is to get rid of the senior staff ?

My Ride
    Bicycle

IMO, we are not lack of workers.

We are lack of "qualified" workers.

So many idiots that don't know shit got work during the boom that qualified people are now in short supply to fix their mistakes.

There will be shortage but not shortage of noobs.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-31-2011 at 11:40 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

It would be awesome if this translated into a housing shortage. I need to get rid of my rental property.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by SJW
    It would be awesome if this translated into a housing shortage. I need to get rid of my rental property.
    It won't. We are still urban crawling like crazy. Developer will have enough inventory to meet the needs. The boom of 05-08 was cause by industry not able to keep up with demand. Unless Mayor stops the sprawl, you won't see much price increase for old homes.

And if 05-08 does show up again, you'll be collecting mad rent $ anyway.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Originally posted by Pinner

So your solution for the shortage of workers, is to get rid of the senior staff ?
    My point is that companies need to start investing money in developing new talent. It's fucking hard to break in to certain parts of this business because the good ole boys club is still alive and well.

Paying a drilling sup 50k a month when a lot of them are just "phoning it in" is detrimental to the industry's progression. Yes these guys are highly experienced and have a lot of knowledge to pass down, but companies can't properly bring new guys up when they are continuously taking such a massive payroll hit from the old guard.

Package 'em out, rehire the best of them to work in mentor/training roles at a reduced rate, and bring some of the fresh minds in.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Also, industry has a long way to go in terms of quality of life for the people that are the heart of the oil patch, the field employee.

Particularly the drilling side, nothing has changed since the 1970s in terms of work consistency, communication from the oil companies, etc. A rig hand can drive 10 hours to location, only to be told that the oil co. has decided not to drill the next well, and he's out of pocket on the $200 in fuel he spent and a lost day of work.

There's not a clearly defined career path for a lot of the guys that choose to work in the field either. The apprenticeship program is in shambles and isn't taken seriously by anyone, there is no incentive for a guy to take time off to develop his skills. Not when he's unsure whether he has work next month.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

My point is that companies need to start investing money in developing new talent. It's fucking hard to break in to certain parts of this business because the good ole boys club is still alive and well.
    At the company I was at for the summer and fall term, the president came out and said in a town hall meeting one month after I left that "we are not a training ground." I wish I was in attendance for that one. That's probably the shortest foresight one can have.

According to all the geologist I worked with though, training isn't what it used to be because companies are getting cheaper and cheaper but expecting the same level of education or more. Even in the 80's when shit hit the fan, people were getting sent on courses, taking field and day trips, etc to ensure they did their job properly. That does still happen now to an extent, but the volume is nothing like it used to be.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by broken_legs

Truth. Check the slights out of Kelowna for Ft. Mac.

Suncor was just in Kamloops running a hiring fair claiing you can still live here.
    Yep.

Companies have no choice.

I know a guy working at Connoco SAGD and his shift is 2wk's in 2 wk's out. He lives in Montreal lol.

Get's paid McMurray money. If the marriage can handle it - FUCK YES.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast