Quantcast
breaking News About Race City - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: breaking News About Race City

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by Tomaz

That shouldn't be too difficult just outside of city limits.
    You would think that would be the case..... but it's not. Far from that.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Originally posted by 88CRX
    Who in their right mind is going to take over RC with the lease expiring at the end of this year..... why Nenshi would even suggest that clearly shows his stance on the whole situation. RC can’t stay, the City already made that decision by ending the lease agreement in an extremely shady manner a couple years back.
    What I got from the excerpt is that no one has even approached the city about extending the lease... and sounded like if someone would come up with some sort of solution the City would be all ears.
    Im not sure how Nenshi can be blamed for no one wanting to stand up and take over a business thats constantly losing money.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by R-Audi

What I got from the excerpt is that no one has even approached the city about extending the lease... and sounded like if someone would come up with some sort of solution the City would be all ears.
    Im not sure how Nenshi can be blamed for no one wanting to stand up and take over a business thats constantly losing money.
    have you looked at the construction in the area recently?

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca.../P-3247-53.pdf

then there is going to be a couple holding ponds too... one in the middle of the south end of the course... and one in the south parking lot. the city does not want anyone near them...

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Do you know anything in regards to the fight that's been going on with the city for the last 2+ years?

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by rage2
    Even if you get the land, finding investors will be problematic. You need a business plan that can prove there's a return on investment, and with racing facilities only open for 6 months of the year, that will be tough. What needs to be figured out is how to generate revenue in the winter with minimal expenditures.
    Honestly, if they had winter autocross/ice racing, I would be very inclined to go out.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

Land.

Nobody wants it in their backyard..... nobody. I believe one of the committees set up had asked the City for assistance on getting a piece of land to develop into a new facility. Didn't hear anything past that, so I'm sure I know who's court that balls in too.....
    I've said this before but if I were a certain treaty 7 nation I would extort the ring road money form the city by threatening to open a track right next to woodbine.

Other than that they have a ton of places to put a track and they would make money having one. Think gas station, liquor, etc.

Originally posted by zipdoa

Honestly, if they had winter autocross/ice racing, I would be very inclined to go out.
    There is winter autocross.

My Ride
    Silverado

Originally posted by alloroc

I've said this before but if I were a certain treaty 7 nation I would extort the ring road money form the city by threatening to open a track right next to woodbine.

Other than that they have a ton of places to put a track and they would make money having one. Think gas station, liquor, etc.
    can't sell booze on the reserve yo

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Do you know anything in regards to the fight that's been going on with the city for the last 2+ years?
    I do, but the matter of the fact still stands, no one wants to even TRY to take over a business that needs a large influx of money to operate (and upgrade) and at the same time loses money every year. If it was a profitable business there would be people bending over backwards trying to make this work.

As much as I'd love for it to stick around the truth is it was doomed long before the lease problems with the city. (For example when they lost some of the major events due to the track not being up to par)

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

Originally posted by dirtsniffer

can't sell booze on the reserve yo
    Youve been sniffing the wrong kind of dirt.
    Of course they can.

I was at a community BBQ in Rosebud, AB. And I was talking with a gentlemen who had a Murcielago and a Diablo and he was telling me there should be a high-end track opening up right outside of the town. Don't know if he was dreaming this up, but I sure did hear it and he was very serious in the discussion we had.

My Ride
    Viper baby, Ohh and an H22 CB9

thats the badlands resort they have been trying to get up and running for the past few years, if it does happen ill be there for sure to run some laps.
    Love my Viper.
    Radio controlled rock crawling. www.rc-ab.com

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Rimbey's strip should be finished next summer. Closer than Castrol and Medicine Hat by an hour and a bit.

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by racerjim
    thats the badlands resort they have been trying to get up and running for the past few years, if it does happen ill be there for sure to run some laps.
    My parents are moving to Rosebud and from anyone they talked to in the community it was not happening.

Originally posted by syritis
    what a load of BS.
    Rick Francisconie, the motorsports task force as well as the calgary motors sports association has stepped forward to take ownership.

the problem is they're taking away the land piece by piece so race city would only be left with the drag strip and the north parking lot.

just another blind statement of Nenshi passing the blame.
    I would be interested in seeing what Rick F., Calgary motorsports, etc have presented the city with. If its just a "I will take over the lease" verbal statement over the phone then no wonder Nenshi is saying what he is.

Has anyone submitted proper plans for the facility? Ie what are the 5 year plans, 10 year plans etc. Have they identified the stake holders and how they are going to mitigate issues with some of them such as noise pollution etc? How is extending the lease going to benefit the city of calgary (don't say decrease street racing, there is NO correlation between having a track and decreased street racing, you want a prime example? "save race city" night a few years ago, the industrial park was over run by street racers)

Nenshi is more intelligent than a lot of you think. He is also a business man, so if you come to him saying im going to take over the lease, that means nothing. Someone needs a long term proposal submitted to the city that the city can work with. The future plans for race city can't just be up in the air.

How come I haven't seen the document posted on beyond? seems like if you were serious about taking over the lease at race city you would have consulted the community you are trying to support to receive their input on the proposal to the city. Or have i missed some giant thread with the proposal posted?
    Last edited by J-hop; 09-07-2011 at 10:37 PM.

My Ride
    92 Civic-t, 01 VW Golf TDI

cmon... some moderator must have a large unused piece of land close to the city *cough* rage2 *cough*

Bottom line is that race city wasnt a very profitable business hence its "shithole" like condition and why the owners chose not to renew the lease and they chose to let a shitty business die... as opposed to selling the business (which im sure nobody would buy)

I would really like to know the details of the Race City lease, if its affordable, or if Nenshi and his goons jack up the rent so much that nobody wants to rent..

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by forced_eg
    cmon... some moderator must have a large unused piece of land close to the city *cough* rage2 *cough*

Bottom line is that race city wasnt a very profitable business hence its "shithole" like condition and why the owners chose not to renew the lease and they chose to let a shitty business die... as opposed to selling the business (which im sure nobody would buy)

I would really like to know the details of the Race City lease, if its affordable, or if Nenshi and his goons jack up the rent so much that nobody wants to rent..
    it's not because it was a shithole, it's because insurance is incredibly expensive, labour is expensive, and the interest just isn't there in this city, there are much smaller facilities in this province hat thrive simply because the local support is there.

Additionally when the government took away tobacco sponsorship of facilities, that's what killed any profitability... that's primarily why Ben Doctor sold the place to Art... he bailed off a sinking ship at the perfect time.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

A track can be profitable...look at MMP. And they shut down for the winter too (they're right at the foot of the mountains just like we are, so it's not much of a choice on their part) the difference is they designed their track around a modern business model. Garages to rent, huge sponsors area and corporate hospitality suites, and more importantly you can see 90% of the track from the stands.

It's unfortunate that race city has gotten to the point that it has, it used to be a modern facility...the problem is it's not worth saving at this point.

There's a lot more support behind a new track in this city than people realize, MARCS is doing a very poor job of keeping people informed of their progress, and the rest of the efforts just seem disorganized.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by forced_eg

It could be the cheapest lease in the city, and no one would want it, because as Nenshi said, it will still shut down eventually for the landfill requirements. No one wants to dump millions into a business that will guaranteed be closed in a few years.

I can see the cities side of not wanting a racetrack though. Think of all the profit from those tickets they'll be handing out to street racers!
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I can see the cities side of not wanting a racetrack though. Think of all the profit from those tickets they'll be handing out to street racers!
    i think it would be offset with the tourist revenue that having a world class venue would bring in... but calgary doesnt need more venues that attract tourists... we have stampede! 10 days a year is good enough right?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast