Quantcast
Say Goodbye to the LONG Gun Registry - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to the LONG Gun Registry

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Default Say Goodbye to the LONG Gun Registry

Bill C-19 is in it's second reading right now and expected to pass with a Conservative majority.
    http://s3.documentcloud.org/document...rearms-act.pdf

To clarify, this is only getting rid of the LONG gun registry - ie Rifles and shotguns.

Restricted firearms and handguns (which have been registered since 1933) will continue to be registered and have the same ridiculous rules applied to them.

One small step in the right direction for Canada.

Rough Interpretation stolen from CGN
    Criminal Code

You can now possess a non-restricted firearm without a registration certificate (but you still need a license)

You can borrow a non-restricted firearm without a registration certificate (but you still need a license)

You can now be in a car with a non-restricted firearm without a registration certificate (but you still need a license)

You can destroy a non-restricted firearm without reporting to police

*** You may now possess a non-restricted firearm where the serial number has been altered, defaced or removed - thought it is still an offense to deface any firearm

Removed requirement to produce registration certificate to peace officer for a non-restricted firearm

If your firearm is seized without good reason by a peace officer it must be returned within 14 days *without delay*

Firearms Act

You may now transfer a non-restricted firearm to a person who has a license without informing the Registrar, without a certificate

You can *voluntary* request from the Registrar whether the transferee is still eligible to hold the licenses, this request is NOT stored

Old system of transfer still remains for restricted and prohibited firearms

No requirement to lend the registration certificate with a non-restricted firearm (but you still need a license)

Non-residents only need to posses a temporary licenses and not a registration certificate for non-restricted firearms

Exporting a non-restricted firearm no longer requires a registration certificate

When a business exports a non-restricted firearm they no longer require a registration certificate

The Registrar is only responsible for issuing and keeping track of certificates, and transfers for prohibs and restricteds

You have the right to access your own firearms records

No longer have to produce a non-restricted firearm to any inspector without a warrant (no unwarranted search for non-restricted)

Must destroy all non-restricted records
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I like that I can get grandpa's old guns out from the crawlspace soon without the risk of losing them. I've felt like such a badass criminal for so long though, now I'll have to get my hands on some other kind of restricted firearm to maintain the thrill of it all...

But seriously, it's a great thing. I used to hate having to stop and make sure I wasn't using any of my registered firearms when I was about to kill someone, real time thief.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 10-26-2011 at 11:45 AM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    CRF 250L

I like that I can get grandpa's old guns out from the crawlspace soon without the risk of losing them. I've felt like such a badass criminal for so long though...
    y'all better put that shit in check foo! Wait until the bill passes first, yo

you can still go to jail for less than what you just wrote
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

But seriously, it's a great thing. I used to hate having to stop and make sure I wasn't using any of my registered firearms when I was about to kill someone, real time thief.
    Bad move. This will help the criminals. Now when Johnny Tran buys a Barrett 50 cal from the back of a van to blow someone’s body in half he will no longer have to register it which would have saved the life of the victim.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

You may now transfer a non-restricted firearm to a person who has a license without informing the Registrar, without a certificate

You can *voluntary* request from the Registrar whether the transferee is still eligible to hold the licenses, this request is NOT stored
    I think this was the only productive part about the registry. Making sure the license is still valid. I will still be using this feature for sure. I assume that stores/shops will be doing the same.

I'm glad that the system changed. Really, it was a waste of money. Perhaps they will be putting that coin towards something more productive!
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Originally posted by BigMass

Bad move. This will help the criminals. Now when Johnny Tran buys a Barrett 50 cal from the back of a van to blow someone’s body in half he will no longer have to register it which would have saved the life of the victim.
    Wouldn't a Barrett 50 cal still be restricted due to its high caliber?
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

Originally posted by BigMass

Originally posted by freshprince1

I think your sarcasm detector is broken.

That said, you're almost right, but the Barrett .50 calibres are prohibited firearms, because they are specifically listed as such in the regulations:

PART 1
    PROHIBITED FIREARMS
    10. The firearms of the designs commonly known as the Barrett “Light Fifty” Model 82A1 rifle and the Barrett Model 90 rifle, and any variants or modified versions of them.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

In order not to run afoul of the firearms legistlation, I usualll buy lower calibre arms from the back of the van. The 0.50 is a risky choice.

As a general rule of thum, I try to buy "gently used" police firearms, since it makes sense that anything to do with police is "most legal"

Can't be too careful.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

My Ride
    2010 Camaro

Originally posted by freshprince1

No it is an unrestricted firearm.
    Anything that is generally a single bolt action rifle (yes including a barret 50cal or an AI AWP/AWM ) is usually non-restricted.

Restricted : you need a membership at a gun range to buy the fire arm. You need a special transport permit.

Non-restricted: You don't need a membership at a gun range to purchase it. With the new law, you do not need a permit to transport it either.

But with all guns, you must pass the CFSC course and then gain your necessary Possession and Acquisition License (PAL) which goes through police checks and what not.

I'll give you guys a quick example...
    When they enacted the new registry, they took all the "scary" looking guns and made them restricted.
    But great example of how dumb the RCMP truly is. The ACR is a new gun, but its far superior to the M16 in almost everyway (you can fold the stock and put on a short barrel).
    Yet it is non-restricted.

The following is not restricted so long as it has the long barrel attached.

The following is restricted because the RCMP figured it looks scary and what not. As I recall, it's quoted "Any variant of the Colt M4/M16 blah blah blah is restricted".

Also the majority of the guns in involved in violent crimes here are stolen from police or illegally smuggled from the USA. As a gun owner, I would not be so retarded to let some asshole steal my guns and use them, since the serial#'s are all registered under my name. Also to fire any of the guns at the range, they always inspect your hardware. You're gonna get a facefull of crap bringing in a bunch of guns without locks, etc.

Yes I know robbers could still break into the house and jack shit, but guns get stolen from police as well. That...you can't really stop.

Hopefully all this legislation can be sorted out and firearm enthusiasts are no longer treated like criminals.

It's kind of funny, I remember talking to a farmer over a decade ago about increasing control over firearms. Back then he sounded like a conspiracy-theory crackpot (he even had a Sarah Connor-esque penchant for stockpiling guns ). Turns out that he was partially right about a government crackdown, but in the end he still wins; those undisclosed firearms still remain his property.
    Last edited by e31; 10-26-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-06-2019 at 04:10 PM.

My Ride
    2010 Camaro

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Good move, the registry was a wasted effort from the start.

I heard recently that if you possess more than 10 registered firearms at a given address the police can search that address without a warrant anytime they want? Is that actually true?
    Yeah, a relative of mine has had police show up to take his "now prohibited" weapons.
    This is why so many gun owners went all paranoid and shit.

I'd imagine if you owned more than 10, yah I bet they could show up and search your crap.
    Anyone with 10 guns though, probably has a membership at a gun range. I would personally store some of my guns at the range locker. I'm guessing (if this is true) police want owners to stop hording guns - making themselves a robbery hotzone.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

I heard recently that if you possess more than 10 registered firearms at a given address the police can search that address without a warrant anytime they want? Is that actually true?
    Yes. Under the current laws, the RCMP can search your home without a warrant, totally violate your privacy and freedom from search and seizure, just because you have 10 guns.

Cause, ya know, someone with 10 guns is 10 times more dangerous, because they could shoot all 10 guns at the same time (if they were an octopus with 2 extra arms)

Unfortunately, those who own Restricted firearms will still be subject to the same BS when this bill passes.

Re: .50 cal. It is not prohibited or restricted, although I believe some specific .50 cal rifles are prohibited, possibly the Barret. California made the .50 cal illegal because it "might be used by terrorists and criminals to shoot down police helicopters and airplanes". Can you imagine some gangster lugging around a 6 foot long rifle that weighs 40 lbs and using a bolt action?

Real gangsters roll with twin Desert Eagle .50 Cal handguns (also perfectly legal in Canada, but restricted)

If you happen to have $14,000, and $15 for each round burning a hole in your pocket, you can buy a .50 from the nice fellas at The Shooting Edge or Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply right hurrr in Calgary

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/index.html

No, not true if that place is a home, unless they have consent to search from the occupant.

Under the Firearms Act, an "inspector" may inspect any location where he believes, on reasonable grounds that a prohibited firearm is located or more than 10 firearms (of any kind) are located. (section 102)

If that place is a person's home, the inspector may only enter that home if they (1) have given reasonable notice of the inspection and (2) have the consent of the occupant or they have a warrant. (section 104)

My Ride
    2010 Camaro

Originally posted by broken_legs

Yes. Under the current laws, the RCMP can search your home without a warrant, totally violate your privacy and freedom from search and seizure, just because you have 10 guns.

Cause, ya know, someone with 10 guns is 10 times more dangerous, because they could shoot all 10 guns at the same time (if they were an octopus with 2 extra arms)

Unfortunately, those who own Restricted firearms will still be subject to the same BS when this bill passes.

Re: .50 cal. It is not prohibited or restricted, although I believe some specific .50 cal rifles are prohibited, possibly the Barret. California made the .50 cal illegal because it "might be used by terrorists and criminals to shoot down police helicopters and airplanes". Can you imagine some gangster lugging around a 6 foot long rifle that weighs 40 lbs and using a bolt action?

Real gangsters roll with twin Desert Eagle .50 Cal handguns (also perfectly legal in Canada, but restricted)

If you happen to have $14,000, and $15 for each round burning a hole in your pocket, you can buy a .50 from the nice fellas at The Shooting Edge or Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply right hurrr in Calgary

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/index.html

I'm almost 100% sure this was on sale at The shooting Edge and I asked, they said it was unrestricted.
    My friend has military spec snipers, they're all unrestricted I believe. Honestly the RCMP have no consistent logic on the restricted (besides pistols/handguns/compacts) rifles and sniper rifles.
    Look at my post above. I can easily de-attach the barrel to an ACR assault rifle and fold the stock...I suddenly have a piece of prohibited weaponry that can easily fit in a trench coat, etc...

And yes CS fans, that is the AI AWP/AWM.
    Maybe it's not this rifle, or maybe it was the one that canadian sniper used to kill that guy from 700M++ away. But anyways, these giant sniper rifles are the weapons that coined "Red mist" - a cloud of blood .

Last edited by magicalpoop; 10-26-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Originally posted by magicalpoop
    I'll give you guys a quick example...
    When they enacted the new registry, they took all the "scary" looking guns and made them restricted.
    But great example of how dumb the RCMP truly is. The ACR is a new gun, but its far superior to the M16 in almost everyway (you can fold the stock and put on a short barrel).
    Yet it is non-restricted.

The following is not restricted so long as it has the long barrel attached.
    Well, it looks like the Bushmaster ACR should be considered a restricted firearm in Canada.

According to Remington's website, its barrel length is up to 18 inches which translates to 457mm, but I see on some Canadian websites that what they are getting is the 16.5" barrel version. If it is the 16.5" barrel, that's 420mm.

The Criminal Code says that any non-prohibited firearm with a barrel less than 470mm in length is a restricted firearm. (check the definition of "restricted firearm" in section 84 of the Code).

My Ride
    335i

Perfect timing. Just got my unrestricted license yesterday
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Originally posted by dexlargo
    Well, it looks like the Bushmaster ACR should be considered a restricted firearm in Canada.

According to Remington's website, its barrel length is up to 18 inches which translates to 457mm, but I see on some Canadian websites that what they are getting is the 16.5" barrel version. If it is the 16.5" barrel, that's 420mm.

The Criminal Code says that any non-prohibited firearm with a barrel less than 470mm in length is a restricted firearm. (check the definition of "restricted firearm" in section 84 of the Code).

There is a barrel you can buy that is longer. It becomes non-restricted then. You can do the same thing to the Beretta Storm.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Perfect timing. Just got my unrestricted license yesterday
    What are you looking to pick up? My RPAL was approved and passed a few days ago and will be here in a week or so.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    335i

Not sure yet, but I've scheduled the instructor for the restricted in the next couple weeks so I'm going to wait until then before buying anything.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast