Quantcast
coilovers in the winter - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: coilovers in the winter

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default coilovers in the winter

how are coilovers in the winter? i dont plan on adjusting them in the middle of winter, so is it still a bad thing to roll on coilovers in the winter? i was thinking itd be ok as long as i spray them down every time i wash the car.

waa?

My Ride
    2000 civic SIR

I never had a problem with mine .. just make sure you keep them as clean as possible .. OR give them a good cleaning after winter .. especially if you will be adjusting them.

The only thing I would be worried about is the threads getting all gummed up .. just use a wire brush and toothbrush in spring and they will be fine ..
    Last edited by itsalebaron; 02-09-2004 at 12:46 AM.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

i've heard nothing but crap about them seizing up dont know if there just slakers that never maintain them or not

My Ride
    MDX

Default Re: coilovers in the winter

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    how are coilovers in the winter? i dont plan on adjusting them in the middle of winter, so is it still a bad thing to roll on coilovers in the winter? i was thinking itd be ok as long as i spray them down every time i wash the car.

waa?
    I'll let you know this spring, this is the first year with my tanabe's.....we'll see if they sieze up or not

My Ride
    dog sled

mine seized, and the paint came off the springs, so they are all rusty now, I have about an inch of clearence in the winter.

probly best idea would be to get some nice ones, and keep them clean, along with maybe spraying them down all the time with WD40 or another rust inhibitor,

^ what kind are you using

My Ride
    STI

When the coil seizes you just need clean them real well, WD 40 , then grab your keys and have a buddy hit one with a hammer while you hold the other key or hit your key with a hammer too. The sudden impact with break the thread lose. NEver had a problem with mine! cars just a bit to low in the winter. Anyone with a lowered car should get a tax break for clearing the roads off

My Ride
    dog sled

Originally posted by ^SkylinE^
    When the coil seizes you just need clean them real well, WD 40 , then grab your keys and have a buddy hit one with a hammer while you hold the other key or hit your key with a hammer too. The sudden impact with break the thread lose. NEver had a problem with mine! cars just a bit to low in the winter. Anyone with a lowered car should get a tax break for clearing the roads off
    Thank you very much, your right, That is the common method for releasing stuck coil overs. Although I have tried it, and I've even used a air chisel to try and brake them loose, they still wont budge.
    Last edited by angierideswitme; 02-10-2004 at 01:07 PM.

Originally posted by angierideswitme

Thanks TIPS! you think I haven't already tried that? I've even tried an air hammer on them.

o yeah, and they are Skunk 2 coil overs
    you know for a newbie your pretty lippy. Members are trying to help and you respond by being sarcastic. Next time I'm gonna ban you.

My Ride
    a wrx.

hmmm so i guess consensus is that keep them clean, dont be an idiot 16 year old named angierideswitme, and the coilovers wont sieze up? alright good stuff!

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

What kind of coilovers do ppl recommend? i'm looking at skunk2s and maybe groundcontrols. Any experiences?? Compatibility in the winter is a must for me..
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    dog sled

My skunk2s seized up. they are cheap and the "chrome" is peeling off them. this is after 2 winters.

My Ride
    VSM EJ8

^^ my skunk2's werent cheap and they are fine!

oh and i have coils on my car right now...they're not stiff at all and way better then the stock springs..by the way i'm using Dropzones you can pick up a set of these bad boys at Custom Auto...by far the best item for my car.

heres something helpful...
    http://www.danmarx.org/civic/drop.html

My Ride
    2 RWD Turbo Cars

Right now Im riding on Tom Motorsport and they havent seized, but the threads on the sleeve get clogged with dirt. But WD40 can get the threads sliding again.

pressure washer should get the dirts out of the sleeves ...Hey pulse_crx how much did you lower your ef and do you use a camber kit?

My Ride
    Denali

i have had mine in for 3 winters now and haven't had a problem, but i guess i will see if this winter took a toll on them...