Quantcast
B.C. say No to Northern Gateway Pipeline - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: B.C. say No to Northern Gateway Pipeline

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Default B.C. say No to Northern Gateway Pipeline

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle12288098/

British Columbia has formally rejected Enbridge Inc.’s proposed Northern Gateway pipeline to the West Coast from Alberta, saying the company has failed to adequately explain how to deal with a major heavy oil spill on land or in coastal waters.

In its final written response to the federal panel that has been conducting hearings for the past 17 months, the B.C. government said it cannot support the $6-billion project as currently presented because its concerns over potential environmental damage, and Enbridge’s ability to respond to disasters, have not been addressed. However, the B.C. government says it is possible – though unlikely – that Enbridge can win it over.

ENERGY
    Video: Canada's pipelines: Beyond Gateway and Keystone
    Still, the thumbs-down is a blow to Enbridge and the Alberta-based oil patch, which is pushing intensively for increased oil exports. It shows the re-election of Premier Christy Clark’s B.C. Liberals this month did not soften the government’s opposition to the project, which is aimed at opening up lucrative new Asian markets for Alberta’s growing volumes of oil sands crude – and helping reduce the deep discounts on the province’s oil in North American markets.

B.C. joins a host of opponents to the 1,177-kilometre pipeline to Kitimat, B.C., from Bruderheim, Alta., including environmental groups and First Nations communities that warn of ecological risks. It does not have veto power over what would be a federally regulated project but its opinions carry much weight in the Joint Review Panel’s deliberations, said Michal Moore, an economics professor at the University of Calgary and a former energy regulator.

“I would think that when they play a card like that, when they don’t have direct control over the decision, that card is meant to be a place marker that says, ‘This issue is really important to us and we want to make sure that you take it very seriously,’” Mr. Moore said. “It’s the moral equivalent of throwing down a gauntlet, ‘that you better address our concerns in your decision, no matter what the decision is.’”

The B.C. government had already laid down five conditions it said would have to be met before it would consider supporting the 525,000-barrel-a-day pipeline, or any others that would carry heavy oil across its rugged, mountainous territory.

They include spill-readiness provisions for land and for water, successful completion of regulatory processes, successful dealings on First Nations legal and treaty rights and a demand for a “fair share” of fiscal and economic benefits.

“We have some real concerns and we’ve been working on this file for a year and a half,” B.C. Environment Minister Terry Lake said in an interview. “At the end of the day, we’ve summarized all of the concerns. This isn’t the final say in terms of the British Columbia position, but it certainly indicates that it is a very, very tall order for us to be supporting this.”

The government noted in its submission to the Joint Review Panel that Enbridge has testified it will effectively clean up all spills on land, and has committed to responding to a marine leak of up to 32,000 tons of oil in six to 12 hours. The company has said it could recover that amount within 10 days.

But the government said it is not clear from the evidence how Enbridge could guarantee such response. “’Trust me’ is not good enough in this case,” it said.

John Carruthers, president of Enbridge‘s Northern Gateway Pipelines unit, said the concerns are consistent with those B.C. voiced during the hearings, and not an insurmountable hurdle. There is still room for consultation and negotiation, he said. “Now, the key is that we sit down with the province of B.C. and work with them to address their concerns,” he said. “The underlying concerns are legitimate. We’ve tabled some very significant plans over and above what’s being done today, over and above what’s required by regulation. But we do want to meet with the province of B.C. to understand if there’s anything else we can do.”

Alberta, whose economy has much riding on new routes to the Pacific for its oil sands, also said it believes an eventual agreement is possible. “This is an ongoing, federally regulated review and I expect that the concerns brought forward by the government of British Columbia will be discussed and addressed through that forum,” Alberta Environment Minister Diana McQueen said in a statement. She declined to be interviewed.

Part of B.C.’s worry rests with uncertainty about what happens to diluted bitumen if it leaks into bodies of water, as was the case in the company’s 2010 pipeline rupture in Michigan, which complicated the expensive cleanup of the Kalamazoo River system. In its submission, the B.C. government said Enbridge’s evidence on the issue during the hearings is inconsistent.

Environmental groups across North America applauded B.C.’s tough stand on the project. “The government’s detailed submission concluded clearly that Enbridge’s project as proposed isn’t worth the risk,” said Eric Swanson of the B.C.-based Dogwood Initiative.
    Last edited by sxtasy; 05-31-2013 at 06:30 PM.

My Ride
    Vmax

The city of Victoria and the Province of British Columbia are world leaders in caring for the environment.....

Almost all of Victoria’s sewage — about 1,500 liters per second — is discharged through two pipes running more than a kilometre off the city’s southern coast. Aside from a 6mm mesh that sieves out condoms, feminine products and other large particulates, the sewage is untreated.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/07...-sewage-plant/

Looks like they have a plan but it will be years until its up and running.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

lol, not sure how thats relevant when talking about Enbridge?
    Last edited by sxtasy; 05-31-2013 at 09:11 PM.

My Ride
    Vmax

The Provincial capital of the province empties its sewers into the ocean untreated. I really have a hard time believing that they hold the environment to a higher standard than Alberta.

Seems to me if the environment was number 1 in BC they may have invested in a sewage treatment plant for the Capital city in the last 100+ years?

I say time for CN to purchase some more rail cars.....

http://www.victoriasewagealliance.or...geAlliance.htm

Victoria pumps 130 million litres of raw sewage daily into waters just off Victoria’s harbour. It is pumped into our pristine ocean through two one-meter wide pipes 60 and 65 meters under the surface.

Facts

· Environment Canada has closed 60 square kilometers around the outfalls to all shellfish harvest;

· The plume from the outfalls hits the water surface under various conditions, which raises concerns for humans who are engaging in primary contact recreation in these areas (wind and kite surfers)

· Toxicity tests show that Victoria’s sewage is toxic to rainbow trout fry, water fleas, blue mussel larvae, and oyster larvae;

· Nineteen chemicals found in the sewage are found on the seafloor and exceed the Contaminated Sites Regulation. For any one exceedances a site is considered to be sufficiently contaminated to be designated as a contaminated site;

· Twenty-eight chemicals found in Victoria’s sewage are in concentrations that exceed water quality guidelines for the protection of fish and aquatic life, some exceed the guidelines by nearly 85 times;

· Toxicity tests at Macaulay Point outfall indicated exposure to sediments from this location resulted in significantly reduced survival or growth of polychaete worms and survival and normal development of blue mussel larvae; and

· No studies have been conducted in the vicinity of the two outfalls to evaluate the effects of pharmaceuticals and personal care products on aquatic organisms or aquatic-dependent wildlife.

My Ride
    Vmax

Each day, however, it uses an international waterway as a toilet for 31 million gallons of raw sewage -- enough effluent to fill 40,000 Olympic-sized swimming pools in a year.

And that's not all. According to the regional district's own monitoring figures, 5 million kilograms of oil and grease per year flow through the Clover and Macaulay Point sewage outfalls.

Port Townsend, Sequim and Port Angeles built sewage-treatment plants years ago. North of the border, an old rule has applied: Hell hath no fury like a bureaucracy defending itself.

The Capital Regional District has stalled on sewage treatment since the 1970s. An informal 1993 agreement by B.C. Premier Mike Harcourt and Gov. Mike Lowry, setting a 2008 target for treatment, was simply ignored.

Maclean's, Canada's national magazine, named Victoria as the country's worst sewage polluter.

The latest national "report card" by the Sierra Legal Defense Fund, released in 2004, found movement toward treatment by Atlantic Coast cities -- but not Victoria.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/local/conne...#ixzz2UwFwGSL4

They only thing BC can do to stop the process is to not issue building permits, which could be done federally.

BC's endorsement isn't required but it definitely would make the progress easier and look better.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Sounds like a shitty situation, but I still don't see how it has anything to do with the Northern Gateway.

I have spent lots of time in Victoria, a beautiful city, not without it's problems. As you mentioned, bureaucracy being a big one. It's like saying we shouldn't support Alberta Crude because the capital of the province is a crime ridden shithole, which most beyonders know isn't true

Originally posted by sxtasy
    Sounds like a shitty situation

Originally posted by autosm
    And that's not all. According to the regional district's own monitoring figures, 5 million kilograms of oil and grease per year flow through the Clover and Macaulay Point sewage outfalls.
    Good thing the nearest Taco bell is in Nanaimo or I'd be personally contributing another 1million kg of grease to the sewage outflow.

Its because BC knows that they will not be getting any immediate benifit off of it.

Its basically a fast track to fill the tankers for shipment to China. But what is little known is that when we pipline down to Texas, more than half of it also fills the tankers that go to China (on a much longer ship route)

It seems to be the American way to take your EBT card, get your food, resell to some other guy, and buy booze and cigs... This is no different.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 06-01-2013 at 05:37 AM.
    Cocoa $8,000 per tonne.

I wish these f'n hippies would get a life and stop cock blocking pipelines already.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by heavyfuel
    I wish these f'n hippies would get a life and stop cock blocking pipelines already.
    It's a federal decision anyways, they can just express their displeasure. One way or another, I imagine it will go through. You can't choke off another provinces economy due to your economic policies involving being a poor province due to horrendous fiscal management and being tree huggers

Sounds like the territories would be MORE than happy to have a pipeline ran through them anyways. Fuck BC. The people I know from there on facebook seem to have no fucking clue what they are talking about. When somebody campaigns against something that directly affects MY livelihood and millions of others, you can eat a dick!

My Ride
    Taco

Going north through the territories is a long way around which either has to though Alaska or into the Artic Ocean. Both bad options. Going east is easier and already about to happen.

My Ride
    G6

This is either bureaucratic nonsense or the politicians are just that stupid. I'd much rather a pipeline spill which is easy to contain vs a train derailment carrying crude.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

It's a federal decision anyways, they can just express their displeasure. One way or another, I imagine it will go through. You can't choke off another provinces economy due to your economic policies involving being a poor province due to horrendous fiscal management and being tree huggers
    I actually doubt it will happen. Sure, the feds could potentially force it through, however, Enbridge will face even greater opposition now that BC has released this statement. The Harper government can't do shit about the more than 50 different FN's lands anyways, most of whom strongly oppose the pipeline.

When somebody campaigns against something that directly affects MY livelihood and millions of others, you can eat a dick!
    Flip the coin over and you will find the same argument from some British Columbians. Are you going to be out of a job now?

My Ride
    Vmax

Yup Eastern Canada will be soon enjoying lower fuel prices when they don't have to import as much Alberta crude Via the USA.

Maybe Alberta should say "no" to all the BC residents working in Alberta?

With or without British Columbia, Alberta is well on its way to becoming the Saudi Arabia of North America.

So one of the major concerns is of course the possible threat to B.C.'s environment - this coming from a province where most if not all of the sewage from it's capitol city gets dumped into the ocean without any treatment other than being screened for solids over 6mm in diameter.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

The extremely rich Albertans still go to BC to play. You're right Alberta is the next Saudi Arabia, but even they know they need to diversify their economy. Hopefully, Alberta does the same while the big bucks are coming in.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Ab is not the next Saudi Arabia. While we are in a good situation now, the future looks less than promising.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by sxtasy
    The extremely rich Albertans still go to BC to play. You're right Alberta is the next Saudi Arabia, but even they know they need to diversify their economy. Hopefully, Alberta does the same while the big bucks are coming in.
    LOL, what was the old 70's Bumper sticker??

"Please God, Give us another oil boom, we promise not to piss it away this time."

LOL.... guess what? Deja Vu all over again lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast