Quantcast
My Log: Travel, Talisker, Trappists & T-Bones to Training for a Total Transformation - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My Log: Travel, Talisker, Trappists & T-Bones to Training for a Total Transformation

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Default My Log: Travel, Talisker, Trappists & T-Bones to Training for a Total Transformation

I've loved reading everyone's logs on here recently and figure it's time to start my own.

Some of you may have noticed that I used to be very active in this Health & Fitness Forum but have been realtively MIA the last couple of years. I have been working overseas and traveling a lot and have completely failed at finding a healthy routine.

2011 led me to being into the worst shape in my life as I was living out of a hotel in Dubai most of the year due to the Arab Uprising. That meant poor gym access and a lot of restaurant food and room service (few healthy options in Dubai). Plus, without much else to do after work, I was going out with co-workers and cabin crew and drinking way too much. That was the expensive whiskey, beer, and fine dining part of my life and even though I'm happy I abused the expense account for a while, I'm over it now and it's time to get back into shape! Time for the Total Transformation of Body, Health, and Diet.

The biggest challenges for me are that I'll still be traveling ~6 months of the year (5 week on / 5 week off rotations) and that I'm surrounded by a big boozing culture at work. It's open bar so the temptation is always there, especially when work gets stressful and my colleagues want to get on it (I live in a compound without much else to do). That said, I'm going to do my best and hopefully this log will serve as motivation to focus on hammering the weights instead of the beers.

Current Stats:
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight:
    20121026 - 176.0
    Measurements

20120908 - Taken in the evening, before dinner, no pump.
    20121122 - Taken after lunch, no pump.
    (Relaxed, Flexed)
    Neck (16,16.75)(16,16.75)
    Chest (42,43)(42,44)
    Upper Arm R (13,14.5)(13,14.5)
    Upper Arm L (13,14.5)(13,14.5)
    Forearm R (11.5,12)(11.5,12)
    Forearm L (11.5,12)(11.5,12)
    Waist @ Belly Button (36,36)(36,35.5)
    Waist @ Belt Line (34,34.5)(34.5,34.5)
    Hips (39)(38)
    Thigh R (22.5,22.5)(22.5,22.5)
    Thigh L (22.75,22.5)(22.5,22.5)
    Calf R (15.5,15.75)(15,15.25)
    Calf L (15,15.25)(14.5,15)

Measurements Goal:
    Calculated Using: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson207.htm

Weight: 180 Pounds @ <8% BF

Grecian Ideal
    Wrists 7 inches
    Chest 46 inches
    Waist 32 inches
    Hip 39 inches
    Bicep 17 inches
    Forearm 13 inches
    Thigh 24 inches
    Calve 16 inches
    Neck 17 inches

Steve Reeves Ultra-Symmetrical Physique

Wrist 7 Arms 18
    Ankle 8.75 Calf 17
    Head 22.25 Neck 18
    Pelvis 37 Chest 55
    Pelvis 37 Waist 32
    Knee 15 Thigh 26

I truly doubt I have the genetics to reach the 'Grecian Ideal' naturally and certainly not Steve Reeves' calculator sizes, but I like to aim high and it's good to see what's possible.

Strength:
    Calculated Using: http://www.calculatorpro.com/calcula...ax-calculator/

Bench Press:
    20120910 - 200x5 & 210x3 = ~237-240 Pounds
    20121023 - 205x5 = ~246 pounds
    20121114 - 210x9 = ~287 pounds
    20121121 - 217x10 = ~306 pounds

Deadlifts:
    20120911 - 310x5 = ~357
    20121112 - 270x8 = ~339 (grip fail)
    20121119 - 285x10 =~380 (straps)

Squats (Smith Machine )
    20121109 - 190x8 =~232
    20121116 - 200x8 =~244
    20121123 - 210x10 = ~260

Unfortunately, I have a shoulder / chest flexibility issue that makes it hard for me to do back squats (can't hold the bar). I also used to run 3 days a week instead of training legs (my only opportunity to get outside the compound at work) so I have some serious leg work to do! We only have a Smith Machine rather than a proper Squat Rack at the camp gym so it's not ideal, but I'll do my best.

Strength Goal - 1000+ Club for Big 3:

Bench Press: 315
    Dead Lift: 405
    Squat: 315

Nutrition

Given I'm in a camp, I have to eat what's available. I'm pushing the chefs to cook cleaner food for me but they're typical Brits and like to deep fry and put lots of oil on everything. I just do my best to pick off the skin / fried bits and choose healthy options when they're available.

When I'm traveling, it's also difficult, but I'll do what I can to adhere to my goal macros. I plan to use the 'My Fitness Pal' Android App to track my intake. I also have to take care of my immune system being that I'm always in the Third World countries and I'm sure there will be times where I won't absorb many nutrients from what I'm eating due to one parasite or another.

Macro Goals:

Training Days: 3000 Calories
    Off Days: 2500 Calories

Protein: 250 grams (~35%)
    Carbs: 300 grams (~40-45%)
    Fat: 80-100 Grams (~25-30%)

Supplements:

I plan to make an order when I'm in NYC my next off-shift as there isn't much available here at a decent price. Just taking a Multi-Vit for now and trying to have a few cups of Green Tea each morning and a big cup of coffee before my workouts. Given how hard it is to control my diet and health here, I'll probably supplement more than I would back home.

Shopping List:
    ON Whey
    ON Multi
    BB.com Green Tea Extract
    BB.Com Fish Oil
    BB.Com Creatine
    NOW L-Arginine
    PWO Drink of Some Sort (Jack3d, C4, Rage??)
    Probiotics
    Fiber
    Cocoa Butter (Try to Prevent Stretch Marks)

Routine:

Update November 2012 - Now doing Wendler's 5/3/1. Below is old split routine.

I work 12 hour days and like to work out mid-day when my energy is high so I'm limited to <1 hour per workout.

Day 1: Chest Morning / Triceps Evening
    Day 2: Back Morning / Biceps Evening
    Day 3: Shoulders
    Day 4: Legs
    Day 5: Insanity Ab Workout + Abs + Calves

I'll usually work a rest day or Insanity Cardio & Plyometric Day in the mix depending on how I'm feeling. When I'm traveling (~6 months of the year) I'm limited to doing Insanity Workouts off my tablet and body weight routines. I'm hoping to get more into Yoga & Pilates and try some of these http://www.beastskills.com/ exercises.

I'll try to get some pics and vids up over time...just figured I'd get this thread going while I'm being motivated by everyone else on this forum!
    Last edited by davidI; 11-24-2012 at 04:42 AM.

My Ride
    Has wheels

I use everyone else's progress threads as motivation as well. Helps keep me accountable to my own. Work on your flexibility for back squats, you'll slowly get there. 315lbs front squat is sick though.

I'll be keeping an eye for updates.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by bruceod
    I use everyone else's progress threads as motivation as well. Helps keep me accountable to my own. Work on your flexibility for back squats, you'll slowly get there. 315lbs front squat is sick though.

I'll be keeping an eye for updates.
    Your thread was one of the main reasons I started mine! I tried to get training logs / fitness competitions going on Beyond 4 or 5 years ago,but the forum's maturity level wasn't quite there yet - everyone said I was being a homo for wanting to see other topless dudes I'm happy to see people have grown up a bit!

315 is my Front Squat goal and I honestly think it will be the hardest of the 3 lifts for me to achieve (it amazed me that Shadowz is pushing it out already!) I haven't trained my legs much since I always used to try and get out running at least 3 days a week (no way I can run after a leg day!). I can't get outside from the compound I'm in now so I will start training legs properly again. I'd give my left nut for a proper squat rack though - I hate Smith machines.
    Last edited by davidI; 09-11-2012 at 05:49 AM.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Good to see. It's time for some female members to post their transformations.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

There are females on this forum? I didn't think they ever lasted more than a week!

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

I liked how others took vids of their lifts to check technique. It's something I had never thought to do before.

Here is my quick DL warm-up at 135#s. I wish I'd slowed down a bit for the purposes of showing form, but as I say, it was just a quick warm-up. I think my form is pretty good here, though my shoulders may be a bit ahead of the bars and I lean forward on to my toes a bit too much at certain points in the lift.

Here is my 310 x 5. I don't like my form as much...I don't get down as much to lift with my legs. It's a bit of a two part lift, with me standing and then using my back to finish the lift. I want it to be more fluid. My shoulders also look too forward again, though I'm wondering if this is because of my over/under grip. Perhaps I'll have to start getting used to a hook-grip or using straps or something.

If anyone has further critiques that would be great!
    Last edited by davidI; 09-12-2012 at 12:41 AM.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Actually, I just did a little MS Paint Analysis like I did for Bruce and it's not too bad. I still have to get my arse down a bit with the heavy weights and avoid leaning forward, but it's not as bad as I thought.

Now I just need to lift more weight!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Poor eating day yesterday. My gut was off though.

Only counted 2000 calories, though I bet it was closer to 2500.

Carbs 116g
    Fat 62g
    Protein 190g

Had a couple of drinks too as there was a pretty decent party last night (for Yemen, it was good).

Had an ok upper back workout at lunch. Not great...just ok. I was distracted as it was while the US Embassy was under attack here so I kept pausing my workout to watch CNN and I didn't have enough time.

25 Pull-ups to start 10/9/6 - felt good.
    3 Sets of Barbell Rows @90 pounds. Form didn't feel right.
    3 sets of cable rows. Felt good. I'm pulling more weight with better form on those now.
    Mixed in a bunch of shrugs. Our DBs here are only 60#s so it's not great for shrugs. I'll have to start using a BB here to do them.

I'm still working on better form for barbell rows. I may have to video my form another day. Here's a good article I found while researching - I'll have to use these tips next week: http://stronglifts.com/how-to-master...row-technique/

My Ride
    X5

Wow deadlift is looking good! Can I make a suggestion though, in regards to being more fluid while lifting?

When you begin the lift, think of it as thrusting your hips forward in order to complete the movement, so that you don't get the "two part lift" thing happening.

I've attached a link to further explain what I mean, hope it helps!

http://www.menshealth.com/video/fitn...t-0#/video/all

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Thanks man. I'll think of hip thrusting next workout and hopefully that helps. Perfect comment as it will help me visualize what I need to do in the gym.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Solid shoulder workout today. I did some curl work after as well since I didn't really do a proper bicep routine yesterday. I was pretty tired after a party last night but had 2 big cups of coffee before my workout which gave me the boost I needed.

Arnold Presses
    12x40# DBs
    9x60# DBs + 3 Military Presses
    8x60# DBs + 4 Military Presses
    6x60# DBs + 4 Military Presses
    8x60# DBs (Just Military Presses)

I wish we had heavier DBs as I'd love to amp up the weight on my shoulder presses.

3x10 Single Arm Landmine Presses 45-65 pounds + BB.

3x12 Upright BB Rows EZ Curl Bar 75 pounds.

3x12 Reverse Cable Crossovers trying to hit my rear delt.

Then I just pounded out a variety of curls and did some cable work on my bis.

Had a BBQ feast after too so I should easily hit my macros today.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Limited by the gym? Might have to come up with some creative exercises to get the most out of the weight.

What part of the world are you currently in? What's the time difference?

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

I'm in Sana'a, Yemen. It's 9 hours difference from Calgary right now. It has been an interesting couple of days with the protests here...

Sadly I am a bit limited by our current gym set-up. I'm doing my best to come up with some creative solutions though and vary up my routine as much as possible. Sometimes you just need to push heavy ass weight though! I'll try to take some pics of my current gym set-up.

At my old gym we had all sorts of cool creative solutions. It was a field based gym (O&G) so guys would break out the welders and put together all sorts of cool equipment with scrap pipe (including squat racks, T-Bar Row gear, Weight Racks, Dip Racks etc.). We also had DBs up to 100#s which was cool because then it became a goal for me to put up 8 reps on the incline bench with those, which I managed to do after 6 weeks of training towards it.

I'm going to try and bring in straps next shift to set-up for ring flies and bodyweight tricep extensions - just saw them here for the first time - would work the stabilizers in a big way!: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...scle_by_muscle

For shoulders I'm going to try to get into handstand pushups. Since I weight around 170-180 that should up the weight a bit from my 60# DBs. I really wish we had a damn squat rack here because then I could do bar work for shoulders. http://www.beastskills.com/freestand...stand-pushups/

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Macros weren't so good yesterday. Fridays are pizza nights here so I didn't have any other options - plus I was really hungry so I ate too much. I threw in the towel, called it a cheat day, and had a beer too. No good!! It will definitely be better once I have some whey protein here so I can have balanced snacks throughout the day.

3200 Calories
    137g Fat
    179g Carbs
    229g Protein.

Just a quick workout at lunch today. Insanity Abs workout + somem additional abs strength training + stretching.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

A couple more links I'm saving for myself. Though I'm not in the military, there are some good creative exercise solutions here. I'll definitely be bringing in resistance bands and tie down straps to come up with some new exercises.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/musc...a-mission.html

I'm thinking I may start traveling with a resistance band in my backpack too so I can do some strength work on the road. I've never done that before so I've always dropped weight / strength while traveling.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Seems as though you're coming up with some creative ways to continue to gain, even with limited weight on hand. Handstand pushups look a little intense haha.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Leg Day today.

Still struggling to get comfortable with my squat form. I just stuck with the weight around 150 and did 4 sets of Front Squats. Form doesn't feel right. My knees move a bit and I get pain in my left one. I also sometimes feel it in my lower back. Not great. Gotta keep working at it. I blame the Smith machine's restricted motion as I never used to have pain in the squat rack, but I'll need to figure out how to change my form to make it work.

I tried some back squats as well. I can now get my hands on the bar way out by the weights (seems wider on a smith machine than normal barbell)...it's ugly but at least I can hold it on my shoulders. Back squats feel much better in my legs, but it definitely still hurts my shoulders. I've got to keep working on the flexibility.

Next shift I'll be hitting legs twice a week until I can get the strength and form up.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Maybe you can incorporate some DB squats. Might be better for the range of motion than the smith machine.

You mentioned the DB's you have access to go up to 60lbs? It would be a start anyways.

Don't mean to post the big ass picture but I'm sure you get the idea.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by bruceod
    Maybe you can incorporate some DB squats. Might be better for the range of motion than the smith machine.

You mentioned the DB's you have access to go up to 60lbs? It would be a start anyways.

Don't mean to post the big ass picture but I'm sure you get the idea.
    Thanks man. Yea, I actually did some DB squats at the end of my workout with 40#ers and a few sets of 25 rep bodyweight squats. I was just holding the DBs at my side though - I should try putting them up on my shoulders like that.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast