Quantcast
Proposed dance facility in Beltline gets $5.5-million funding pledge from city - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed dance facility in Beltline gets $5.5-million funding pledge from city

Thumbs down Proposed dance facility in Beltline gets $5.5-million funding pledge from city

Proposed dance facility in Beltline gets $5.5-million funding pledge from city

BY TREVOR HOWELL, CALGARY HERALD DECEMBER 6, 2013 5:00 PM

STORYPHOTOS ( 1 )

Kathi Sundstrom, executive director of Decidedly Jazz Danceworks, says a proposed $17.9-million dance facility in the Beltline intends to “bring dance to the street and make it accessible.”
    Photograph by: Ted Rhodes Ted Rhodes , Calgary Herald
    A city council committee has approved a $5.46-million funding request for a proposed $17.9-million dance facility in Calgary’s Beltline.

At 3,250 square metres, the Decidedly Jazz Danceworks Dance Centre would be the largest facility of its kind in the city. It would house several dance studios, performance venues, a recreational school and community space.

“We moved into our current facility in 1993 . . . and we paid $35,000 a year in rent,” said Kathi Sundstrom, executive director for Decidedly Jazz Danceworks. “We now pay in excess of $250,000, so we can’t afford to operate where we are because we can’t expand our revenue because there are only so many studios.”

DJD is partnering with the Kahanoff Centre for Charitable Activities to build a $40-million, 12-storey building at Centre Street and 12th Avenue S.E.

DJD, which is kicking in $17.9 million for the project, would occupy the first five floors of the building through a 49-year lease.

Sundstrom said the new performing arts facility should open in November 2015 and will provide the community with additional arts space.

“Our objective was to bring dance to the street and make it accessible,” said Sundstrom.

“With seven studios, part of the philosophy and the commitment to the civic funding is that we will have one studio available for the community,” she added. “So independent artists will have more access to rehearsal space and the studio theatre.”

The $5.46 million, which still needs council approval, is through the Municipal Sustainability Initiative Culture-Related Infrastructure Fund.

The provincial and federal governments have already approved $5 million and $1.9 million, respectively, for the project. DJD has also received $1.5 million from the Calgary Foundation and $3.5 million in private donations.

If approved by council, the $5.46 million would bring DJD to 85 per cent of its fundraising goal, said Sundstrom.

Mayor Naheed Nenshi, who offer a strong endorsement for the project during Friday’s meeting, said the facility would provide a permanent home for one of Calgary’s “pre-eminent” arts companies and addresses a “dearth” of mid-sized performance space in Calgary.

“I’m more excited than anything about another 200-seat theatre being available in the community because that is precisely the sweet spot of where we have a real lack of performing arts space,” Nenshi said following the meeting.

The mayor said the project could spur development in the Beltline between the Stampede grounds and Connaught.

“This is a really, really important corridor and a huge investment in the east Beltline, in a part of the community that needs a little bit of a push in order to reach its full development potential,” Nenshi said.

“For me, this is as close to a perfect project in terms of arts space investment as we can see anywhere,” the mayor added.

[email protected]

Twitter@TSHowell

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

My Ride
    G37X

Very disappointing use of tax dollars Nenshi

Who cares about a race track, dancing in the streets
    clearly needs to be contained to a safe venue.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Strippers got to learn some where?

great news! bring some more diversity to activities and programs in the beltline that will go to spur more people to move central.. GG Nenshi

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 01:30 PM.

That be a lotta stripper poles. Who needs a racetrack anyway?

My Ride
    Car

Fucking nenshi.

Typical Harper and the Conservatives throwing our tax dollars to projects like this.

Who voted for these clowns?!

Am I doing this right?

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Nenshi, your money is not required for me. I can dance by myself in my god-damn living room. Now to make parking available for the parents of people dancing so they can drive in from the burbs and watch their family and/or friends flail about. I have a friend who dances...everyone who goes to these amateur dances knows the dancers.

What's the point of this?

My Ride
    an econo box

Are you guys against city subsidized hockey arenas too?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Originally posted by KrisYYC
    Never mind city subsidized, the money the city is putting up represents less than half of total government funding for the project.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Absolutely.

My Ride
    NC1

No!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    It's wind powered

Originally posted by lilmira
    Strippers got to learn some where?
    Happiness starts at 3000 rpm.

My Ride
    something green

Threats of service cuts to absolute necessities at all levels of government, but they miraculously find money for BS like this..
    The other problem with these kind of projects, is nobody thinks about maintaining the capital project after completion, just more weight to hang on the taxpayer down the road.. If the users can't pay for it, don't build it. Arenas included.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Nothing

Yes, f*k hockey.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

Originally posted by frizzlefry
    Nenshi, your money is not required for me. I can dance by myself in my god-damn living room. Now to make parking available for the parents of people dancing so they can drive in from the burbs and watch their family and/or friends flail about. I have a friend who dances...everyone who goes to these amateur dances knows the dancers.

What's the point of this?

lol

What was the name of the dirty kid again?

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Pig Pen
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

Originally posted by Maxt
    Threats of service cuts to absolute necessities at all levels of government, but they miraculously find money for BS like this..
    The other problem with these kind of projects, is nobody thinks about maintaining the capital project after completion, just more weight to hang on the taxpayer down the road.. If the users can't pay for it, don't build it. Arenas included.
    This is essentially creating the dedicated studio space to save the capital funding burden from DJD. It will be part of a much larger complex that has always wanted to be partnered with DJD but wasn't going to foot the construction bill without providing a rental price that would adequately covered it.

So that's where the government funding for dedicated "culture space" comes in (that would be planning parlance for 'space the private sector won't pay for but does produce a benefit to the community and city).

This is the building, DJD is on the bottom two "boxes":

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast