Quantcast
Starting a new hockey team - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Starting a new hockey team

My Ride
    Acura Lexus

Don't forget about jerseys. I sponsored my teams jerseys.

I trusted a team member to take care of it for me with the expectation to pay in the 3-4000 range for 17sets (15ft, 2 spares) but obviously he dropped the ball on it cause end result is a $7000 bill. Lol mind you they are super nice.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Acura Lexus

Every team is operated differently. Do what works for ya as every situation is different.

I also had two guys quit my team recently and I refunded them their money (unheard of apparently).
    Instead of selling the two spots off right away, I have 3 part timers who agreed to do a pay as you go $20/game.

My current roster has 13ft players so the part timers are going to be playing regularly.
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by max_boost
    end result is a $7000 bill. Lol mind you they are super nice.
    We know your business sponsorship has "Peking" in it, but did you get real Peking duck feathers sew into the materials or something?

My team has 17 full time guys that cover the league fees. It might seem like too many but there are almost always 5-6 guys that can't make it on any given night. We don't charge our goalie anything because it's not easy to find a committed goalie that can play in the top divisions. We also don't charge anything when spares come out because we only bring them out when we can't get 2 full lines.

If you can convince the guys to use it, www.teamcowboy.com is a good website for tracking who is coming out every game. Guys rsvp as 'playing' or 'not playing' through email a few days before each game, then we know if we need to bring out spares.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Every team is operated differently. Do what works for ya as every situation is different.

I also had two guys quit my team recently and I refunded them their money (unheard of apparently).
    Instead of selling the two spots off right away, I have 3 part timers who agreed to do a pay as you go $20/game.

My current roster has 13ft players so the part timers are going to be playing regularly.
    I believe the following happened to that situation...

1. option was given to revoke sponsorship, pay the $3000 sponsorship, or pay the entire bill. Making a big fuss about sponsorship isn't going to make the bill cheaper... in fact, might have even gone up.

2. You offered to pay people if they were unhappy.

Sponsorship of team jerseys doesn't make it your team lol. Pay for the league fees then we're talking status.

LoL at Tomco, real duck feathers. Sweet!
    Last edited by TYMSMNY; 12-08-2013 at 11:25 PM.

My Ride
    Acura Lexus

Lol agree to disagree.
    I am user #49

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

I think next set of jerseys I make will be sublimated jerseys for $75/each, $150/home and away.

How do people make the jerseys these days? above way is the cheapest for decent jerseys? (not full blown baller jerseys with full cresting/numbers/name)

opinions?

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by Tram Common

I find that really depends on the camaraderie of your team and the age of the players. Younger guys tend to not want to shower with the team and often hide in the corners while they change... that being said, my current team would look like a bunch of flamboyant gays to an outsider coming into the dressing room at any given time...

"90's kids" I guess, haha just kidding... everyone's self confidence level is different maybe. (C_Dave had a huge thread about the whole changing/hiding in gym locker rooms)

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Originally posted by leftwing

Div 1 Marshall's, how about you?
    Samsquantches.. Now Div 3. We were in Div 1 for a few games last year but didnt do so well!

We just got new Reebok Edge jerseys, ended up being $160pp with printed and sewn on logo/sewn on logo.

Don't forget about jerseys. I sponsored my teams jerseys.

I trusted a team member to take care of it for me with the expectation to pay in the 3-4000 range for 17sets (15ft, 2 spares) but obviously he dropped the ball on it cause end result is a $7000 bill. Lol mind you they are super nice.
    Is there real gold sewed into the fabric? Dude, that's an outrageous cost for 17 jerseys... For adult hockey anywhere around $75-150 per jersey is about right for numbered, named jerseys... I hope it wasn't anyone in town that took you guys for $7000.

My Ride
    Acura Lexus

Originally posted by Davetronz

Is there real gold sewed into the fabric? Dude, that's an outrageous cost for 17 jerseys... For adult hockey anywhere around $75-150 per jersey is about right for numbered, named jerseys... I hope it wasn't anyone in town that took you guys for $7000.
    Yea that number is definitely eye popping.

I still say Kenny should just sponsor a Beyond team. Expand the marketing efforts. I've seen quite a few of you play, Beyond would make a sick team. hahaha
    I am user #49

My Ride

Me and a friend ran a team for a few years in HNA Calgary that was pretty much all co workers or friends;

Get the money up front and don't let guys play full time with the promise of paying at a later date. Even with a team full of co-workers it's amazing how people try to stiff you for fee's etc
    The guy that ran the team before us always covered people that couldn't afford it and EVERY year was out of pocket at least a $1000. Fuck that.

We charged 50$ more per player than the break even point on team fees; opened up a team bank account and used the extra money for beer money, pucks, etc. If\When the beer fund runs out, any player that was a no show (without notice) had to bring a case of beer.

We also made our goalie pay, although the previous manager didn't. As far as spares go;
    We had 14 players + 1 goalie, and had 2 games all season where everyone actually showed up. Our spares always bailed us out, so they didn't pay.

If someone asked me to spare last minute for a 11:00pm weeknight game, fuck that I ain't paying

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Originally posted by Davetronz

Full cresting on all parts (shoulder, arms, backs) plus custom sublimated socks, plus goalie's jerseys. Balls out on that one I believe.

I believe there was real gold sewn into on. Just have to figure out which one so I can "borrow".

Team bank account? wow. I guess for an established team it's fine but a newly formed team it might be premature. Also depends on if the team does event and such.... maybe the team can wash cars to fund-raise for beer nights at BPs. lol.

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by TYMSMNY

maybe the team can wash cars to fund-raise for beer nights at BPs. lol.

No thanks

My Ride
    Acura Lexus

Originally posted by TYMSMNY
    I think next set of jerseys I make will be sublimated jerseys for $75/each, $150/home and away.

How do people make the jerseys these days? above way is the cheapest for decent jerseys? (not full blown baller jerseys with full cresting/numbers/name)

opinions?
    Oh ya you can start here man.

$100 for a set of home/away with socks. Fast shipping too. 3 business days.

http://blankhockeyjerseys.com/

$1500 to start. Go to pro hockey and heat press some numbers $4/jersey X30 = $120

$1620 now + however much it costs to put a logo out front.

Budgetballerftmfw.

I am getting some done, will let you know how it turns out.
    I am user #49

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

True.

Sublimated, 32 x $75 = $2400. Names, numbers, logo, custom color etc. Definitely an option for clean team jerseys. $150 per player is decent for each player to pay.

What does everyone else do for jerseys? Pay? Sponsored? etc?

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

I GM 2 teams in 2 different leagues at the moment.

First off, subs pay on my teams for a couple reasons,
    1: to recoup the cost of keeping spare jerseys around for subs, that was paid out of my pocket and is reasonable, as well as other operating costs, such as pucks, bottles, and yes beer and practices.
    2: I never expect to play hockey for free, ever, that goes for any shinny, any subbing I do for any team, and I maintain a perfectly happy sub list who are willing to pay 10-15 per game to come out. Some of you act like you're doing the guys a favor by coming out, like you're special. Most of us play for fun, and have no problem skating at whatever times the games are....but I'm friends with mostly shift workers.

Our team jerseys broke down this way. Team 1 we sourced locally, reebok jerseys, home and away, 18 sets of each. These worked out to $100 a piece, had heat pressed tackle twill numbers on back and arms, and heat pressed sublimated tackle twill logo on the front (different for home and away).

Team 2 I went to Ontario to order, got Kamazu jerseys, sewn on sublimated crest, and 2 color sewn on numbers and curved 2 color names (NYR style) for $95 each. These jerseys are nicer than the reeboks I find, lighter, breath better, and fit generally better.

With the sub money, Team 1 Jerseys are "team owned", so nobody owns their own jersey, but they were able to pick a number. Benefits of signing up full time. Team 2 are individually owned jerseys, with myself owning mine and 5 spares, but that team uses less spares so had alot less money (plus its a private league, so not just anyone can play).

Any other questions, just ask or PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

We got our second set of jerseys from 11th Hour out in Ontario. Great guy to work with, quick response time and shipping is reasonable.

If anyone is looking to fill their ice team, I'd love to join/sub! Defense, Div C and below.

My Ride
    Acura Lexus

Originally posted by TurboMedic

2: I never expect to play hockey for free, ever, that goes for any shinny, any subbing I do for any team, and I maintain a perfectly happy sub list who are willing to pay 10-15 per game to come out. Some of you act like you're doing the guys a favor by coming out, like you're special. Most of us play for fun, and have no problem skating at whatever times the games are....

It's funny when guys say they need like 3 days notice to sub lol but when I post up shinny for tomorrow, they have no problem going.

As for subs, if it's the same dude subbing all the time, lol might as well just call him a part timer and have him pay his dues albeit a cheaper rate than everyone else. It's not like you are going to call a different guy each time, generally there's a short list of guys who are willing to pay & play. You don't play, you don't pay. What's so complicated.
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Acura Lexus

So do the hockey leagues allow you to use another team/country's logo or is there a copy right behind it?

What if I called my team the Calgary crowns and rocked the Swedish jersey? Full sublimated, numbers names shipped for like $60-70 each.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I am user #49

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast