Quantcast
Inglewood residents still miffed - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: Inglewood residents still miffed

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    If that's true, I'm going to buy as many rental properties as allowed over there, lol.
    There's a lot of property that's in the 300's that's worth the investment purely from a land value perspective, but I still think it's too early to pull the trigger.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Thinking about it though, wouldn't all that land the rails are on be seriously contaminated after decades of being a hub? What would the cost of that cleanup be?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    If that's true, I'm going to buy as many rental properties as allowed over there, lol.
    I did say "..one of the ideas..."

I agree with rage2, before the yuppies moved in, it didn't seem like as big of a deal. Just wait until the yuppies realize there's probably been chemical/waste spills there for almost a hundred years. From what i've heard, the Ogden yard was nasty when they were building that new office.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by hampstor
    Just wait until the yuppies realize there's probably been chemical/waste spills there for almost a hundred years. From what i've heard, the Ogden yard was nasty when they were building that new office.
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

haha good old SimCity. I think they all know there's pollution, but rest assured there will be a new round of activism to get the city/province/federal government to clean up the mess. And they'll have to, because 11-year-old Jackson Bray "hates poisonous stuff".
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

I'd personally think that there are far better reasons for not wanting the land under alyth than what the railway is doing...given the stench on the area isn't caused by the railway...

as for moving alyth, I seriously don't see it happening. The long term plan is to make it a run through terminal that only services local customers directly, but the trains would still be rolling through. As I have mentioned though, the actual amount of "work" being done in alyth proper has significantly reduced over the last few years, and train starts are down (traffic is up, but train lengths are longer meaning an overall reduction in trains and better asset utilization)
    Last edited by Go4Long; 02-05-2014 at 12:34 PM.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

Recent tweet - now the fumes are a problem as well. Look out Fleischmann's, Lilydale, Alberta Brewers(?) etal...

Alyth ‏@AlythYard Feb 5

@icacalgary the fumes this morning are stifling. Locos running all night #ShameOnYouCPrail

7:46 AM - 5 Feb 2014
    Last edited by speedog; 02-06-2014 at 02:17 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

It's too bad no one ever fights back with the same intensity that these ignorant fucking chowder heads go at things. They should be humiliated, openly, for their lack of understanding and facts and blatant attempts at currying favour by misleading the public.

That's kind of a global sentiment, whenever and wherever these lying fear-mongers pop up.....
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    It's too bad no one ever fights back with the same intensity that these ignorant fucking chowder heads go at things. They should be humiliated, openly, for their lack of understanding and facts and blatant attempts at currying favour by misleading the public.

That's kind of a global sentiment, whenever and wherever these lying fear-mongers pop up.....
    Yep, agreed 100%.

My interpretation is that someone in marketing is going to think that will make their public image look bad, and they don't want to look like corporate bullies. But unfortunately, the public is already under the impression they are bad. However, they NEED to come back, have a serious discussion and say, these are the facts, these are the processes and regulations, what do you as the public feel should change and how would be implement that. So many of these community reps are just bitching to hear themselves talk, and have no feasible ideas or mechanism(s) for alternative solutions, but rather just highlighting what they feel is a problem.
    Ultracrepidarian

The #shameonyoucprail Twitter feed - lots of tweets from the Inglewood Community Association.

Now while I realize that there may still be some issues and certainly the load testing was something that wasn't done throughout the years in that yard, complaining about fumes and trains running at odd hours during the night is over the top IMHO. As one that sat on my CA's board in past years, I can see how a few energetic people could totally change the focus of a CA - we had two such residents who all of a sudden started showing up to our CA meetings a number of years back who never ever attended meetings. Their beef was a proposed cell phone tower and after they became aware that everything was well within the guidelines with respect to the tower and that the CA really didn't have no beefs and wouldn't support a petition of any kind, then they quickly stopped attending CA meetings.

Unfortunately in the Inglewood CA situation, I suspect there's some very entrenched people running things there with an agenda or two that may or may not be supported by the majority of Inglewood residents - the problem being that less than 0.5% of people in a community ever bother to get to a CA meeting where a lot of stuff gets decided with respect to a CA's direction or what happens in that community. I know I was seriously surprised at how much sway a CA can have on things happening in their community.
    Will fuck off, again.

CP should release an infographic. Seriously. Throw out an infographic with some facts that make them look good and the public perception will swing the other way.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

This guy, on the other hand, is speaking as a representative of the company...lol. Just the title fills me with joy.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/02/19...against-nimbys

Canadian Pacific Railway boss Hunter Harrison rails against NIMBYs

Canadian Pacific Railway boss Hunter Harrison says he doesn’t agree with the ruling against noise in his yard in southeast Calgary.

His yard has to be in somebody’s backyard, CP’s CEO says of Alyth Yard.

But he also says the ruling made last summer by the Canadian Transportation Agency, ordering CP to stop locomotive testing and repair work at Alyth from between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m., is being followed.

“I didn’t agree with the ruling. I don’t think it’s good for the rail workers. I don’t think it’s good for Calgary overall,” Harrison said.

“With due respect to the people of Inglewood, North America is turning into ‘not in my back yard’ territory. I don’t care what you do just don’t do it in my back yard.”

The order for Alyth Yard to quiet down came after three years of Inglewood residents battling for it to happen, though in February angry voices are still shouting over that noise.

And those residents took to the street over a derailment in September that caused 142 homes and 12 businesses to be evacuated after tanker cars carrying gasoline tipped.

Residents of Lac-Megantic — site of Quebec’s deadly derailment and explosion last year — expressed anger over oil and gas transported through the community.

Tuesday at a Calgary Chamber of Commerce event, Harrison spoke to CP carrying crude as well.

“Oil can be shipped safely if we get the right vessel and if we do it in the proper manner with the proper protocols,” he said.

“It can be done safely, as I said, there’s a lot of stuff more dangerous than crude that is moving around that nobody talks about.”

Crude currently accounts for less than 5% of CP’s business, Harrison says, and he’s not keen to carry more.

“CP’s success is not tied in any way to crude,” he said.

“I don’t get real excited about getting crude. I’m excited about moving lumber and paper and other stuff that rail roads were built on.”

— With files from Sun News
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...503/story.html

I like this quote.

Carra recalled coming out of a meeting at the community centre a few hundreds metres from the Alyth yard, when he found himself having to yell at people he was talking to.

“I suddenly realized, ‘why am I yelling?’ And then I see that houses around us are literally shaking from the noise.”
    Funny that he answered his own question in the quote haha.

My Ride
    '03 S2000

I had lunch with a friend of mine today. He happens to work for CPR as a mechanic in that shop on the night shift.

He said they do not run load tests in the shop at night (so that is a blatant lie by the residents that say otherwise) and that quite a few people in the shop have been laid off or transfered to Montreal, Coquitlam and Golden. In fact, CP installed special heating units on the locomotives so they can be shut down such that the engines do not freeze up and split the engine block (did you know that the locomotives do not use antifreeze and have only water in the engine block for environmental reasons - just like race cars on a track are not allowed antifreeze ... which is slippery on asphalt ...).

So where is the noise coming from? Well, trains that run by on the tracks at night. Therefore, if the shops are removed, there will be no change in the noise that is left.

So, shame on the residents!

Good on 'em.

R
    "I don't look for something; I find something" - Picasso

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-31-2019 at 11:40 AM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by reijo
    I had lunch with a friend of mine today. He happens to work for CPR as a mechanic in that shop on the night shift.

He said they do not run load tests in the shop at night (so that is a blatant lie by the residents that say otherwise) and that quite a few people in the shop have been laid off or transfered to Montreal, Coquitlam and Golden. In fact, CP installed special heating units on the locomotives so they can be shut down such that the engines do not freeze up and split the engine block (did you know that the locomotives do not use antifreeze and have only water in the engine block for environmental reasons - just like race cars on a track are not allowed antifreeze ... which is slippery on asphalt ...).

So where is the noise coming from? Well, trains that run by on the tracks at night. Therefore, if the shops are removed, there will be no change in the noise that is left.

Good on 'em.

R
    Interesting about the trains but on some tracks as long as you use a closed loop system in your car you can still use antifreeze. Mission Raceway in BC follows these rules.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by reijo

Good on 'em.

R
    Good info, Reijo. I feel like that info needs to go elsewhere than here to really be heard.
    Ultracrepidarian

I know I am late to the party but I kinda wanna throw in my 2 cents.

My Summer cabin is on Lake Wabamun in a summer village that runs directly along CN's main line. We hear probably 7-8 trains a day maybe? Anyways these trains are going a fairly good speed as they are travelling along and not stopping. They also do the 4 horn signal because there is a crossing near the summer village.

You get used to it. I don't even hear the trains any more. At night time it never wakes me up or anything. And these trains literally shake the cabin and the beds. I mean when I have guests over they can hear them obviously but I can no longer as I am used to it. I don't see how these people can't get used to it.

Just my 0.02.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Doesn't matter. The Inglenimby's sole purpose (unspoken of course) is to raise their property values. It doesn't matter what CP does, nothing will make them happy short of removing the entire train yard altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7