Quantcast
Replace roof for hail damage? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Replace roof for hail damage?

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Default Replace roof for hail damage?

My Dad's Santa Fe was hit by a really bad hail storm. The insurance adjuster is suggesting the hood gets replaced and the roof gets cut out and a new one gets welded in.

My Dad took it to a couple of body guys he knows who figure welding a new roof in could cause some structural issues and they are suggesting pulling the dents and then filling and painting them. I trust their opinion, but have to wonder if they have self interests in making that proposal.

Thoughts?

A re weld could set it up for rust in the future. No matter how good, it's not the same as OEM.
    Replace the easy panels like hood and trunk.
    Pull the dents on the roof.

They'd probably drop the roof liner and push them up as best they can, then thin coat of bondo and go that route.

My Ride
    14 ZL1

It depends on the number and severity of dents, but it is routine to cut the roof out and install a new one. There is a repair process for it including number and spacing for welds.

Pulling, filling and sanding every dent is much more labor intensive and thus expensive.
    Mike
    14 ZL1
    07 Mazdaspeed3

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Default Re: Replace roof for hail damage?

Originally posted by davidI
    My Dad's Santa Fe was hit by a really bad hail storm. The insurance adjuster is suggesting the hood gets replaced and the roof gets cut out and a new one gets welded in.

My Dad took it to a couple of body guys he knows who figure welding a new roof in could cause some structural issues and they are suggesting pulling the dents and then filling and painting them. I trust their opinion, but have to wonder if they have self interests in making that proposal.

Thoughts?

be careful, insurance will do anything to cut corners, not pay out, they even suggest used airbag computers from impacted cars... be firm with them

My Ride
    Lease

The price to replace the roof is likely the most efficient way for the hail damage on your dad's suv.

Reasons it wasn't scheduled for PDR: number of dents exceed labour hours (money) for complete PDR than just replacing/repaint new roof, damage of dents (if Airdrie July, 2014) some dents are too deep for complete PDR finish (dents can't be PDR properly, PDR tech capability), could have a slight possibility where PDR pushes every dent out (rough finish) then combined with bodyshop method where the panel is sanded, (if PDR tech did job properly) only need high-fill primer, repaint, then no need for body filler. (but, cost to pay PDR tech, and then bodyshop to sand, primer, repaint could still exceed "welding a new roof")

Did an article about it, wow, a few few few years back. http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/introduc...=&pagenumber=2

And this hail project I did from August, 2012 Calgary royal oak extreme hail... basically, the entire vehicle would look really nice as a proper professional hail fix, after these extreme dents were ROUGHED OUT with PDR, then just sanding, high-fill primer, then repaint. (but unfortunately, had this not been my personal beater, it's just not an efficient nor effective way to push each and every single deep dent outta that car just to rough it out then sand/repaint; way more simple to "toss that panel" (replace)... )
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st/364459/project-hailboy/

What's the replacement cost listed on that Santa Fe panel? like $1200 for new part/metal? And 16-18 hours for replacement labour? Few more hours prep and paint time (2-4 hours)... Shop rate listed on your estimate probably $70-75/hour... so I'm GUESSING $3,000-$3,700 to replace/repaint that roof?

Economically speaking, sometimes PDR is too labour intensive for too high volume, or too deep (heavy) of damage. (not worth paying labour, or damage can't physically be properly PDR)

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Thanks for your post TomcoPDR, I was hoping you would weigh in.

My Dad is still discussing with the insurance adjuster and is pushing for the dents to be pushed out based on the recommendation of our friend at the body shop. I'm sure you're correct the insurance adjuster is just pushing for the cheapest method which in this case would be the replacement.

I can't see the body shop suggesting pushing the dents if it weren't a feasible approach though.

Hopefully he has good luck with the adjuster!