Quantcast
Very slight ticking noise on morning start up. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Very slight ticking noise on morning start up.

My Ride
    14frs,06Tacoma,69Olds Vista Cruiser, 73VWwestfalia

Default Very slight ticking noise on morning start up.

Only on the first start of the day does it tick for 30 seconds or so. No more all day long. Winter or Summer, it doesn't matter. It is just this quietist tick, not a metal on metal knock. Most people can't hear it and say I'm imagining it.

The car is 2011 Elantra. I recall a thread here on beyond about oil filters where someone else said they have it and it's common.

It reminds me of an exhaust leak on my 97 explorer that went away after a minute.

I did some research and I think it is because the oil filter doesn't keep the pressure up over night.

So my question would be, is there a solution to this. If not I was wondering if upgrading to semi-synthetic would help.

If the semi-synthetic did nothing could I go back to normal oil.

Thanks

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

You could certainly try full synthetic oil and a bigger surface area filter.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Sounds like noisy lifters. Are you the first owner? Did you do your oil changes regularly?
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Normal on most hyundais.

My old mans 2006 sonata same thing. It's been ticking for most of its life. It's at 200,000km now and still is showing no signs of slowing down. Very solid.

The filter is placed vertically and the oil drains back to the oil pan.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Definitely sounds like lifters. Happens on my car, most likely you have a lifter that leaks a little and it stops ticking once the system gets oil pressure. The cause is down to the fact that your oil system doesn't hold pressure with the engine off and a very small leak in the lifter will eventually drain enough oil to cause that noise. It's not a huge problem as long as you aren't revving the shit out of it while its ticking. If it is always happens then it becomes a bit more of a concern because the lifter is leaking faster than oil can get to it. I just chose to live with it as its not worth tearing the head apart for something that isn't really causing any damage.

If you really can't live with it you can either replace the part of the lifter that leaks (the name escapes me at the moment) or you might be able to use an accusump to pressurize the oil system before you start the car to get rid of it.

Isn't this a common thing on Toyotas with Vvti engines such as late 2000s RAV4s??

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Synthetic might help, and should probably be used on all newer vehicles anyway. Also, I'd consider changing the weight to something a bit lighter. Ie: If 10w30 is recommended, try 5w30.

My Ride

Thanks everyone, these are the answers I was after/hopeing for.

Oh yeah, I am the first owner and I do all the service regularly.
    Last edited by big A; 09-06-2014 at 11:49 PM.

Maybe your using aftermarket oil filters and some does not have a anti drain back valve built into the oil filter to keep oil from draining back. Check original manufacture oil filter if they have the anti drain back valve built in.

My Ride

^^^ I do ask for OEM but that doesn't necessarily mean that's what I get.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It's funny that my AMG 6.2L has the same problem, but comes up after not driving for a week. It's deemed normal by MB. I've owned several and they all do the same thing, lifters drain of oil and gets noisy. Only way around it is to get some oil pressure going and that's by driving and putting light load on it and it goes away. Sitting away idling to warm it up does nothing as there's not enough oil pressure to hit the lifters. The quicker u get things lubricated the better because it does lead to premature lifter wear.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

You could run some lucas oil stabalizer in your oil. This seems to help. Especially if it's because of sitting.