No jail for coward police officer convicted of assault - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: No jail for coward police officer convicted of assault

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Default No jail for coward police officer convicted of assault

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/20...0-assault.html

After 4.5 years!

Superior Court Justice Brian O’Marra on Thursday overturned the 45-day jail sentence and instead ordered Const. Babak Andalib-Goortani, 34, to serve a year of probation and perform 75 hours of community service.

Andalib-Goortani expects to be returning to work as a police officer shortly, his lawyer told the court.
    Give this man a badge and a gun, who cares if he's a convicted criminal?

Andalib-Goortani faced a second assault charge for allegedly striking a woman with his baton but was acquitted after a photograph critical to the case was excluded from evidence.

Are police held to a higher standard than regular citizens? or the opposite?

and just for the lolz:
    Andalib-Goortani will return to court on Feb. 27, where his lawyers will argue that he should not have to provide a DNA sample under a court order.

Webb said they expect to argue that such an order would be a violation of Andalib-Goortani’s privacy rights.
    Doesn't beyond always say that when you commit a crime you give up your rights?
    Last edited by Modelexis; 01-29-2015 at 07:09 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

He was convicted.

Either way, he's entitled to the same vigorous defense that anyone is in Canada. We don't know why evidence was excluded and the appeal was successful on a misapplication of law, not his status as a police officer.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Default Re: No jail for coward police officer convicted of assault

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by FraserB
    He was convicted.

Either way, he's entitled to the same vigorous defense that anyone is in Canada. We don't know why evidence was excluded and the appeal was successful on a misapplication of law, not his status as a police officer.
    Could you afford to hire Alan Gold as your lawyer?
    How much does this cop make to afford it? Are the police paying for the lawyer?
    99% of Canada does not have access to lawyers of this caliber.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

Meh, it's part of the risk of the job.

What else is on?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by OU812

What else is on?
    Best response this week

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

What else is on?
    lol, aren't you the guy who thought that regular citizens don't lose their pay when they're accused of a crime?
    Originally posted by OU812 paid after being charged? Does anyone else lose their pay after being accused of something? Why should they?
    Keep fightin' the good fight!

I bet you also think that all unions pay the most expensive lawyers in Canada to fight cases where their members are caught committing crimes. lol, I wanna see the pipefitter union pay Alan Gold to fight a case where a welder is caught assaulting someone while they're on the clock.

Ok joe pipefitter, it doesn't look good for you, there is video evidence of you assaulting someone while you were on the job getting paid. What we're going to do is put you on a temporary paid vacation for 4.5 years and hire a Lawyer that costs millions of dollars in order to make sure that you don't see even one single day inside of a jail cell. After that we're going to try and get you your old job back.

Justice is served!
    Last edited by Modelexis; 01-29-2015 at 11:09 PM.

The fare comparison is if the pipefitter is being sued for something in relation of his job. Would the Union back a member who is named in a law suit in relation to the work he did?

My Ride
    Ford F150

What else is on?

I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

Default Re: No jail for coward police officer convicted of assault

Originally posted by Modelexis
    http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/20...0-assault.html

After 4.5 years!

Give this man a badge and a gun, who cares if he's a convicted criminal?

Are police held to a higher standard than regular citizens? or the opposite?

and just for the lolz:

Doesn't beyond always say that when you commit a crime you give up your rights?
    Your such an idiot!! Have you seen the videos of this? Im blown away it went court. I worked the G20 in Toronto. You have no idea about the real world. Once again, i'd love to have watch you stand beside me and watch you poop your pants as the petrol bombs flew and buildings got ransacked.

Mod....you are a muppet!

Edit:- heres a reality check. I worked this. So stop telling me your honest anarchist ways. You'd last a minute, and heres what we dealt with :-

http://youtu.be/I-h-YIj4jRw
    Last edited by Traffic_Cop; 01-30-2015 at 01:02 AM.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Default Re: Re: No jail for coward police officer convicted of assault

Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
    Your such an idiot!! Have you seen the videos of this? Im blown away it went court.
    I'm blown away minor drug possession charges go to court
    I'm blown away illegal gambling goes to court
    I'm blown away speeding on an empty road goes to court

Time to have empathy for the lives you and your mafia ruin on a daily basis. The guy with 2 grams of pot in his pocket doesn't get a union to spend millions of dollars fighting the case.

You funnel innocent people into the system, it's time one of your gang members got a taste of the lives they've ruined for no good reason.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 01-30-2015 at 07:57 AM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

lol, aren't you the guy who thought that regular citizens don't lose their pay when they're accused of a crime?Keep fightin' the good fight!

I bet you also think that all unions pay the most expensive lawyers in Canada to fight cases where their members are caught committing crimes. lol, I wanna see the pipefitter union pay Alan Gold to fight a case where a welder is caught assaulting someone while they're on the clock.

Ok joe pipefitter, it doesn't look good for you, there is video evidence of you assaulting someone while you were on the job getting paid. What we're going to do is put you on a temporary paid vacation for 4.5 years and hire a Lawyer that costs millions of dollars in order to make sure that you don't see even one single day inside of a jail cell. After that we're going to try and get you your old job back.

Justice is served!
    First off, he was suspended without pay for the last 14 months. Your example of using a trade as a direct example to this situation is ludicrous, it's not even remotely similar.

If the police union helped him out with legal fess, it is irrelevant. It's their money collected from dues and theirs to disperse and spend as they see fit. No taxpayer money goes to the union and I doubt you pay dues, so it's no one's business what that money is spent on.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

First off, he was suspended without pay for the last 14 months. Your example of using a trade as a direct example to this situation is ludicrous, it's not even remotely similar.

If the police union helped him out with legal fess, it is irrelevant. It's their money collected from dues and theirs to disperse and spend as they see fit. No taxpayer money goes to the union and I doubt you pay dues, so it's no one's business what that money is spent on.
    so he got 30 months of paid vacation, show me a private company that gives their employee that when they've been charged with criminal activity while on the job.

You're right that the trades, or mall security or G4S don't have a monopoly juggernaut union capable of spending millions of dollars in lawyer fees each time a their employee is criminally charged. That's what I'm pointing out is the problem, these cops are untouchable, and they act like it.
    Police know they have the power of the best lawyers money can buy so they walk around with this arrogance knowing that they cannot be touched and will never see jail.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 01-30-2015 at 08:22 AM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Well, it's been proven time and again that police aren't "untouchable", so that argument is out. And it seems like you don't understand he simply won't go right back to work after this.

What would you propose? Tell the police that when they sign up, all their Charter rights are suspended? You're basically saying that because of someone's job, they should not have the right to defend themselves against charges.

Whether or not someone can afford the best is irrelevant. Are you going to complain that a member of the public who does have funds can get a better lawyer that the unemployed person who commits the same crime?
    Last edited by FraserB; 01-30-2015 at 08:08 AM.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Well, it's been proven time and again that police aren't "untouchable", so that argument is out. And it seems like you don't understand he simply won't go right back to work after this.

What would you propose? Tell the police that when they sign up, all their Charter rights are suspended? You're basically saying that because of someone's job, they should not have the right to defend themselves against charges.

Whether or not someone can afford the best is irrelevant. Are you going to complain that a member of the public who does have funds can get a better lawyer that the unemployed person who commits the same crime?
    I propose that if police are ever found guilty in court for a crime, they should lose their job instantly, pay back all the money they received in paid leave and they should have to serve the maximum penalty the court decides. There should be a special set of penalties for police that is more punishing than for civilians. We should hold them to a higher standard. They should also be required to give a public apology on national TV.

They should be banned for life from owning guns and ammo and they should never be permitted to work in any law enforcement again.

For starters.

Separate firearm laws for cops? Separate criminal punishments.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 01-30-2015 at 08:25 AM.

Put all the crooked cops in one pot and burn them!!!

On a serious note, what needs to be done for things like this to stop happening? Police are normal human beings and somehow are never held accountable for mistakes and lapses of judgement that normal people make.

Something needs to change.

lol, aren't you the guy who thought that regular citizens don't lose their pay when they're accused of a crime?Keep fightin' the good fight!

Justice is served!
    Call the Wahbulance!! Unions should be hiring the best "anything" for their members. Thats their purpose.

I know lots of people who have been charged with assault. Guess how many lost their jobs? 0

The time it takes to go through court is not the accused responsability, blame the courts.

BTW Mod, you have such a hardon for the "mafia" What did you get charged and convicited of?
    Last edited by OU812; 01-30-2015 at 09:46 AM.

My Ride
    fairlady tt

BTW Mod, you have such a hardon for the "mafia" What did you get charged and convicted of?
    He probably got a tint ticket lol

My Ride
    Nissan 300zx (1990 na)

Typical ZioAmerica... including the sheeple responses here.
    Also as if provocateur were'nt fully active that day making the protestor arrests justified.

Things like this happens every few weeks... there should be a police state sticky thread to educate forum members of what kind of society we live in.
    Google this one
    "Elderly Man Arrested for No Reason While Walking Down Street in Seattle"
    via BestGore
    Last edited by Arash Boodagh; 01-30-2015 at 07:33 PM.

Originally posted by Arash Boodagh

Things like this happens every few weeks
    No, every second.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast