Quantcast
Good POE & VLAN switch? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Good POE & VLAN switch?

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Default Good POE & VLAN switch?

I been trying to get my devices powered by one switch and have a VLAN so i dont have power adapters everywhere but now I have mess of switches

I like the Aironet 1200 AP I use as a AP . I read that the POE standard they use is pre 2003..

I have tried several different switches and cant seem to get it work

DLINK (unmanaged, POE) DGS-1100-08P
    Cisco Aironet 1200 will power up .
    Thermostat will power up
    VLAN passthrough not working
    Powered trendnet camera

TrendNet TPE-S44 POE 100mb switch
    Didnt even power TRENDnet camera or anything really just a TP LInk POE splitter.

Decided to go heavy:
    TPLINK TL-SG3424P (Managed) paid $500 (says it does AT and AF POE)
    Cisco Aironet 1200 wont power up .
    Thermostat wont power up
    VLAN still won passthrough to anything

Useful article here http://www.tp-link.es/article/?id=328 I set the trunk and whatever needed - untagged/tagged. no VlAN

The switch I prefer to use is the dlink DGS-1100-08P since it powered all devices i tried with but can get vlan to work.......

Any tips or suggestions?
    Sorry if I sound confusing.
    Last edited by thetransporter; 07-31-2015 at 04:19 PM.

My Ride
    Ford

i have no idea what most of your post is asking. but i will say that i have this netgear POE switch that has my 12 house drops for internet. and my 6 POE cameras. been running for almost a year without a problem.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAF.../dp/B00GSQ7IPU
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    Axis powers

You sound over your head, you should hire an IT person it would save you headache in the long run
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by adam c
    You sound over your head, you should hire an IT person it would save you headache in the long run

im volunteering for a non profit (even donate the hardware)- they had IT company, and they just charged them up the ass for things not delivered..

edit
    *UPDATE*
    Someone did call a local IT company and sent out a tech he didnt know what VLANS were, we expalined, he said he cant help.
    Last edited by thetransporter; 08-01-2015 at 01:33 AM.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by blairtruck
    i have no idea what most of your post is asking. but i will say that i have this netgear POE switch that has my 12 house drops for internet. and my 6 POE cameras. been running for almost a year without a problem.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAF.../dp/B00GSQ7IPU
    thank you
    just asking which switch to use
    to deliver a broad range of POE compatibility and VLAN .
    The simple dlink switch worked but did not pass VLAN

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

What do you mean when you say VLAN pass-through not working?

Can you perhaps explain your setup a bit better?

On the switch you create your VLANs and assign the VLANs to ports. If your port is configured as an access port, you just plugin your device and it will be on the VLAN assigned to that port. If a port is configured as a Trunk port, you would have to specify the VLAN ID on the device itself. On some devices you can specify which VLANs are allowed on a trunk port.

What are you doing that you need VLANs for? Are there multiple switches involved that need to be running the same VLANs? A diagram would be nice.

If you don't have a L3 switch you would need a router to route between the various VLANs. For example, at my place, I have my router connect to my switches via a trunk port that carries 3 VLANs, my router does the routing, and thus all 3 VLANs are able to talk between each other. On a L3 switch, you could assign a logical interface to a physical interface (for example, 192.168.10.1 for VLAN10) and that would become your gateway on a device you are connecting. Each VLAN would have it's own .1 address for example, and L3 switch would handle the inter-vlan traffic.

EDIT: Just read a little deeper into your post, and figured I should explain one more thing:

If you set a port as untagged, it becomes an ACCESS port, any device you plug into it would naturally end up on the VLAN that port is assigned. Can only carry one VLAN

If you set a port as tagged, it will be a TRUNK port, able to carry multiple VLANs across it, but you would have to specify the VLAN ID on the end device itself (not all devices can do this)
    Last edited by eblend; 07-31-2015 at 11:23 PM.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

sorry for not being more clear.

I use VLAN to push public IP from router to the network without running extra gigabit cat6 cable as the building is about 100 years old and VLAN works very well (directly to a PC or just cheap unmanned non poe switch (Poe seems to be irrelevant)

"If you set a port as tagged, it will be a TRUNK port, "
    thank you
    i tried that so many times, the VLAN NIC on the windows PC and Linux VLAN 2 both work when by passing the L2 POE switch)

i will keep trying and double checking what you said. I always set it as trunk.
    One switch that does work is a "carrier grade" UBNTR toughswitch, its managed i set the trunk ports, the POE is passive, i dont want to get written up if a apple users plugs a rj45 cable in to a port and burns his computer (this happened last year) but really i prefer non passive just standard POE like any other building/office

Setup
    Fiber Modem = DD-WRT ASUS router VLAN5 tagged to WAN port = and LAN Port one to Dlink POE switch (the undamaged model I specified) (VLAN breaks) TPLINK unmanaged non POE switch VLAN works (passthrough)

In testing - the switches were replaced and produced different results I have mentioned above.

Originally posted by eblend
    What do you mean when you say VLAN pass-through not working?

Can you perhaps explain your setup a bit better?

On the switch you create your VLANs and assign the VLANs to ports. If your port is configured as an access port, you just plugin your device and it will be on the VLAN assigned to that port. If a port is configured as a Trunk port, you would have to specify the VLAN ID on the device itself. On some devices you can specify which VLANs are allowed on a trunk port.

What are you doing that you need VLANs for? Are there multiple switches involved that need to be running the same VLANs? A diagram would be nice.

If you don't have a L3 switch you would need a router to route between the various VLANs. For example, at my place, I have my router connect to my switches via a trunk port that carries 3 VLANs, my router does the routing, and thus all 3 VLANs are able to talk between each other. On a L3 switch, you could assign a logical interface to a physical interface (for example, 192.168.10.1 for VLAN10) and that would become your gateway on a device you are connecting. Each VLAN would have it's own .1 address for example, and L3 switch would handle the inter-vlan traffic.

EDIT: Just read a little deeper into your post, and figured I should explain one more thing:

If you set a port as untagged, it becomes an ACCESS port, any device you plug into it would naturally end up on the VLAN that port is assigned. Can only carry one VLAN

If you set a port as tagged, it will be a TRUNK port, able to carry multiple VLANs across it, but you would have to specify the VLAN ID on the end device itself (not all devices can do this)