Quantcast
Tow truck driver hit, seriously injured on Deerfoot Trail - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tow truck driver hit, seriously injured on Deerfoot Trail

My Ride
    4Runner

Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC

500 bucks on a registry counter in the NE gets you a license. Police know this and do nothing to prevent it.
    Does this include motorcycle licences?

My Ride
    12 camaro ss ,91 aristo , 12 ram

I spend a majority of my day driving all around calgary. Drivers in the NW are just as bad as on the NE. Go to the south and stoney trail as well as deerfoot is full of retards that drive 10 below the speed limit in the far left lane. It is not one quadrent in the city.... Calgary has bad drivers everywhere!

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by roopi

It seems to me most people don't understand this law and as soon as they see an emergency vehicle all lanes slow down.
    THIS.

THIS is so god damn dangerous, so few people understand that only the adjacent lane has to slow down, but even on triple lanes, everyone just slams on their brakes. Drives me f*&king BONKERS

It would honestly just be better if the rule was everyone has to slow to *whatever speed*. Of course, what does speed have to do with this situation? To hit someone, you need to be aimed at them, not be going too fast. This accident has zero to do with speed.

It's the mentality that when people are in their cars they are king of the world and slowing down or stopping for an emergency is too much of an inconvenience and they can't afford to lose that 5-10 seconds. But when they go shopping or see a Dr. and wait in line for 5-10 minutes or even an hour, it doesn't bother them as much. It looks like the tow truck driver tried to not block the lane like the cops do with the half parking but maybe this would of saved him from being hit.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

500 bucks on a registry counter in the NE gets you a license. Police know this and do nothing to prevent it.
    Is this true? Because it honestly wouldn't fucking surprise me.

It's always brown people (No offense but its true) who are fucking up so badly too, and it's multiple times a day that I run into somebody who blatantly doesn't have a clue how to drive.. Sigh..

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by Mostwanted

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

If people wouldn't follow so close slowing down to 50 wouldn't be an issue, you would see the problem well ahead slow down gradually and continue on your way, but people slam on their brakes as they are 2 feet behind you causing problems. Following distance is the only problem people can't seem to grasp. Leave room and you will never have a problem. Ever.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Default Re: Slow down move the fuck over!!!

Originally posted by AndyL

You guys know CPS will blitz the 60zone passing stopped emergency vehicles now... That I'm looking forward to...
    I can't tell if you're saying this with disdain, or not. Anyhow, as they should. I can't tell the countless times I get ripped past. People don't seem to care, I'm just trying to do my job. Let the blitz begin
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Ford F150

Originally posted by theken
    If people wouldn't follow so close slowing down to 50 wouldn't be an issue, you would see the problem well ahead slow down gradually and continue on your way, but people slam on their brakes as they are 2 feet behind you causing problems. Following distance is the only problem people can't seem to grasp. Leave room and you will never have a problem. Ever.

During rush hour when things are slow, sure, I guess I can understand. But when cars are 10 feet apart going 100 that's just asking for trouble. Every time I leave distance in front of me, someone changes lanes into it. Every damn time.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

This right here, people follow WAY too close. I now ensure I leave a larger gap between the car in front of me so when traffic is stopped ahead I can gently tap my brakes and warn the idiot behind me to get on his brakes before I apply mine. I have been rear ended TEN (10) fucking times in this city because idiots don't pay any attention and follow too close. the conversation usually goes like this.

Idiot: "Sorry I didn't mean to hit you" (No fucking shit)
    Me: "Its ok, you're the XX person that has no clue how to drive defensively and has rear ended me in this city, sadly I am used to it"
    Idiot: Speechless.

As for this driver, I drove by shortly after it happened, it was a gong show. Car's pulled over all over the place, people slamming on their brakes, and there was at least 1 rear ender. I certainly hope the driver is okay.

People need to get the fuck off their cellphones and start paying attention to whats happening FURTHER ahead than the rear bumper of the car in front of them (the vehicle they are likely following way too close to).

/rant (sorry for the profanity, just fires me up thinking about these idiots)

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

Smith driving should be a must for all drivers. People generally look at bumper of the car in front of them and no further, then react soley based on that car. In reality you be looking 20-30 seconds ahead, your can still see the car in front of you if you look ahead but if you look at the car in front of you you can not see what's ahead.

You can only go as fast as the car in front of you even if they are 8 seconds ahead of you, all that can happen is you speed up then have to match their speed. Might as well stay back and not have to worry

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

Default Re: Re: Slow down move the fuck over!!!

Originally posted by TurboMedic

I can't tell if you're saying this with disdain, or not. Anyhow, as they should. I can't tell the countless times I get ripped past. People don't seem to care, I'm just trying to do my job. Let the blitz begin
    To be fair the Traffic Safety Act does a poor job of describing tow trucks as emergency vehicles. I think they should be included, but here's the current definition:

(m) “emergency vehicle” means
    (i) a vehicle operated by a police service as defined in
    the Police Act;
    (ii) a fire-fighting or other type of vehicle operated by
    the fire protection service of a municipality;
    (iii) an ambulance operated by a person or organization
    providing ambulance services;
    (iv) a vehicle operated as a gas disconnection unit of a
    public utility;
    (v) a vehicle designated by regulation as an emergency
    response unit;

Originally posted by BavarianBeast

90% of the people I run into up here are absolutely clueless.

it's multiple times a day that I run into somebody who blatantly doesn't have a clue how to drive..
    Dude, I think you need to stop running into people.

My Ride
    240sx

Originally posted by Mostwanted

if you need to pay for your motorcycle license your money is probably better spent on a course first!

My Ride
    4x4

Default Re: Re: Slow down move the fuck over!!!

Originally posted by TurboMedic

I'm looking forward to it. I did wreckmaster with deric. He's good people.

Towtruck cant just take a lane - gotta do proper lane closure(highway traffic act rules) - global TV pics show he was setting it up - pylons coming forward off his truck, would have been working behind them to set up the proper spacing (but never made it past his back corner...

My Ride
    2014 Fit Sport

Smith driving should be a must for all drivers. People generally look at bumper of the car in front of them and no further, then react soley based on that car. In reality you be looking 20-30 seconds ahead, your can still see the car in front of you if you look ahead but if you look at the car in front of you you can not see what's ahead.

You can only go as fast as the car in front of you even if they are 8 seconds ahead of you, all that can happen is you speed up then have to match their speed. Might as well stay back and not have to worry
    I've found Calgary drivers behave like a solid, attempting at all times to form tightly compacted masses of vehicles when they could behave like a gas and spread out to fill the available space.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Originally posted by firebane
    The sheer amount of stupidity and lack of common sense and road manners from drivers in this City is MIND boggling.

I was watching an ambulance come up behind a line of traffic at a red light and NOBODY was moving.. not one car.
    Funny enough I was in Houston this week and as I was walking down the street there was a fire truck with lights and sirens on that was stuck behind a single vehicle at an intersection for good amount of time. He had to lay on the horn for a good 45 seconds before the person even bothered to move This doesnt happen just in Calgary... it's everywhere.

Is this true? Because it honestly wouldn't fucking surprise me.

It's always brown people (No offense but its true) who are fucking up so badly too, and it's multiple times a day that I run into somebody who blatantly doesn't have a clue how to drive.. Sigh..
    100% true, a friend's parents did exactly this.

I also once dealt with a middle aged Asian woman who had a class 1 license, when I asked her what kind of trucks she drove she had no idea what I was talking about.
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 01-01-2017 at 01:43 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Ford F150

100% true

Within reason. For example, a white person can't get this deal. There was a school that offered "class 1 driver training" which consisted of no training and a fake road test, but they were busted.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast