Quantcast
Godly Nvidia 1080 preorders. - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Godly Nvidia 1080 preorders.

My Ride
    Grimace

^^^Yeah, saw that pricing. Lots of pricing lately well above currency exchange rates.

Yeah, newegg US is selling the RX at the price they are supposed to be at.

We are getting shafted here. I guessed this would happen last year so I got a cheapy $189 GTX 960 to tide me over until they decide to bring prices back down to earth.
    Cocoa $9,000 per tonne.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

was disappointed in the 1060 benchmarks so I sprung for the 1070.

I've never had a high end card before... good god it is glorious

My Ride
    06 S2000

I picked up a 1070, and swapped my dual 24" for triple 27"
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Model S

I got a 1080 FE. OC'd to the same wall that everyone seems to be hitting. So far I don't see why anyone would pay for a factory OC'd model given the limitations that FEs can hit anyway.

Have been out of PC gaming for quite a while. Hooking this up to my TV that does either 4k@60hz or 1080@120hz, well, not sure I can ever look at my xbox one or ps4 again.

Exactly what model of the 1070 are you guys going with? Are any of them the obvious choice at the moment? I would want the quietest one possible that had the largest threshold before the fan kicks in.

Also what happens to all the 970, 980, 980Ti, and TitanX cards that are currently grossly overpriced? They don't seem to be dropping in price at all and the 1070 outperforms all of them for either similar money or a lot less money.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Exactly what model of the 1070 are you guys going with? Are any of them the obvious choice at the moment? I would want the quietest one possible that had the largest threshold before the fan kicks in.

Also what happens to all the 970, 980, 980Ti, and TitanX cards that are currently grossly overpriced? They don't seem to be dropping in price at all and the 1070 outperforms all of them for either similar money or a lot less money.
    I've always gone with EVGA on Nvidia cards. Sprung for the FTW edition. The coolers seems to be similar across all different brands.

My Ride
    Grimace

Check the listings as there are many that have 0db fans so they don't spin up until it gets warm. On the 970, from my research the Asus Strix was the most quiet so that is what I bought. Not sure if that is the case on the 1070. Just buy the one that comes with the water cooler!

Originally posted by schocker
    Check the listings as there are many that have 0db fans so they don't spin up until it gets warm. On the 970, from my research the Asus Strix was the most quiet so that is what I bought. Not sure if that is the case on the 1070. Just buy the one that comes with the water cooler!
    Yeah MSI and EVGA both seem to advertise that 0db for low loads, so probably not a huge difference. I was also thinking the ones with 2 large fans would be quieter than 3 smaller ones.

I've always liked EVGA cards and never had a problem with them. They used to have lifetime warranties back in the day Asus has been good to me too and all their products seem very polished.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I opted for the EVGA SC w/ ACX 3.0

Threshhold was so low, the fans were off for the first bit. I use the precision software to custom tune the fans. I like them to kick in low.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Yeah MSI and EVGA both seem to advertise that 0db for low loads, so probably not a huge difference. I was also thinking the ones with 2 large fans would be quieter than 3 smaller ones.

I've always liked EVGA cards and never had a problem with them. They used to have lifetime warranties back in the day Asus has been good to me too and all their products seem very polished.
    I like asus, but have heard their support is garbage, so I am hesitant to buy them again (Even got a msi motherboard). Next time I would get evga most likely. Not sure also why the MSI cards are demanding such a price premium.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

I got the MSI GamingX 1070 cuz it was the last air cooled one MemEx NW had in stock. Other than that they just had the two water cooled MSI cards, the one closed loop cooler and one with a water block on it for a full system cooler.

It's basically silent, can't hear any difference in the fans when I'm gaming vs. when I'm not

I like asus, but have heard their support is garbage, so I am hesitant to buy them again (Even got a msi motherboard). Next time I would get evga most likely. Not sure also why the MSI cards are demanding such a price premium.
    Interesting. I have never experienced Asus support because everything I've ever bought from them has been absolutely flawless, but I would be disappointed if it sucked. That's why I tend to buy Asus, but I guess that might change if I had a negative customer service experience. I keep reading MSI is one of the "lower end" manufacturers but I have nothing to back that up with. Just seems to be a common perception as I read through forums. EVGA is my other go-to. I like their products and they tend to have excellent customer service. I just picked up an EVGA Supernova 650w P2 as well based on several reviews.

I see Memory Express just put their GTX 1060's up (They weren't yesterday when I checked). They start at $339 - the exact same price as the RX 480 8gb. EVGA SC edition $355.

Thinking of getting one actually. ~4 times faster than my 560 Ti, which already plays my games at 1440p as long as I don't turn on all the options. I wanted 8GB for Photoshop, but 6GB is probably fine (I have no clue how much it will use without testing it with a new card).

The $200 to a 1070 isn't a whole lot, but it's still significant if I'm not going to use it's power.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-22-2016 at 03:37 PM.

I sold one of my 1080s, no point in SLI I found, plus too few games actually support it that I play, so what's the point really. Got cost recovered less shipping, as I sold it when they were back ordered everywhere still.

Now I'm happy I did so, as the new Titan is coming in a couple weeks, so I'll be selling my remaining 1080 and getting that. VR only supports a single card, and I want the fastest I can get.

Got a Memex gift card for my birthday haha - looks like I can get the 1070 now instead of the 1060

Just got to wait for them to come in stock I guess.

Anyone know what the quietest and coolest 1070 is? I don't care if it's OC'd or whatever, I just want the highest threshold before the fans start. I read the EVGA and Gigabyte G1 are really quiet, but memory express doesn't even list the Gigabyte card.

My Ride
    Grimace

^^^http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums...69265&p=601890
    The MSI/EVGA/ASUS all look really quiet.

From this article:
    http://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php....html?start=17
    Looks like all about the same under load and 0 under idle.

^^^http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums...5&p=601890
    The MSI/EVGA/ASUS all look really quiet.

From this article:
    http://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php....html?start=17
    Looks like all about the same under load and 0 under idle.
    Thanks that's perfect.

Looks like they are close like you say. Surprising to see the Asus both the quietest, coolest, and least power hungry based on the German site. The Asus recommends a 100W higher power supply than anyone else. I have read the Asus is using an old heatsink design, and lots of people seem to complain about warranty service.

Then the other links from the forum show the Asus louder than pretty much everything else.

Looks like the EVGA card is the way to go and it also happens to be the cheapest. I am assuming the non-SC version is as quiet or quieter than the SC. They have the best support too.

Mitsu which 1070 did you end up picking up?

Originally posted by J.M.
    Mitsu which 1070 did you end up picking up?
    None yet - Memex hasn't had 1070 stock on the cards I want for 1-2 weeks now.

I am debating between the EVGA 1070 ($569) and the EVGA 1070 SC Edition ($599). EVGA seems to make the quietest version of this card, one of the coolest temperature-wise, and probably has the best customer support. Prices are on the cheap side of the spectrum too.

The 1060 is in the back of my mind still, but I think the extra performance and 2GB ram is worth the $200 premium considering how long I keep graphics cards for.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast