Quantcast
mystery wrapped in an enigma - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: mystery wrapped in an enigma

My Ride
    shit

Default mystery wrapped in an enigma

ok I have this car, it's a 1988 oldsmobile Delta 88 royal. It sat all winter long in a parking lot. the battery was dead so i replaced it. the car started right up. i drove it from from providence RI to Rehoboth MA. not sure how far it is ( its about a 45 minute drive) but it ran fine. the next day I start it up and it runs fine (untill i shut it off about 30 minutes later) later that day i start it up and it runs , but then it stalls. now I can barely get it started. it turns over but thats it except for once in a while it will start. But it won't stay running. if i dont press the gas it stalls, if i press the gass to hard it stalls, if i press the gas moderatly it runs - for about 1-2 minutes and then, you guessed it - it stalls. the fuel pump works. there is gas getting to the engine, the sparkplugs are sparking, and there is pressure to the system. the only thing i can think of is that the cold is screwing with something. but im not sure. could water in the fuel do that? someone suggested that it may be something or other with the crank but they were vague about it. if anyone has any advice I would apreciate it.

My Ride
    1995 Nissan 240SX

is the fuel old? maybe add some octane booster and high octane fuel to spice up the watered down stuff that has been sitting in the gas tank over winter..

max
    240 ka-t

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, The Milky Way . . .

yep. thats my call. some water, or other crud. get some additives and some fresh quality fuel in there. run a tank of 2 through, then change the fuel filter.

rico

My Ride
    '02 Mustang Gt, '90 LX Coupe

Is it a carb car? If so, it's possible that a piece of crud got in the bowl and is making the float stick, possibly flooding it. Just a wild guess.

-Matthew
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info