Quantcast
Century Rides, Fondos, Races, etc... - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Century Rides, Fondos, Races, etc...

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ya kinda thinking i'll carry a light pack and ditch the seat-pack..unsure at this point as i hate carrying extra weight, and theres an aid station @ 30, 50, 70, 90, 100 and 120 so it would mostly be used for storing any extra clothes. A gore jacket may well be needed with the current forecast..I don't trust going into the pass without one this time of year... too many things to worry about! At least if it's cold, there shouldn't be any chinook winds..

The 160 starts at 8:30, which currently is calling for -4 to 0... gross
    Yeah, that's my thought too. Just having my camel pack is gonna be more useful to carry my clothing when it starts to warm up and the weight difference isn't going to make or break me so convenience wins.

Also the saddle bag will just get in the way of my bike balls freely swinging away

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Thankfully the 160 turnaround is only at Picklejar Lakes...but could still be interesting

suspect the road is going to be wet the whole time...clothing choices getting more interesting by the day
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 09-21-2017 at 10:41 AM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

well, 24 hours out.. how does it typically sort for the starting line? This is my first group ride so what do I gotta know..?

Mass start. The hardcores that make up the front peloton will be at the very front, then it's kind of pandemonium on the road until it strings out a bit after the first 10km or so.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

^Exactly! The beginning is really slow going as everyone starts but it spreads out fast, usually the first hill haha
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    '14 Taco

ha ok sounds 'fun'. Still trying to figure out if i carry a small bag. Gonna be freezing till about half way up that black diamond hill, then overheatin

Here's a short clip from last year. Kind of gives you an idea what the start looks like.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Thanks for posting that. I really had no idea I was getting myself into. That's actually a lot more organized than I thought it was gonna be. I figured everyone was gonna be fighting to get through the gate.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

I think the fact that it's a 'ride' over a race makes quite the difference..... i have a feeling im maknig a last minute decision on layer tomorrow at the gate...

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I think the fact that it's a 'ride' over a race makes quite the difference..... i have a feeling im maknig a last minute decision on layer tomorrow at the gate...
    Yeah, that's why I'm not taking this that seriously. I figure I'll stay near the back half of the crowd and let the hardcore guys fight it out at the front cause I have no business being there anyways and once everyone spreads out, I'll pass who I'm supposed to pass.

That was the 100k start last year. The hardcore 160k left 10 minutes or so earlier. This year 160k group starts at 8:30 instead of 9.

I scaled back this year, and just signed up for 60k. Fighting a cold / cough right now. So that should be fun.

My Ride
    '21 Taco

I'll be wearing this tomorrow: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5049-099/Meno-2-Bibtights

Just got it when I picked up the bib. Thought I will use it anyway on cold days. Seems like it'll be appropriate for the temperature forecasted for tomorrow. What do you guys think?

Yeah, I'll be just somewhere around the back and just pass whom I can pass. I'm only doing 60k anyway for now. Gonna do some KMs in the trainer later just to keep the legs going.

See you all tomorrow
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

My Ride
    Model X Plaid

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
    Here's a short clip from last year. Kind of gives you an idea what the start looks like.

cool video man! how'd you get it to sync with your stats? thought i would see me but clearly was way behind

My Ride
    '15 Golf GTI, '10 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by jampack View Post
    I'll be wearing this tomorrow: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5049-099/Meno-2-Bibtights

Just got it when I picked up the bib. Thought I will use it anyway on cold days. Seems like it'll be appropriate for the temperature forecasted for tomorrow. What do you guys think?

Yeah, I'll be just somewhere around the back and just pass whom I can pass. I'm only doing 60k anyway for now. Gonna do some KMs in the trainer later just to keep the legs going.

See you all tomorrow
    I'll be wearing a similar setup. I've got the cold temperature covered, only real issue will be if it rains hard which is not expected (at the moment).

In previous events I've done the same in terms of the start - I just hang back, set my own pace and then pass once it thins out.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Pretty sure i'm going to be the most rag-tag guy out there on the 160... decided i have plenty of layers so not buying any cycling specific ones...we'll see how that goes

Ill be the guy in the mountaineering outfit https://www.outdoorresearch.com/ca/e.../2429050239010

Quote Originally Posted by kJUMP View Post
    cool video man! how'd you get it to sync with your stats? thought i would see me but clearly was way behind
    I have the Garmin Virb which records the Ant+ sensor data in a separate file. As for software, Garmin Virb Edit (free download). It has different styles and various gauges you can add and drag around. Others have used the same software to piece together video clips from GoPro and separate .fit / .gpx (not sure which one) files. The only tricky part is to sync up the start.

Pretty sure i'm going to be the most rag-tag guy out there on the 160... decided i have plenty of layers so not buying any cycling specific ones...we'll see how that goes

Ill be the guy in the mountaineering outfit https://www.outdoorresearch.com/ca/e.../2429050239010
    I'll represent rag tag in the 100. I literally have no cycling specific clothing.

What you really need to do is get the unzipped fleece flailing in the wind look going.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

The only cycling specific clothing I have are padded shorts, which I just got for this ride this week.

I don't care how much wind resistance it cuts down on. I am NOT wearing spandex.

In fact, the thought did cross my mind the other day to dress up as Josh Brolin in Goonies

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

well I guess you already have a set of nuts hanging.

I think I'm out this year. Heading to the game tonight, I'd probably have trouble waking up early tomorrow.
    Good luck guys and be careful out there.

Weather in Longview looks pretty cold tomorrow according to weather.com. 9 should be around 1 or 2 maybe getting up to 8 or 9 by the time the ride is done. Will be dressing warm for sure!

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast