Quantcast
Toyota Tacoma Mega Thread - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Tacoma Mega Thread

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Quote Originally Posted by nj2Type-S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i guess the tailgate doesn’t lock when i lock the doors. hmmm..i gotta keep that in mind lol.
    I got a pop-n-lock kit for mine. Not sure if they make that for 3rd gens.

Quote Originally Posted by OTown View Post
    I got a pop-n-lock kit for mine. Not sure if they make that for 3rd gens.
    i’ll have to look into it, thanks!

have you guys encountered having the engine light come on out of nowhere? toyota said it’s the gas cap and that it may not have been closed enough, but we haven’t even filled up yet. at least, that’s what they said when we took it in earlier this week.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

check the cap, if it comes on again get it read to find out what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    check the cap, if it comes on again get it read to find out what it is.
    i opened the fuel cap, closed it to ensure it’s on tight and the engine light is still on. the cap itself seemed to be in good condition as it is a brand new vehicle.

also, i tried activating the cruise control and the indicator didn’t show that cruise control is on. i pressed the cruise on/off switch a bunch of times, and it didn’t do anything.

i’m going to have to go back to the dealership again this week. pretty frustrating as this truck is only a week old and already, i’ve gotta go back to the dealership again lol. this is not a good start for me owning a toyota haha!

also, i tried activating the cruise control and the indicator didn’t show that cruise control is on. i pressed the cruise on/off switch a bunch of times, and it didn’t do anything.
    I think the indicator comes on once you set the speed. Congrats on the truck

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

i opened the fuel cap, closed it to ensure it’s on tight and the engine light is still on. the cap itself seemed to be in good condition as it is a brand new vehicle.

i’m going to have to go back to the dealership again this week. pretty frustrating as this truck is only a week old and already, i’ve gotta go back to the dealership again lol. this is not a good start for me owning a toyota haha!
    I know 2018s have the Safety Sense now and you should have Radar Cruise as well as "Normal" cruise? Could it be something to do with that? Does the manual say anything about 2 different modes and if there's a set way to activate each? Sorry to hear about your issues. Hopefully the engine check thing is a minor issue. Only way to know is to get the code read.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    I know 2018s have the Safety Sense now and you should have Radar Cruise as well as "Normal" cruise? Could it be something to do with that? Does the manual say anything about 2 different modes and if there's a set way to activate each? Sorry to hear about your issues. Hopefully the engine check thing is a minor issue. Only way to know is to get the code read.
    there is a way to operate the cruise control with OR without the dynamic cruise control function. however, there should be a light indicator that illuminates when i turn cruise control “on”. i’ve tried just pressing on and holding onto the “on” button, but nothing happens.

as for the engine light, i’m fairly convinced that it’s just a fuel cap issue. we took the truck to the dealership on monday, and they were able to resolve it, and reminded me to ensure the fuel cap is on tightly. the light turned on again just yesterday without me even touching the fuel cap since they’ve solved the issue. the garage smells like fuel, too, so i’m pretty sure there’s a leak somewhere. i’m not a mechanic, though, soo..haha!

i’ve owned 2 acuras brand new from the dealership prior to this toyota, and i only started running into any issue after a couple of years of ownership. maybe i should’ve gone with the ridgeline...haha just kidding lol.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Had the same problem on another car (engine light and garage smelling like gas) and replacing the gas cap fixed the issue. The gas cap I replace looked 100% fine but it wasn't sealing 100%.

My Ride

there is a way to operate the cruise control with OR without the dynamic cruise control function. however, there should be a light indicator that illuminates when i turn cruise control “on”. i’ve tried just pressing on and holding onto the “on” button, but nothing happens.

as for the engine light, i’m fairly convinced that it’s just a fuel cap issue. we took the truck to the dealership on monday, and they were able to resolve it, and reminded me to ensure the fuel cap is on tightly. the light turned on again just yesterday without me even touching the fuel cap since they’ve solved the issue. the garage smells like fuel, too, so i’m pretty sure there’s a leak somewhere. i’m not a mechanic, though, soo..haha!

i’ve owned 2 acuras brand new from the dealership prior to this toyota, and i only started running into any issue after a couple of years of ownership. maybe i should’ve gone with the ridgeline...haha just kidding lol.
    It could definitely be the cap then. Did your engine light come back after the truck sat for 5 hours or more? Tacomas run a fuel system leak check after about 5 hours of sitting still. You will catch the truck buzzing in the garage after it has sat for 5 hours. That's the fuel system check. If it finds a fault it will throw a code at startup.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    It could definitely be the cap then. Did your engine light come back after the truck sat for 5 hours or more? Tacomas run a fuel system leak check after about 5 hours of sitting still. You will catch the truck buzzing in the garage after it has sat for 5 hours. That's the fuel system check. If it finds a fault it will throw a code at startup.
    the CEL came on yesterday afternoon. i parked it overnight and the CEL is still on today.

any idea on the cruise control? i guess i’ll just have to wait for tomorrow to call the dealership. hopefully, it’ll be a quick fix.

My Ride

Don't know what the cruise issue could be. I suspect however it may be related to the new Safety Sense equipment that they started to put on these trucks for 2018. Let us know what the dealer says.

the CEL came on yesterday afternoon. i parked it overnight and the CEL is still on today.

any idea on the cruise control? i guess i’ll just have to wait for tomorrow to call the dealership. hopefully, it’ll be a quick fix.
    Best course of action is to scan it (or have the dealer look at it of course). CEL could be hundreds of items and a quick scan will let you know exactly what’s going on. A basic scanner is about $30 at princess auto. Or free at autovalue if you have them scan it.

I personally have a scanner in every vehicle. Nothing worse than getting stuck on the side of the road due to a simple roadside fixable problem but having to get a tow because you can’t pull the code.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

It's a new truck, the dealership should be pulling it for free, no questions asked

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Some vehicles won't allow cruise to work if there is a CEL. its probably related.

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    Some vehicles won't allow cruise to work if there is a CEL. its probably related.
    that’s exactly what the service rep told me over the phone. i’m on the way to the dealership now, so i hope to get everything resolved soon.

so...i had to leave the truck with them overnight. seems to be more than just a fuel cap issue. this is pretty disappointing, to say the least. ah well...somebody’s gotta get the crap end of the stick...lol.

so...i had to leave the truck with them overnight. seems to be more than just a fuel cap issue. this is pretty disappointing, to say the least. ah well...somebody’s gotta get the crap end of the stick...lol.
    What did they say it was?

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    What did they say it was?
    there were no issues with the truck from toyota, afterall. we had a tonneau cover installed a couple of hours after we bought the truck at auto truck depot on macleod. they basically had to drill a couple of holes into the bed for the drain tubes, and i guess they punctured the fuel fill tubing; that explains the fuel smell in my garage.

anyway, long story short, auto truck depot will re-imburse me for the amount toyota is charging me for diagnostics, they’ll get the fill tube fixed, and for the trouble, they’re giving me a pretty good discount on a grille guard. this looks pretty bad-ass, but i don’t know if i wanna attract too much attention to the truck haha!

https://www.ariesautomotive.com/part/2068
    Last edited by nj2Type-S; 03-27-2018 at 05:21 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Happy ending
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Looks like a damage multiplier to me... what are you guarding from

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast