Quantcast
Made by Google 2018 - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Made by Google 2018

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Without a side by side comparison of the P20 and Pixel 3 XL night shot modes we can't really come to any conclusions. Those looked like some quick samples in some guy's office, not a controlled test, and for that it looked pretty good.

They are just long exposures, which is nothing new, but the stabilization techniques that allow it are impressive.
    Yea, just looked like typical low light shots, not even outdoor night shots, with way too much noise to be really usable for anything outside of Facebook. Fucking P20 is like seeing in the dark with magic long exposures with no noise. Google and Apple need to copy that shit stat. Believe me, if anything is comparable, we'd all be circle jerking ourselves over it.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    an econo box

I have the iPhone XS and P20 Pro. The night mode on the the P20 Pro is something to behold. Though the XS is no slouch either. Here's a couple of shots I took at work. Not totally dark environment but dark enough that most phone cameras would struggle and the image would be quite noisy.

First is from the XS of the new airport Hotel:

Name:  IMG_0034.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  56.3 KB

And here's a pic of a 737MAX from the P20 Pro in night mode:

Name:  IMG_20181012_211050.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  86.2 KB

With video recording though, nothing touches the iPhone XS. Especially now they finally have stereo audio recording.

EDIT: It's hard to convey just how sharp and clean the P20 Pro image is on the forum upload.
    Last edited by KrisYYC; 10-25-2018 at 10:33 AM.

At web size, everything looks good - do you have links to the full size JPEGs? I believe you, I am just curious.

RE: video recording - all smartphone mics are so poor that you would only really use them as a last resort if taking any kind of serious video. Same deal with cameras. The Pixels natively support external mics, I am not sure about the iPhone XS.

Also I didn't know AC had the 737 MAX's yet - that is awesome. Do you know what route it flies?
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-25-2018 at 10:48 AM.

My Ride
    an econo box

At web size, everything looks good - do you have links to the full size JPEGs? I believe you, I am just curious.

RE: video recording - all smartphone mics are so poor that you would only really use them as a last resort if taking any kind of serious video. Same deal with cameras. The Pixels natively support external mics, I am not sure about the iPhone XS.

Also I didn't know AC had the 737 MAX's yet - that is awesome. Do you know what route it flies?
    Hopefully this works: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar9QKGEBBkfcgttZEj9SKbFwX6V2nQ

And AC has 18 737 MAX's now! Out of YYC they are only on the YYZ runs, but this winter they'll operate the Hawaii flights and some others.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisYYC View Post
    Hopefully this works: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar9QKGEBBkfcgttZEj9SKbFwX6V2nQ

And AC has 18 737 MAX's now! Out of YYC they are only on the YYZ runs, but this winter they'll operate the Hawaii flights and some others.
    It does work - thanks.

Huawei is using a crazy amount of noise reduction on those (which is why it looks so "clean" but also like an oil painting when zoomed in) and there are ghosting artifacts around the edges presumably from not using a tripod. I am scrutinizing it though - viewed at any normal size it looks great and that is impressive for a smartphone.

18 wow - I thought they were newer than that but I guess not!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

iPhones and iPads have had external mic support since forever.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    iPhones and iPads have had external mic support since forever.
    Awesome

Unfortunately now that probably means a USB-C / Lightning dongle mic haha - in both cases.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Awesome

Unfortunately now that probably means a USB-C / Lightning dongle mic haha - in both cases.
    Actually there were dongles before, because USB mics were drawing too much power and wouldn't work so people would rig it up with a USB3 hub to power the mic separately from the iOS device. With native lightning port, which can power the device, that's no longer a problem as external mics are designed to draw power and provide digital audio via lightning. I don't think (or remember) but 3.5mm mics were never supported.

iOS mics are nice and clean. Wouldn't expect anything less when USB-C mics comes out.

Name:  iphone-7-mics.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  174.3 KB

My Ride
    an econo box

18 wow - I thought they were newer than that but I guess not!
    They came fast and furious. 18 delivered within about 9 months.

Speaking of audio, I'm a bit disappointed in how bad the Pixel 3 audio recording is at least based on reviews. I know if you're serious about audio you use an external mic, but the sound from the Pixel 3 is garbage. If that's a hardware thing and not fixable with an update, and it's as bad as it sounds in the reviews that's a big letdown.
    Last edited by KrisYYC; 10-25-2018 at 12:21 PM.

They came fast and furious. 18 delivered within about 9 months.

Speaking of audio, I'm a bit disappointed in how bad the Pixel 3 audio recording is at least based on reviews. I know if you're serious about audio you use an external mic, but the sound from the Pixel 3 is garbage. If that's a hardware thing and not fixable with an update, and it's as bad as it sounds in the reviews that's a big letdown.
    It depends on your standards I guess, but every built-in mic is garbage. Same deal with actual cameras - even the best cameras with stereo mics are garbage. The stereo mics on my $4500 DSLR are garbage, as are the mics on my Sony RX100 VA (very popular vlogging camera). The built-in mics are basically to just give you something instead of nothing, or to use in a pinch.

I've read the Pixel 3 mics were an improvement from the Pixel 2 (which was fine for casual videos), but I don't have my 3XL yet to test myself. In the past, google has improved mic quality with firmware updates, so if it's really that bad there is still hope. Everyone seems to be referencing a single YouTube video so we'll need to wait for widespread testing. Every phone has it's weak points, if this is the XL3's I'm OK with that since the workaround is the preferred option anyway.

I don't have the new iPhone XS but the audio recording quality on my iPhone 8 and iPad Pro is horrid in my opinion (same as my XL2), so I don't think anyone does a stand out job with it. I'll have to wait and see I guess - if my phone ever ships haha.

My Ride
    an econo box

It depends on your standards I guess, but every built-in mic is garbage. Same deal with actual cameras - even the best cameras with stereo mics are garbage. The stereo mics on my $4500 DSLR are garbage, as are the mics on my Sony RX100 VA (very popular vlogging camera). The built-in mics are basically to just give you something instead of nothing, or to use in a pinch.

I've read the Pixel 3 mics were an improvement from the Pixel 2 (which was fine for casual videos), but I don't have my 3XL yet to test myself. In the past, google has improved mic quality with firmware updates, so if it's really that bad there is still hope. Everyone seems to be referencing a single YouTube video so we'll need to wait for widespread testing. Every phone has it's weak points, if this is the XL3's I'm OK with that since the workaround is the preferred option anyway.

I don't have the new iPhone XS but the audio recording quality on my iPhone 8 and iPad Pro is horrid in my opinion (same as my XL2), so I don't think anyone does a stand out job with it. I'll have to wait and see I guess - if my phone ever ships haha.

I'm comparing to other built in smartphone mics. None of them are great but some are at least decent enough to take a spontaneous video that turns out OK. The samples I've seen so far from the Pixel 3 have great video quality, and excellent stabilization but then the audio sounds like it came from a $100 BLU phone or something.

The audio on the iPhone XS is a big improvement over the iPhone 8.

Anyway we'll see when I actually get my Pixel 3. I'm hoping it's not as bad as the reviews show, or it's at least fixable via software update. The actual video quality looks great.

Speaking of shipping, a buddy who pre-ordered the Pixel 3 during the keynote just had his delivery date pushed back by a week

Speaking of shipping, a buddy who pre-ordered the Pixel 3 during the keynote just had his delivery date pushed back by a week
    That's when I ordered mine too and I have the latest delivery date in this thread haha - hopefully they still get bumped up. I don't think I've ever heard of them rolling it back before - hopefully not!!

My Ride
    V8s

My date just got pushed from Nov 9 to Nov 16-19 :'(

Edit: Just got bumped again, now Nov 6 haha.
    Last edited by bjstare; 10-28-2018 at 03:01 PM.

Google billed my credit card on Oct 26th which should hopefully mean shipping is imminent.

My CC company initially flagged it as fraud, so I had to spend an hour on the phone with Google trying to get them to reinstate my order but I finally was able to fix the issue myself. The Google Rep also said that initial demand was much higher than expected and they are having supply issues.

Just as I suspected my delivery date just got bumped up to Nov 6-7 I also paid for the fastest shipping, but I have no idea if that had anything to do with it.

My Ride
    V8s

I also got billed. Guess it's coming soon.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Hey guys heres a really quick comparison of the P20 pro and the pixel 3 xl both using night mode. Crappy iphone was to illustrate how dark my yard is even with my neighbors garage light flooding over a bit.

Few things to point out - p20 night mode takes over 15 seconds to capture whereas the P3XL takes about 5 seconds. Sorry for the sideways image.. my google drive stores pictures really weird sometimes and i dont know how to rotate in drive.

These pics are not filtered at all. This is just the standard night mode setting point and shoot. Phones were rested on the deck but still got a bit of blur.

If you guys want more comparisons i can do a more thorough job for testing.

Iphone 6s

P20 pro

Pixel 3 XL w/ Night Mode

I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    06 S2000

Looks like the Pixel 3 has a lot more noise/higher ISO?
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Both look pretty horrid to be honest (that is extremely dark) but at least the Pixel version is usable. Huawei is using crazy amounts of NR (the amount of motion blur makes the image unusable anyway), Google's is noiser but has no blur, a way better NR algorithm and way more detail. The Google version also has a much better exposure.

Google's version is also not final yet so at the moment it's beta Pixel software vs final Huawei software. Between the two samples above I would take the Pixel version every day of the week. Some noise with detail is always better than a blurry mess.

My Ride
    an econo box

So I got pre-auth on my credit card a few days ago. Made sense as my delivery date for my Pixel stand was moved up to November 2nd. But now it says "Your delivery was delayed. We're working to get it to you soon and will email you when it's on its way."

My Pixel 3 still shows delivery of November 7-8. I hope the same doesn't happen with it.

I can't believe a company the size of Google can be so bush league with a product launch. Holy god.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast