Quantcast
Car2Go Shutting Down Service in Calgary Oct 31 2019 - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Car2Go Shutting Down Service in Calgary Oct 31 2019

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Heard from a Commercial real estate guy that downtown tower vacancies are close to 25% right now. I think that includes all the space available for sub-lease, although I don't really know.

I can park on level 2 of James short parkade even if I show up late for work at 8:30AM. It's been a few years since I parked on this side of downtown, but I think most days at 8:30 you'd be lucky to get space in there at all, and if you did, it would be Level 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

My Ride
    Lease

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    It's very quiet now that everyone is burning their holidays before Christmas, but it doesn't feel that vacant on a normal day IMHO. +15's are packed when it's cold out and you can easily wait 10-20 minutes for food at lunch hour if you go to a popular spot. Street parking is always full and all the good/cheap parkades are full for the most part unless you want to pay $400-500+ a month. What you don't see is how empty some office buildings are though, my understanding is some of them are half full or so if they were built during the busier times. My building is full to my knowledge, but I have heard buildings like Brookfield and The Bow are struggling to find tenants. I'm sure it was busier in 2013/14 with $90-100 oil but in my opinion it's not as dead as some people would have you believe. I go for a long walk every lunch hour that I don't have to work through, and I could barely walk through the CORE Mall today because of all the xmas shoppers.
    Yeah true. I only eat at +15 maybe 1-2 a month and notice what you’re saying. (Don’t know anything about the office real estate end of things). What’s fascinates me is how busy would +15 and the eatery and parking if dt (back then?) or in future back to full capacity. (I moved dt from the suburbs two years ago; 28 years in dirty south. So know nothing about the dt scene)

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Heard from a Commercial real estate guy that downtown tower vacancies are close to 25% right now. I think that includes all the space available for sub-lease, although I don't really know.

I can park on level 2 of James short parkade even if I show up late for work at 8:30AM. It's been a few years since I parked on this side of downtown, but I think most days at 8:30 you'd be lucky to get space in there at all, and if you did, it would be Level 5.
    Are people still doing the $4/day trick there? Had some coworkers doing that at my previous job that got nailed with ~2 months worth of tickets all at once. I used to park there when it was busier and I always got a spot at 8-830 but it was on P4 or whatever the bottom is.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Are people still doing the $4/day trick there? Had some coworkers doing that at my previous job that got nailed with ~2 months worth of tickets all at once. I used to park there when it was busier and I always got a spot at 8-830 but it was on P4 or whatever the bottom is.
    I don't think there's an effective trick for the city parkades anymore. They camera you on the way in and out, so you can't really beat the computer. Or if you can, I don't know about it.

I don't think there's an effective trick for the city parkades anymore. They camera you on the way in and out, so you can't really beat the computer. Or if you can, I don't know about it.
    You used to be able to pay the minimum on the way in (3.50) and the minimum on the way out (0.50). The cameras don't talk to eachother so as long as you had an active payment when you exited you were good to go. At some point they either fixed the system or did a giant manual audit and sent out tons of tickets to people, so they at least know about it, but I don't know if they are continually enforcing it. Basically if you ever see someone pay at the machine, then go down to their car, they're doing that haha.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

You used to be able to pay the minimum on the way in (3.50) and the minimum on the way out (0.50). The cameras don't talk to eachother so as long as you had an active payment when you exited you were good to go. At some point they either fixed the system or did a giant manual audit and sent out tons of tickets to people, so they at least know about it, but I don't know if they are continually enforcing it. Basically if you ever see someone pay at the machine, then go down to their car, they're doing that haha.
    Wonder if I'll get a ticket. I went to do parkplus but was out of funds so figured id top it up at my desk then forget. About 2 hours went by then paid for parking. It's the full day anyways so I'd assume its fine.

Also does that mean if I cancel my session as I'm walking to my car I'm in for a bad time? I hate that its 22$ but it charges you 25$ if you forget to manually cancel the session.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, the cost of a ticket is only $40, so it's not particularly punishing if you are wrong, once . . . .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Also does that mean if I cancel my session as I'm walking to my car I'm in for a bad time? I hate that its 22$ but it charges you 25$ if you forget to manually cancel the session.
    YOu can cancel like 10 minutes early. I cancel mine on my walk to the parkade. No issues.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Well, the cost of a ticket is only $40, so it's not particularly punishing if you are wrong, once . . . .

- - - Updated - - -

YOu can cancel like 10 minutes early. I cancel mine on my walk to the parkade. No issues.
    Thats good to know. Because if I don't cancel it walking to my car then I always forget and it rolls over to the evening rates as well. So stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Wonder if I'll get a ticket. I went to do parkplus but was out of funds so figured id top it up at my desk then forget. About 2 hours went by then paid for parking. It's the full day anyways so I'd assume its fine.

If you didn't pay at the start, that will likely mean a ticket. I think there is a 30 minute grace period and if it doesn't see your license plate exit the parkade, a ticket is generated. Before, no checks were performed in-between, so you could just pay at the start and at the end. At least on some level, they were aware of what people were doing but I am not sure if it was the computers or a manual audit that caught it. I've got the odd ticket in there before when I forgot to pay, they come 1-2 weeks later in the mail, it's not very fast. $40 + $3 online pay fee.

Problem is that there's a ton of new space added over the last few years.

Take away Brookfield, Telus and the ridiculous PCC building and there wouldn't be enough office space downtown.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The published numbers do not include sub-lease from my understanding. Nobody knows the real number as it's not even tabulated, but it's estimated to be around 35-40%.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

https://dailyhive.com/edmonton/share...-north-america

In a statement to Daily Hive, SHARE NOW spokesperson Tiffany Young said vehicles in impacted cities will be sold off. They will not, however, be made available for sale to the general public.

Good riddance as far as I'm concerned - I always had issues with their GPS service and just used Uber for the most part anyway.

There's also now way more street parking DT.
    It'll just be converted into scooter parking and bicycle lanes.
    Will fuck off, again.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6