Quantcast
Limited Slip Diff - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Limited Slip Diff

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Weapon_R

I'll let you know when I go and check it out. I think its an aftermarket one, but an LSD nonetheless.

btw - what is a phatom grip? An LSD? Whats so bad about it? Isn't an lsd an lsd?
    theres different kinds of lsds. some use gears, some use clutchpacks, some use hydraulics....theres also different settings...like how much the lsd locks under what conditions etc..

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

LSD Ownz, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, so thats that
    Travel

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Benny
    LSD Ownz, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, so thats that
    heh yea, get ben to give u a ride thru the mud fields around my house and u will see how awesome fwd lsds are!

Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
    nope. in an open diff, only the inside wheel will spin. an lsd will "lock" and make BOTH wheels spin.

and an un-powered outside wheel wont slow anything down a car only slows down when u put the brakes on
    whoops, made an error in that last post, the first time I said open diff, I meant to say LSD.

And an Un-powered wheel WILL slow you down when drifting laterally or losing traction in understeer. Why is it so easy to drift in RWD when you're giving it throttle? Its cause when the wheels are spinning, they have less friction to stop the car from drifting sideways, if you're not giving it throttle at all then it won't drift near as easily. My point is that in many situations, the open diff is just safer and more predictable for all but advanced drivers. I didn't get an LSD on my truck for this reason. It's hard enough to handle as it is, and in an emergency situation, the open diff helps.
    Last edited by T5_X; 10-17-2002 at 03:51 PM.
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Ranger_X31

whoops, made an error in that last post, the first time I said open diff, I meant to say LSD.

And an Un-powered wheel WILL slow you down when drifting laterally or losing traction in understeer. Why is it so easy to drift in RWD when you're giving it throttle? Its cause when the wheels are spinning, they have less friction to stop the car from drifting sideways, if you're not giving it throttle at all then it won't drift near as easily. My point is that in many situations, the open diff is just safer and more predictable for all but advanced drivers. I didn't get an LSD on my truck for this reason. It's hard enough to handle as it is, and in an emergency situation, the open diff helps.
    an lsd on a fwd is way different than on a rwd.

now i think u are confusing a spinning wheel with an unpowered wheel. an "unpowered wheel" is still free-spinning, but just not receiving power from the engine. a "spinning wheel" as we're using it now, is a free-spinning wheel that is receiving power from the engine. in BOTH cases, the wheel is still free spinning. when a wheel is free spinning, it does not aid in slowing a car down. pretty much NOTHING will aid a car in slowing down in snow (other than good tires). what an LSD can do that an open differential cant is pull the car in the direction that the driver is steering, given that the throttle is open.

just think, in a turn, the outside wheel has more grip than the inside wheel (due to body roll) so if the engines power were to be directed at that wheel, then the car has a better chance of turning than if the power were to be sent to the inside wheel (which is what happens with an open diff)

Ditto on what Jeff said!
    I know you don't smoke weed. I know this. But I'm gonna git you high today. 'cause it's Friday, you ain't got no job, and you ain't got shit to do!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2