Quantcast
New Japanese Restaurant - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Japanese Restaurant

I can't speak for Guu but an "Izakaya" is a place where they have tons of appetizers but little or no main dishes. In Japan, it's a place where salaried men go after work to drink and eat.

Haven't seen one in Canada but it definitely wouldn't be classified as a typical bar.

My Ride
    Burton Tadashi Fuse 154

climer has it right, Guu is a tiny "Hapa Izakaya" style restaurant which serves japanese appetizers. Most items are cooked and very unique (my fave is the fried udon noodles and the fried chicken with tartar sauce).

Here's an excellent article: http://www.vanmag.com/0302/diner.html

And quote: "Hapa Izakaya (literally “Leaf Bistro,” although Hapa is also a common Hawaiian adjective meaning bi-racial—in this case, half-Japanese and half-Canadian) "

I too am waiting for an Izakaya to open here, Vancouver has a bunch including Gyoza King, Hapa Izakaya (under renovations when I was there b4 xmas) and Guu's sister Guu with Garlic. All these are on Robson. Theres a few more too. And if you ever try go to Guu, don't confuse Guu with Gyu Teppenyaki (owned by the Tropika group) on Alberni. They're good too tho

(woohoo my 1st post! luv talkin bout food...)

My Ride
    Germanrific - 1/4/5/6/A/C/E/R

Originally posted by DowntownCowboy
    climer has it right, Guu is a tiny "Hapa Izakaya" style restaurant which serves japanese appetizers. Most items are cooked and very unique (my fave is the fried udon noodles and the fried chicken with tartar sauce).

Here's an excellent article: http://www.vanmag.com/0302/diner.html

And quote: "Hapa Izakaya (literally “Leaf Bistro,” although Hapa is also a common Hawaiian adjective meaning bi-racial—in this case, half-Japanese and half-Canadian) "

I too am waiting for an Izakaya to open here, Vancouver has a bunch including Gyoza King, Hapa Izakaya (under renovations when I was there b4 xmas) and Guu's sister Guu with Garlic. All these are on Robson. Theres a few more too. And if you ever try go to Guu, don't confuse Guu with Gyu Teppenyaki (owned by the Tropika group) on Alberni. They're good too tho

(woohoo my 1st post! luv talkin bout food...)
    i miss guu...i need some asap!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2