Quantcast
BIG speeding ticket - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: BIG speeding ticket

My Ride
    xs11

Default a1 defence

Thanks for the info about your dad, Steve. I'll definately give him a call. Must be nice to have your dad as an expert to fight tix for you. I'm wondering, does the traffic school appease the crown, or is it the insurance companys that give the break for attending it?

Am I the only one who thinks he deserves this for going 180+KM/H on a street with other drivers (As evident by another biker motioning him) during a possibly busy time (Busy enough they have radar out)?

And that maybe a suspension will give him time to think about what he could have caused - his own death and the death of others.

My Ride
    GT TDi

kenethf:

if i were you, i'd go get the speedo checked, because it was probably off...

you know, you thought you were going maybe 120 or so.

trust me, thats all you need to get your ticket changed to that speed, and not bother with points, but ya, assuming your speedo is/will be off, lol.
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

^

You cant "accidentally" go 180 km/h without noticing it. Unless you regularly ride/drive that fast.

This guy just finally got caught, realized the severity of his habits and is now trying to find an easy way out of it. Hopefully he wastes his money on POINTS and still ends up with a suspension.
    Last edited by sputnik; 08-05-2004 at 11:18 AM.

My Ride
    GT TDi

Originally posted by sputnik

You cant "accidentally" go 180 km/h without noticing it. Unless you regularly ride/drive that fast.
    LOL! I guess thats how i got my big ticket in ponoka. oh well, turned out my speedo was faulty, buahahaha.

on another note... i love my laptop.

bart 1, ponoka 0.
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Wait... i don't get this...

I've just been skimming thru...
    but let's go thu what I read.

1) Buddy here goes what his speedo says is 180 down a 80 click area
    2) Cop pulls him over and tickets him saying he went 183 km/h

WTF does this have to do with a faulty speedo?
    If it ws faulty and was over registerig the speed, like he was actually going 180 and his the meter was off, thus displaying 120.

How are you goin to still fight that?

"I'm sorry, I didn't know I was going 180 down a 80 click zone. I thought I was going 120"

And even if you still get off by somehow feeding some grease monkey under the table and having him write you a "faulty speedometer note", can't you also be charged with a "driving an unsafe vehichle"

Plz, you didn't kill anyone going that fast, try to be humble and don't sound like you're bragging.

My Ride
    Highlander

Originally posted by TrevorK
    Am I the only one who thinks he deserves this for going 180+KM/H on a street with other drivers (As evident by another biker motioning him) during a possibly busy time (Busy enough they have radar out)?

And that maybe a suspension will give him time to think about what he could have caused - his own death and the death of others.
    Actually I agree with you, especially since he said in his first post he's already had 2 speeding tickets, but he asked for people with our opinions to stay out of it so I've just been reading, observing and shaking my head
    Last edited by Melinda; 08-05-2004 at 03:11 PM.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Motorcycles get special treatement.

180 is gravy. The guy in an Expedition doing 120 on glenmore during busy traffic, lane changing back and forth is far more dangerous than a lone biker doing a brief high speed run. Spirit of the law, people. He deserves a fine, sure, but not a suspension.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    Highlander

Originally posted by Khyron
    Motorcycles get special treatement.

180 is gravy. The guy in an Expedition doing 120 on glenmore during busy traffic, lane changing back and forth is far more dangerous than a lone biker doing a brief high speed run. Spirit of the law, people.

Khyron
    Right, cause people who drive like a-holes on their bikes are angels behind the wheel of a car

My Ride

In your car you can afford to have someone tailgating you - a new bumper for you if he hits you. On a bike a tap is fatal. So is cruising beside ANY vehicle because no one checks for bikes. That's why they blast past you to get to a comfortable spot with no-one on either side.

And if anything, I would say bike riders are MORE careful behind the wheel than the average driver - not less.

By speeding on a bike, excluding some really bizarre condition, the only one at danger is himself.

Khyron

Default Re: demerits-good, suspention-bad

Originally posted by kenethf
    Does anyone think it's possible to just not bargain at all and go for the full not guilty plea...
    Hell no!

Fight it. Show up in court. Make sure they do their part. Don't just go "ok" and live with it. You're not likely to get off the hook, but to minimize the damage is now the name of the game.

Really it's just barely 100km/h over the limit. Maybe you can use that..."Look Judge, it's not like I was triple the limit or anything! And, hell, I stopped for the pig too!"

So, me going 275km/h in a 100 zone would be bad then? Jesus, I haven't done that since I was in my early twenties...LMAO

snip..........So is cruising beside ANY vehicle because no one checks for bikes. That's why they blast past you to get to a comfortable spot with no-one on either side.

And if anything, I would say bike riders are MORE careful behind the wheel than the average driver - not less. ..........snip
    So I guess if they continue blasting by everyone so they are never beside someone is being more careful? Odd.

I find that most bikers that are on sportsbikes seem to have a complexity about driving at a resonable speed (10 over the limit is my definition). Passing people left right and center....gets annoying and dangerous pretty quick. Sure have fun on Glenmore or Crowchild Tr or whatever going fast in the left lane, but coming down busy places like Memorial Dr where it's packed full of cars makes me shake my head.

Anyways, back on topic.....sucks to be you that got caught. Next time, do a high speed run away from the city in a less busy spot. Ah well, good luck with fighting any suspensions.

My Ride
    GT TDi

i seriously doubt something will happening to someone when a bike slams into the back of their car when its going 100km/h faster than they are. but maybe i have a small imagination.
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

In your car you can afford to have someone tailgating you - a new bumper for you if he hits you. On a bike a tap is fatal. So is cruising beside ANY vehicle because no one checks for bikes. That's why they blast past you to get to a comfortable spot with no-one on either side.

And if anything, I would say bike riders are MORE careful behind the wheel than the average driver - not less.

By speeding on a bike, excluding some really bizarre condition, the only one at danger is himself.

Khyron
    So a bike going 120+ loses control, slams into the concrete median, parts fly all over the place.

You telling me a tire through your windshield won't hurt you?

My Ride

I'm not saying it won't - I'm saying a wreckless bike driver is far LESS of a danger to others, but certainly far from harmless. Bike drivers also don't have distractions like cell phones, makeup, books, passengers, radios, cigarettes etc.

Even when you take into account the total ratio of cars to bikes, the injuries to 3rd parties when dealing with bikes is almost non existant compared to cars. When was the last time you saw "Drunk motorcyclist kills family of 4". Not impossible, but not nearly as likely as with a car or suv.

I would wager you have a better chance of being struck by lightning 10 times than being killed by flying bike debris.

Khyron

My Ride
    xs11

Default WOW, great feedback everyone

I just want to thank all of you for posting comments. Truth be told I have alot of respect for the cop who pulled me over, even if he was operating a speed trap- emphasis on the word 'trap'. There's a reson why the boys in blue refer to their favorite place to catch speeders as 'fishin holes'. Without admitting guilt I would say that this whole ticket experience has had a profound effect on me and my driving habits, the fines and insurance surcharges play a miniscule part in my decision to drive more safely. How does one explain to his wife and 3 young sons why dad was going so bloody fast, these are not the actions of a role model. Maybe that cop saved my life that day. I find that alot of the post here are by younger and/or inexperienced people. Although I don't agree with all of you, I still welcome any constuctive criticizm, as long as you keep it clean please.
    thanks
    Ken

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2