Quantcast
Sixth NYU Student in Year Commits Suicide - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Sixth NYU Student in Year Commits Suicide

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Default Sixth NYU Student in Year Commits Suicide

Sixth NYU Student in Year Commits Suicide

NEW YORK (AP) - A 23-year-old graduate student at New York University jumped to her death Monday on campus, the sixth such death involving an NYU student in the past year.

University spokesman Josh Taylor said the woman, a second-year graduate student at the school of performing and media arts, ``died as a result of an apparently intentional fall'' from the Tisch School of the Arts.

Police identified her as Joann Mitchell Levy, 23. She lived with her parents nearby in Greenwich Village, police spokeswoman Detective Mindy Diaz said.

The NYU community's ``deepest sympathies go out to the student's family and friends,'' Taylor said.

Five other NYU students have jumped to their deaths in the past year, and the medical examiner ruled four of the deaths as suicides, Taylor said. The medical examiner ruled one death as accidental related to the student's use of hallucinogenic mushrooms.

Two of the students jumped from the 10th floor of the university's Elmer Holmes Bobst Library. Three others jumped from apartment houses or other Manhattan buildings.

``The incidents of the past year have given us a lot of pause and time for reflection,'' Taylor said. ``While we'll never really know what causes someone to take an action like this, it's critical for members of the NYU community to remember that taking one's own life is never the right solution.''

God damn, Six students in one year... theres gotta be somethign fucked up at school that possesses (sp) these people to kill themselves... or just a coincidence...

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Suicide rates are going to soar, make no mistake.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am...
    My Ride
    That Blue Car

Default Re: Sixth NYU Student in Year Commits Suicide

Originally posted by DJ Lazy
    God damn, Six students in one year... theres gotta be somethign fucked up at school that possesses (sp) these people to kill themselves... or just a coincidence...
    peer pressure, thats all it is.

feeling they will never be good enough for thier parents/profs/friends whoever.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 10:27 PM.

isnt that where the olsen twins are going?
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Originally posted by kaput

Why?
    In the last 10-15 years or so, being PC and fair to all kids is giving us a generation who can't cope with failure or hardship.

In childrens sporting events, it's common for ALL the kids get medals/trophys because they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Kids who do shit in school are allowed to coast because the teachers are too stretched to deal with them - or don't want to deal with the lawsuits/threats of biggotry if they fail stupid kids.

And when you have a bunch of people who don't know how to lose - or more importantly how to overcome adversity you get adults who think losing their PS2 or failing a test is the end of the world and leap out a window because they can't cope.

Sociologists have been predicting it for some time. While there's always been suicides/people who can't cope, there's going to be a big increase in the next decade.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    2004 Tuscani

ya i remember when i was smaller...how everyone used to get medals, ribbons and stuff in races like back in grade 1 lol....you get this little green ribbon "25th place..good job" or something..

no wonder people cant cope with real failure...they think they will always get a pat on the back no matter how shitty they do..

My Ride
    Highlander

Originally posted by Khyron

In the last 10-15 years or so, being PC and fair to all kids is giving us a generation who can't cope with failure or hardship.

In childrens sporting events, it's common for ALL the kids get medals/trophys because they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Kids who do shit in school are allowed to coast because the teachers are too stretched to deal with them - or don't want to deal with the lawsuits/threats of biggotry if they fail stupid kids.

And when you have a bunch of people who don't know how to lose - or more importantly how to overcome adversity you get adults who think losing their PS2 or failing a test is the end of the world and leap out a window because they can't cope.

Sociologists have been predicting it for some time. While there's always been suicides/people who can't cope, there's going to be a big increase in the next decade.

Khyron
    Yeah I was actually watching some sitcom last month (cant remember which one) and a father's kid got a little trophy for coming in like 8th in a race and he was freaking that his kid got a trophy and was ranting about how that teaches him that it's okay to not try cause you'll get a reward either way. Well the kid overheard his father, interpreted it as him being called a loser and while everyone thought that the kid was ignoring his dad for an entire week leading up to another school race, it turns out he was practicing instead to show his dad that he could try...ended up getting third instead of 8th.

Sometimes tough love is the best love. I'd like my kids to be raised the same way. Getting prizes for being 8th in something is WAY overboard, what happened to 1st, 2nd and 3rd? It makes the kid who worked hard to get into the top three not want to try anymroe cause everyone else gets a prize too, so why try? And it teaches them exactly what Khyron was talking about...its okay to lose cause you'll always get a prize...but what happens when you lose and there isn't a prize?