Quantcast
Idle Problems - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Idle Problems

My Ride
    1993 Nissan 240sx

Unhappy Idle Problems

Okay,

When my car gets warmed up, and it's idling, the car goes down to 400-500 rpm and seems to start to choke then by itself revs to 1100 rpm. For my car 750 rpm idle is normal. This started yesterday in traffic on my way to work, quite suprised when it happened, car started shaking as it seemed to start dying.

Recently switched over to higer octane gas, don't know if that could have screwed up a sensor or something.

Slowly starting to get worse, so any help will be appreciated.

Funny thing it only happens when it idles, rev it higher that 2 g's and nothing's wrong.

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

sounds like an IAC,... I'm not any kind of expert in imports,... but I think all cars have an Idle Air Control,.... that mat be buggered,.... pobably won't hurt to pull off your Throttle Body and give it a good cleaning,... and if you're inclined,.. pull off your intake manifold and clean that as well,... for a car that's 12 years old,.. chances are it's pretty bloddy dirty in there.

P.S.,.. don't take it to a dealer to clean it,... when I brought my 93 minivan in to the dealer,... cost me almost $800 to clean the throttle body,.. bloddy rip offs!!!
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Same thing happened to me like 6 months ago, then suddenly it just stopped and never happened again and I never fixed it or anything...

Have you had ur car stall when ur coming to a stop while ur in neutral gear and braking?

Many ppl have told me this is a vaccum problem so check to see if any of ur vaccum hoses are cracked or leaking...and it happens randomly...but I think it has to due with the weather if its cold or hot or something
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    '85 900 turbo

check the AIC (automatic idle control), trace the wiring ECU and do a diagnostic to make sure that portion is still functional. check for sticky throttle bodies and any hoses that have to do with the intake.

if you're-ass-broke, i suppose you could try to disconnect the AIC and control idle by screw; that is to dial in the throttle a bit to simulate light pressure on the accelerator (to hold a steady idle, won't be pretty untill the engine warms up)

i'm only offering this advice on the assumption a cable throttle exists, and the throttle body is mechanically adjustable... and if the comp senses the AIC isn't responding and cuts off fuel... well you're off to the garage then