Quantcast
Petroleum Engineering Techs. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Petroleum Engineering Techs.

Default Petroleum Engineering Techs.

Hi I applied to NAIT for Petroleum Engineering Technology.

No i just need to finish off my career investigation.

I was wondering if there are any Petroleum Engineers here, so that I could ask a few questions.

Thanks

Sam

My Ride
    Toyota, VQ35DE, B58

I got the diploma, but I don't think I would be any of help to you....

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."
    -- Donald Rumsfeld

I know one who got a diploma from sait. Now he is going to school in Montana upgrading to a degree. Before he decided to upgrade he was working full time in the city. I'll PM you his email address

what kinda money can you make from this career starting off? with a sait diploma?

My Ride
    Toyota, VQ35DE, B58

That diploma was just a stepping stone for my transfer back to the UofC...but while I was studying for the diploma, I worked as a geologist assistant at Maxx petroleum for 13 bucks an hour. (not bad for a part time student job, don't think the company exist anymore....)

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."
    -- Donald Rumsfeld

Thanks for the email.

Some people I spoke to tell me that if you work up North you will make anywhere from 70 - 100 G's/ year

My Ride
    ////M

Im going into Petty for my second year at U of A, not that its any help to you
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

My Ride
    Burton Tadashi Fuse 154

I work at one of the top 3 natural gas producers in Canada, so here's my advice:

1) When the recruiters come, be ready. The summer student programs in Alberta are the best I've seen. Don't say you know stuff when you don't, the recruiters will eat you alive (we send our Superintendents, aka my boss). And grades matter.

2) Its mostly who you know, but you can always get in through #1. I'd say half of our 40 summer students were recruited.

3) We rarely hire SAIT/NAIT, most from UoA and UoC. But diploma grads start at about $18-22/hr, $21-25 for degrees. Mostly diplomas for Geo jobs.

There are a lot of jobs to be had, if you can't find one, work on the rigs or go back to school.

IMO if your gonna work in a field where a degree is needed, ie law, medicine, engineering then a degree is the best way to go. i know a few people that have gone back to upgrade from their sait/nait tech dipl. to a full degree. the moneys better and career oportunies are also better as well. don't get me wrong though, nothing wrong with a tech dipl. also. i have friends to that have a tech dipl. from sait and they're making pretty decent coin with responsibilites like engineers too. thing with them though was they showed they wanted management and more responsibilties plus it took them a lot longer to move up to like project managers and designers or team leads.

IMO do the extra 2 years at the University.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

Thanks for the info guys.

I have connections for work up north already.

A guy i spoke to already are making 100+ within his first 3 years. He told me your position depends entirely if you work for a uniion/nonunion company.

Sam

My Ride
    CTS-V (700+Hp), Supercharged Tundra, 1970 vette

I work in HR for a oil and gas service company and We like hiring PET grads from sait. We just hired two this summer. One for a outside sales position. Starting wage 45K a year plus commission, benefits and a truck. If you are a good seller 100k is no problem to make in a year. The other we hired for doing quotes and estimates for our production equipment.

the trick is to not get caught up with thinking that you can only work in the big companies operating. Service companies love you guys and you can actually do something different with your diploma.

Thanks for the info man.