Quantcast
disputing thread with incorrect info? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: disputing thread with incorrect info?

Default disputing thread with incorrect info?

quick question all...

Just got a ticket while driving downtown last night. There was a big accident, and the police had to close down the road ahead of me. The road was crazy... cop cars everywhere , yellow tape, drunks running between cars because the bar just let out. Anyways, I thought they had detoured traffic and was forcing everyone to turn right.

Turns out I was wrong, they were still treating the road as a one way LEFT. I turned right... made it about 2 FEET into the turn, (my tail end didnt even make it around the corner) stopped and backed up, and tried to make it over to the left. Again, i did not even complete the right hand turn...

A cop runs out from behind the yellow tape and pulls me over. He gets my license and registration, runs back to his vehicle and makes me wait. After 10 minutes or so he comes back, doesnt even tell he's charging me with, and wordlessly hands me back my stuff plus a ticket. Then he runs off. The ticket is for driving on the wrong side of the road.

This to me is ridiculous, they blocked off the far left lanes with police cars, ambulances and yellow tape.

I made a mistake yes, but it was so insignificant and under those circumstances, with cop cars strewn randomly about the road, its a little difficult to see where traffic is suppose to go.

Anyways, now my question...

They spelled my middle name wrong, they also spelled my address wrong... the mistakes are minor, like... they got one letter of my name wrong... and for my address, they spelled my road name MOUNT, but i live on MONT. I'm going to dispute this either way, but does the fact that the officer made spelling mistakes everywhere give me any sort of advantage?

And the usual question... can I go down to the office before my court date to dispute this?

Thanks in advance...

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

seems like the officer was in a bit of a adrenalin rage? mabwy he wont even show up for court?

anyone know what days the place at Rocky Mountain Plazda are open?

They are open Monday to Friday. You cannot just walk in and dispute your ticket. You can on the day on your ticket, or by appointment, presumably, speak with the first appearance crown prosecutor and discuss the matter. They may or may not offer you a deal, but without agreeing to a deal with the crown the only way to dispute the matter is to set a trial date and go to trial.

The spelling errors and $5 will get you a coffee at starbucks, but that's about it.
    Originally posted by 01RedDX

Eye for an eye should apply to both, like if you raped a cat, you would get raped by a bigger cat. Counselling doesn't work on animal rapists you clown.

My Ride
    It's held together by zip ties

Originally posted by BlueGoblin
    They are open Monday to Friday. You cannot just walk in and dispute your ticket. You can on the day on your ticket, or by appointment, presumably, speak with the first appearance crown prosecutor and discuss the matter. They may or may not offer you a deal, but without agreeing to a deal with the crown the only way to dispute the matter is to set a trial date and go to trial.

The spelling errors and $5 will get you a coffee at starbucks, but that's about it.
    alot of people get off with mistakes that the officers made. out of 3 tickets that I have recieved 2 of them were tossed due to mistakes, one time the officer called me up and told me to rip up the ticket. But talk to the crown and see what they have to say because in some cases they will toss the ticket or they will reduce the fine.

^ Some mistakes will void a ticket. Some won't. This is one that will not - it is not what is called a 'fatal error'. The prosecutor may choose to withdraw or stay the ticket because of the error, but they do not have to.
    Originally posted by 01RedDX

Eye for an eye should apply to both, like if you raped a cat, you would get raped by a bigger cat. Counselling doesn't work on animal rapists you clown.