Quantcast
HD-DVD or Blu-Ray? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: HD-DVD or Blu-Ray?

My Ride
    Memories...

Default HD-DVD or Blu-Ray?

As somewhat of an electronic junkie I usually like to have the latest technology, but this battle is really killing my excitement for high-definition movie enjoyment.

I thought it was just Sony pushing Blue-Ray but after looking at the charts in this article I think I might have to wait for the dust to settle before making the investment.

Who do you guys think will win? I am rooting for hd-dvd but really only becuase I have a Toshiba television and a 360.

i think hd-dvd will win because it will be cheaper ... the same thing happened to sonys betamax ... vhs won because it was more affordable .. as well big billy will do everything he can to make hd-dvd succesful ... and the only reason i might consider buying a ps3 is for bluray ... we will know soon enough ... i dont think you can get much better quality with bluray just more content ... thats my guess

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by beecue
    i think hd-dvd will win because it will be cheaper ... the same thing happened to sonys betamax ... vhs won because it was more affordable ..
    VHS didn't win shit. Betamax is still the industry standard for television studios and whatnot, an inustry in which the Beta is still going strong, despite the demise of VHS in the public market.

The main reason that Beta failed in the public market was that Sony wouldn't let third-party manufacturers sell Beta players - so all the manufactureres went VHS. However, Beta was still the superior medium.

My Ride
    Memories...

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

VHS didn't win shit. Betamax is still the industry standard for television studios and whatnot, an inustry in which the Beta is still going strong, despite the demise of VHS in the public market.

The main reason that Beta failed in the public market was that Sony wouldn't let third-party manufacturers sell Beta players - so all the manufactureres went VHS. However, Beta was still the superior medium.
    superior quality, but the standard tapes only hold 30 minutes which isn't very good for personal use.

My Ride
    944 535xi F250

? a l750 cassette holds 3+ hours or 4 1/2 at lowest speed, I keep a Beta machine just for F1 races cuz I could fit the whole race on a tape at good quality and the FF & REW functions were smoother & quicker

sanyo, toshiba and a few others had Beta machines

the market is littered with failed Sony formats...the 2 most enduring ones were Phillips/Sony collaborations..CC & CD.

phillips is onboard with BluRay ...lets see if the track record holds
    ninja trainers motto

always be able to kill your students

My Ride
    Bicycle

I really don't care who wins. Both are very close with BR being a bit more in capacity.

HD-DVD: 15/30 - Max 45
    BR: 25/50

The extra 10GB the BR brings in also comes with extra cost. And really uncessary in most cases.

Edit: Revised numbers
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-18-2006 at 08:46 AM.

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

I thought HD-DVD had a max of like 25GB, is the 45 version like a dual layer disc or something?

My Ride
    09 wrx265

Originally posted by /////AMG
    I thought HD-DVD had a max of like 25GB, is the 45 version like a dual layer disc or something?
    no, highest they have reached so far.
    theoretically its supposed to be 60 GB the limit for HD-DVD

anyway didnt know that they were gonna start releasing Blu-Ray movies soon, but apparently:
    -Hitch
    -The Fifth Element
    -Resident Evil:Apocalypse
    -xXx
    -House of Flying Daggers
    -50 First Dates
    -A Knight's Tale
    -The Last Waltz
    will be released this June for a SRP of US$28.95

I know May they started releasing HD-DVD movies which also have a SRP of US$28.95-34.98

my guess is HD-DVD will be in sligth advantage for now, this fall will be the real battle when the ps3 comes out.

my 2cents

frostyda9 Guest

Blu-Ray Board of Directors:

Apple
    Dell
    HP
    Hitachi
    LG
    Mitsubishi Electric
    Panasonic
    Pioneer
    Philips
    Samsung
    Sharp
    Sony (obviously)
    TDK
    Thomson
    Twentieth Century Fox
    Walt Disney
    Warner Bros.

If they can't make the format work with that kind of support, they're doing something wrong.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

i think its a matter of who ever can get it out to the market fast enough.

people want the technology, where and who they get it from first is what's going to make or break it for Blue ray and HD DVD.

Admitting though ( HD-DVD ) the name in its simplicity will garner more interest and recognizability

My Ride
    MB C63

futureshop already has the toshiba hd-dvd player and they have dvds for sale in the format already as well

im all for hd-dvd cuz the player is backwards compatible its gonna be more affordable and while blu-ray discs may have the capacity down good who really needs a 100gb disc playing a movie?

i think both will make it to the market however blu-ray wont be something most consumers will buy due to price...i think larger corporations will use it for backup and what not..basically like a hardrive on cd!
    hd-dvd will be a better consumer purchase because of price and also backwards capability of dvd discs.

wouldnt you rather have one unit than 2?

edit: unit is for sale too
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...98&catid=24136
    Last edited by djayz; 05-18-2006 at 05:55 PM.

My Ride
    09 wrx265

Originally posted by djayz
    futureshop already has the toshiba hd-dvd player and they have dvds for sale in the format already as well

im all for hd-dvd cuz the player is backwards compatible its gonna be more affordable and while blu-ray discs may have the capacity down good who really needs a 100gb disc playing a movie?

i think both will make it to the market however blu-ray wont be something most consumers will buy due to price...i think larger corporations will use it for backup and what not..basically like a hardrive on cd!
    hd-dvd will be a better consumer purchase because of price and also backwards capability of dvd discs.

wouldnt you rather have one unit than 2?

edit: unit is for sale too
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...mp;catid=24136
    Toshiba HD DVD Player (HD-A1) $699.99
    Samsung Blu-Ray Disc Player (BD-P1000) $1299.99

w/c is why I believe Sony is expecting mainly blu-ray to be popular because of ps3 sales this fall for ERP of $659

the prices of HD-DVD and B-R movies are fairly same, if not B-R 3-5$ a little more expensive
    HD-DVD
    http://www.futureshop.ca/search/sear...=EN&search=KWS
    B-R
    http://www.futureshop.ca/search/sear...=EN&search=KWS

blu-ray players can play dvds, cds too

My Ride
    MB C63

^
    ohh my bad...i thought blu-ray wasnt going to be backwards compatible with dvds but since it is that changes things a little

but price wise theres still a huge difference
    does hd-dvd play 1080p content? cuz i see that blu-ray does

and holy shit that samsung player is sexy looking
    i saw that at futureshop i just thought it was a reciever or something haha

if bluray players are 1200 in november .. then ps3 is a very good investment

My Ride
    Model S

hopefully the world is smart enough to not go with a sony format.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by beecue
    if bluray players are 1200 in november .. then ps3 is a very good investment
    Obviously the blu-ray player in the PS3 will not be as gooda as the ones in a $1200 unit. The DVD movie quality in the PS2 & Xbox were inferior to $100 players you could get at walmart. PS3 will be a good deal for people that just want to get into blu-ray but if you are looking for the best possible picture it will be through the standalone units not the PS3.

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

Just boycott PS3 for the first few months, then they'll learn their lesson and PS4 will be insane (yah right) lol.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

I think the lower cost one will win over. Blu-ray sounds like it's going to cost over $1000 for just a player, and who knows how much more their blu-ray dvds will cost. I would like to see blu-ray come out on top, but for an extra 10gigs of storage, I don't think it's going to make a huge difference

My Ride
    RX300

^ well blu ray can go up to 8layers making it 200gb, single-layer disc can hold 25GB, a dual-layer disc 50GB, a four-layer 100GB and an eight-layer 200GB

Over 9 hours of high-definition (HD) video on a 50GB disc
    About 23 hours of standard-definition (SD) video on a 50GB disc

i guess those dvds that have hours on end of extras all in HD would probably be able to use up all that storage
    trying is the first step towards failure

My Ride
    Ev0

Default Re: HD-DVD or Blu-Ray?

Originally posted by asuth077
    As somewhat of an electronic junkie I usually like to have the latest technology, but this battle is really killing my excitement for high-definition movie enjoyment.

I thought it was just Sony pushing Blue-Ray but after looking at the charts in this article I think I might have to wait for the dust to settle before making the investment.

Who do you guys think will win? I am rooting for hd-dvd but really only becuase I have a Toshiba television and a 360.
    LOL that's pretty much why I'm pulling for HD-DVD too... Toshiba TV and 360 Also because HD-DVD will be more affordable and hence more accessible to more people. Seriously, in a few months time would you rather pay say $500 for the next gen player or $1000? 500 I can justify but not a 1000.