Quantcast
SOCI201 with Henderson - Tips, etc? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: SOCI201 with Henderson - Tips, etc?

Exclamation SOCI201 with Henderson - Tips, etc?

So I'm taking SOCI201 with Henderson for Winter 2007.

So far, people are freaking me out because they say that it's a pretty hard class. I have to take notes, there's no powerpoints, etc. I'm pretty smart, I read a lot, I attend all my classes everyday, take notes, do great on exams, etc. I don't know if I can take notes as she's talking, but I guess I'll definitely try. I don't want to drop this class.

I mean, today I wrote down everything she said (she's been divorced for 20 years, 2 sons, blah blah blah). But if I keep writing down everything she says, it's going to be like 100 pages back to back.

Are there any tips/hints that anyone can share? Am I going to end up scribbling for the entire 50 minutes everyday? Should I go to Bound and Copied and buy some of her previous exams?

Thanks.

Henderson will spend 50% of the entire semester talking about herself. Fat bitch can't get enough of the try-hards in the front row sucking her proverbial dick.

Last year on the last day of classes, some suckups performed a fucking SONG for her - and get this - she MADE everyone stay for the whole thing; people were getting up to pick up their exam study guides and she REFUSED to let them leave.

Read all the notes, read her stupid photocopies of worthless articles, attend all your classes and tutorials and remember all the bullshit she constantly spews about herself.

Woman is DYING to be a hero-teacher (ie. watched mr holland's opus ONE too many times).

Everyone says Manzo is fantastic - too bad you didn't get him. Now you have to put up with that clusterfuck whale of a headcase Henderson.

Wear a t-shirt that says something like "volleyball sucks" and she'll probably rant about it for 20 minutes before crying like a 14 year old. No wonder her husband left her.

Oh and by the way, (in her words) "I'm not bitter"

Manzo talks about himself and rants 50% of the time too, he wasn't much better than this prof sounds, but he did at least have some good jokes.

My Ride

Originally posted by method
    Fat bitch can't get enough of the try-hards in the front row sucking her proverbial dick.
    I wonder if profs ever google themselves

My Ride
    2001 black box

you shouldve took doetzel shes sooo good and easy the midterm was the multiple choice questions at the end of each chapter, and i have her textbook still as well change if you can !

I had 2 profs that actually talked about how they periodically google themselves...

My Ride

Originally posted by tson
    you shouldve took doetzel shes sooo good and easy the midterm was the multiple choice questions at the end of each chapter, and i have her textbook still as well change if you can !
    Your kidding right? You can learn more from just flipping though a random text, than from going to her class. Any one that is even considering Doetzel should first look at her reviews on ratemyprof.com. Her midterm was directly out of the text, everyone pretty much got 100%l, that the dean had to interfere and take ~10-15% off everyones grades (so I'm guessing she wont do this again). The final had about 25 repeated questions and a ton of errors (last thing you want to deal with on a final). Oh I almost forgot how she lies and tells students they have a quiz the next day but she never ends up having one (blackmail as a form of enforcing class attendance?). She starts every sentence off with "when I was doing my 4th degree, when I was volunteering in Peru, when I was saving native drug addicts etc...whoring out how 'good of a person' she is pretty much on a daily basis. The best part is how she uses powerpoint everyday, but still starts every class 20 minutes late because after god knows how many years she still cannot use it without problems.

i had the male gay prof last sem..forgot his name..haha...that class was easy...

My Ride
    X3

You either like Linda or you hate her. That's the consensus that's been around for years. I took several classes with her and I really don't see what everyone's complaining about.

Well don't take notes on everything--regardless if it's with Henderson or any other prof on campus. It's not high school; there's no chance ANY prof will stop for you and make sure you have all the notes.

With Linda... filter info and take point form; make your own abbreviations...learn to know what's important. Your textbook (i.e. bold words) should give you an idea about what's important. Especially with Soci 201. Stupid easy course if you know how to filter out the important topics and know that theories. She often gives study hints near midterms, so hope you catch on to those. Even with the articles... no one is asking you to memorize it. Catch on to the theory and bridge it to what she talks about.

Why don't you go talk to the woman. She's probably the most open-door prof there is in the Soci department, and as a former Soci major, I'm going to tell you straight out that she is a great help if you talk to her. She didn't win teaching excellence awards for nothing.

Hope these tips help you get through her course.

My Ride
    96' Toyota Tacoma

Henderson is a SICK teacher, but you have to go to class. She writes everything that is important on the board, and like says the things that are going to be on the test a million times over so you get the hint. She's actually pretty funny too. All you have to do it copy down the shit on the board and you're set.

As for the comment about the kids in the front row. ROFLMAO!! so funny it's ridiculous - all band kids.

Crystal?

Hinderson was fun for me.

Anything she writes on the board, read it in the text.
    Use your brain and filter what you think you need to know.

Remember which guy did that theroem and write down the feminest tree.

I had a fun time in that class. It was a breather course.
    I donno why ppl are so harsh with her.

She's a person who has fun while she does her job.

I had a laptop in her class and my hands where moving most of the time to jot stuff down in point form that i would look up later.

Heh, I'm taking her for soci201 this semester as well. First time I've had a class in the huge lecture hall since my first year, if you get a seat against one of the walls on the side you can take a really nice nap during class.

Originally posted by whiskas
    Heh, I'm taking her for soci201 this semester as well. First time I've had a class in the huge lecture hall since my first year, if you get a seat against one of the walls on the side you can take a really nice nap during class.
    I wouldn't advise sleeping in her class, she'll catch you and wake you up.

She was a pretty good prof, i liked her